Please Valve stop this title spamming

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
http://www.webhallen.com/prod.php?id=36355

Have you seen anything so pathetic attempt of making money than that. First we have to pay for a manual then we are going to pay extra for this crap? Is Gabe insane? If you wonder about the price it´s about 40$ translated to USD.

It´s so pathetic it´s starting to become a comedy.

lol...i wouldn't even know if fan boys would buy that. kinda like the ultimate matrix...i dunno if even a fan boy would watch 35 hours of extras. what a waste.

Well, it is an attempt to make money, that's what companies do. Make money. Money. Money. Wow, what a new and innovative concept.

Actually this book was released before the game. And why are you complaining here about it? Wouldn't it be more productive to complain @ www.steampowered.com? And how many games can you think of that didn't have a guide or a walkthru book that came out? (recently anyway)

yeah it is. but i think they have better things to worry about than publish a book on how much it was delayed..lol

EDIT: thats a new one too...lol "title spamming"

[H] is spammed everywhere...so accuse them of title spamming lol.

Well why don´t movie companies do it? They include tons of extra without extra cost really ;)

There is better and worse and Valve is the worst in this case. Take Riddick for example it include commentary through the whole game that and the game a lot cheaper than Half Life 2 ;).

If you buy a movie do you later on buy an extra disc with special material? It´s great to have if it´s included in the game for free or a reasonable amount of money. If that DVD was 5$ I would consider it. Though I have no illusions the quality of it will be even close to the best movie extras ;)

It´s pathetic whatever way you look at it

Sheik Yerbouti said:
Actually this book was released before the game. And why are you complaining here about it? Wouldn't it be more productive to complain @ www.steampowered.com? And how many games can you think of that didn't have a guide or a walkthru book that came out? (recently anyway)

Why? I would spare me posting it in a Half Life 2 (you know the word) forum and have no illusion it would make a difference anyway. I am just commenting on something that is some real pathetic attempt of making money.

Most games ship with a manual even if it´s pdf ;)

Just a suggestion. I understand you're just venting. But several other software companies do the same thing, as do movie companies (LotR: Return of the King; Extended edition, is just one example.)
All that I am saying is that this issue isn't just isolated to Valve.

I really don't see what the problem is here. If you don't want it.... novel idea here... don't buy it.

oqvist said:
Why? I would spare me posting it in a Half Life 2 (you know the word) forum and have no illusion it would make a difference anyway. I am just commenting on something that is some real pathetic attempt of making money.

Most games ship with a manual even if it´s pdf ;)

Doesn't seem any more pathetic than any other way people make money.

Hey, I happily bought this book and the one about the making of Doom 3.

I'm a little disappointed because it focuses more on game art and concepts than writing about the game making process. In fact, I would call it more of an art book, than a game book.

The one about Doom 3 actually has more facts about the game however both are worthwhile for fans.

The book "Masters of Doom" was better though.

there is a lady on Ebay that boxes up tumbleweeds and sells them ....

"See how we leaked the source code on purpose in order to buy us more time to complete the game!"

:D

Yes please note that I am just venting. I just think it´s pathetic that Valve wants to charge for every single aspect of the game. What is next. We will have to pay for AI, Story, Weapons and Levels separately :rolleyes:

Valve is the most greedy company in the game business with exception of EA it seems.

As for Lord of the rings if you count the budget to produce that extras and compare it to making this Half Life 2 book do you think they can compete in production values? And this is much much more expensive :rolleyes:

oh well, this is absolutely no different than buying the LOTR: collectors edition, with that extra 2-3 hours of footage.

valve is here to make money, pleasing the community is just secondary in nature. at the end of the day, they are still a business.

that being said, i'd probably still wind up buying that "making of" for HL2. game development fascinates me to no end.

oqvist said:
Yes please note that I am just venting. I just think it´s pathetic that Valve wants to charge for every single aspect of the game. What is next. We will have to pay for AI, Story, Weapons and Levels separately :rolleyes:

Valve is the most greedy company in the game business with exception of EA it seems.

As for Lord of the rings if you count the budget to produce that extras and compare it to making this Half Life 2 book do you think they can compete in production values? And this is much much more expensive :rolleyes:
This isn't an aspect of the game, it's an addition that targets the enthusiast that would be interested in such a subject. They're not asking you to pay for AI, Weapons or a story - this is a book that focuses on how the game was made and ideas the developers had.

I don't see it so much as greedy, more as having more to offer than the other companies. They're putting out more content for a game, than most companies do. Alot just throw the game out and reap the revenue.

As others said, don't buy it - but, it's business, get used to it.

think about all the positive shit that's come out with HL2 :

1) Counter-Strike: Source - Valve didn't have to release this. They gave it to the community because we were tired of getting the lip service about HL2. Granted they did skimp on the models / maps, it was still a pretty bad assed release for the CS gamer.

2) HL2 Deathmatch - Again, this is just a bonus that they've decided to release. Coupled with the fact that they are offering a $3000 mapping prize, i'd say that's pretty generous.

3) Fixing the Bugs - Valve was fairly quick to address bugs in the game. Graphical glitches can equate mostly to driver issues, as proven by forceware/catalyst driver releases. The only outstanding bug I know of now is "the memory could not be read" bug. I have a feeling this is due to poor system setup, rather than a fault with valves programming.

Valve was never out to screw the community. I think Steam is a GREAT idea, and is pretty much the future pertaining to patching / internet play. Unfortunately it's had a plethora of issues, but that's to be expected from something WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN DONE IN THE INDUSTRY BEFORE.

Take a look at all the other game dev houses on the planet. I can guarantee you that 95% of them can't even come close to the level of community / support that Valve has come to the table with. Go read Shacknews - Erik Johnson & a few other employees went around and single-handedly helped out users in their forums who were experiencing problems. That's pretty cool, IMO.

1. Would rather see a HL 2 based multiplayer game than an old Counterstrike with new graphics. Also Valve didn´t make Counterstrike in the first place.

2. That makes me go to number two which is what you should expect from a game nothing extra in any way.

3. Valve invented the biggest bug of all time named Steam so can´t give them credit on that either. No excuse whatsoever that it´s the first in the industry. They shouldn´t release it until it´s ready it´s as simple as that. But as greedy as Valve is they couldn´t prevent them from releasing it early :rolleyes

As for community support may be good don´t have experience with that. But my question is why Valve would agree to settle for less than what just about every other company except EA and Microsoft gives you?

But this is a total different discussion :) :

oqvist said:
1. Would rather see a HL 2 based multiplayer game than an old Counterstrike with new graphics. Also Valve didn´t make Counterstrike in the first place.

2. That makes me go to number two which is what you should expect from a game nothing extra in any way.

3. Valve invented the biggest bug of all time named Steam so can´t give them credit on that either. No excuse whatsoever that it´s the first in the industry. They shouldn´t release it until it´s ready it´s as simple as that. But as greedy as Valve is they couldn´t prevent them from releasing it early :rolleyes

As for community support may be good don´t have experience with that. But my question is why Valve would agree to settle for less than what just about every other company except EA and Microsoft gives you?

But this is a total different discussion :) :

1) give it time. you need to remember that this game was released less than a month ago.

2) see number 1. on top of it, not every game you buy guarantees you multiplayer. HL2DM/CS:S is a bonus, not a "right"

3) it's a work in progress. like i said, it's unprecedented in the gaming industry, it's going to have bugs. i know it's had tons of problems, and they really need to dump resources / time in to pleasing the user's experience w/ steam.

also, you can thank vivendi for some of the problems people have been having. i believe if valve concentrated solely on their steam component, and didn't have to deal with vivendi's BS, you would have had a much smoother steam experience.

also i'd like to add the following :

i've had *one* problem with steam : when they release patches / updates, the servers are so bogged down that i get that lovely "cannot connect blah blah blah" error. that is due to the sheer amount of people that do use steam.

in my experiences, it has been pretty smooth. they added a backup option for your games, it validates the game cache to make sure your game isn't corrupted, etc. it really does have some impressive features that you won't find in any other games out in the market.

for $60, i got a bunch of older valve powered games(a dozen or so), and FOUR new games they released powered by the HL2 engine. 3 of which i can play, DoD:source has yet to be released.

Raising the Bar is intended as a art/coffee table book. It was not really intended to be something you received with the game. It is an awesome book with alot of great concept art not seen in any of the games. It covers the story of Valve before they even started the original Half-Life. I would have paid more than they are asking just for the artwork. The Doom 3 book is killer too.

I'm the Dude said:
Hey, I happily bought this book and the one about the making of Doom 3.

I'm a little disappointed because it focuses more on game art and concepts than writing about the game making process. In fact, I would call it more of an art book, than a game book.

The one about Doom 3 actually has more facts about the game however both are worthwhile for fans.

The book "Masters of Doom" was better though.

Masters of Doom was an AMAZING book, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the doom series, or id software.

WOE IS ME! Take your pity party else where guys. You act with such hatred towards Valve, when it's all fairly unwarranted.

Steam sucks? Okay - than why's it work for so many people? I have not once come across a single problem personally. I've only heard about them from people here.

Valve sucks? Okay - don't buy their damn products. Plain and simple. If you don't like their business practices, than move along. I personally don't see what the big deal is. They are a business, and at the end of the day if they aren't making money somethings wrong. They are only insuring they will end their day with a profit. Can't blame them really. Get a job where you can see the impact of your work and the money it makes, and i think you'd understand.

Other industry's have been releasing books related to their materal (movies, musicians, games, even BOOKS have books about them) for quite some time now. It's not a new practice by any means. Look at all the books made about The Matrix, and Lord of the Rings alone. Than there's CG animated movies, and the books that followed them.

Also, why did no one get upset when id released the books on Doom3? OH i know! its because everyone here hates Valve for no damn reason!

Get over it guys. If you were so sick of Valve you would try to move on with your lifes and play another game.

edit: and no, i'm not a valve fan boy. not by any measure of the word. i liked the game, but i haven't played it in weeks since i beat it. w/e.

there is much dumbassery in this thread. its a product, you don't have to buy it if you don't want to. commence with the whine-fest.

Back