Please sugtiongest me pfSense or IPcop

I like PFSense a little better, the QoS/Traffic shaping is superior...important to me for online gaming, and limiting impact of other PCs to it.

Try both...can set either up very quick, see which you prefer.

They're both really good distributions. IPCop has qutie a few add-ons that you can install to add more functionality but overall, you can't go wrong by using either one.

I'd say just try them both out and see which one you prefer.

I agree both are good, I have already installed the Pfsense on CF card and it looks neat, I like the Captive Portal too. I assume in any case Ipcop will require more resource than Pfsense?

I agree both are good, I have already installed the Pfsense on CF card and it looks neat, I like the Captive Portal too. I assume in any case Ipcop will require more resource than Pfsense?

http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=48

http://www.ipcop.org/1.4.0/en/quickstart/html/requirements.html

Both run on wicked old software. When you add features and services...that's when you start to need to up the horsepower. Such as if you install the UTM add-on package for IPCop called "Copfilter", or run Squid proxy.

But as you can see by the above links....starting requirements are classic Pentiums socket 7....such as Pentium 100MHz...stuff from back in the Win 3.x and early Win95a days.

As long as you don't go nuts with the addons or try to run content filtering the board should run ipcop fine. I personally agree with yeold on preferring pfsense though.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I am testing now the pfSense and do the ipcop later.

Please tell me if there is a link or website from where I can check my firewall is working and my network is protected?

Best advice is...try a bunch of them. I remember years ago when I first started dorkin around with the *nix router distros....I had a bunch of CDs kicking around, I'd keep trying this one and that one and another one..and frequently going back around and trying them all over again.

Even now, I fire up another rig just to dork around with a new version of some distro...like this weekend I'm probably going to power down PFSense, and setup an IBM x335 with Untangle 6.0 on it...going to help one of the devels with an IPSec add-on soon.

The distros are small, costs pocket change and a few minutes of your time to burn the ISOs to CD. Many of them support booting from the CD with a "Live" feature so you can test drive them without even running through the install routine.

IPCop was probably the very first *nix router distro I tried..many years ago. It has a good portion of the market share, tons of add-on for it. But, IMO...it hasn't changed much, seems dated. When you're done installing all your add-on packages..that interface is cluttered and hacked looking.

Give it a try.
Give Endian a try too...very solid product, it's built on IPCop with the Copfilter add-on..all tied together in a slick interface. Decent UTM features without requiring high horsepower. Runs better/quicker in my experience than IPCop w/Copfilter too.

But...give several different distros a try. Think of the features that you want out of it..as each distro has its strengths and weaknesses. See which one fits your hardware and your needs the best.

You'll most likely find that no matter which one you pick...it kicks the crap out of any "off the shelf" retail router that you could purchase for under 5 grand.

Best advice is...try a bunch of them. I remember years ago when I first started dorkin around with the *nix router distros....I had a bunch of CDs kicking around, I'd keep trying this one and that one and another one..and frequently going back around and trying them all over again.

Even now, I fire up another rig just to dork around with a new version of some distro...like this weekend I'm probably going to power down PFSense, and setup an IBM x335 with Untangle 6.0 on it...going to help one of the devels with an IPSec add-on soon.

The distros are small, costs pocket change and a few minutes of your time to burn the ISOs to CD. Many of them support booting from the CD with a "Live" feature so you can test drive them without even running through the install routine.

IPCop was probably the very first *nix router distro I tried..many years ago. It has a good portion of the market share, tons of add-on for it. But, IMO...it hasn't changed much, seems dated. When you're done installing all your add-on packages..that interface is cluttered and hacked looking.

Give it a try.
Give Endian a try too...very solid product, it's built on IPCop with the Copfilter add-on..all tied together in a slick interface. Decent UTM features without requiring high horsepower. Runs better/quicker in my experience than IPCop w/Copfilter too.

But...give several different distros a try. Think of the features that you want out of it..as each distro has its strengths and weaknesses. See which one fits your hardware and your needs the best.

You'll most likely find that no matter which one you pick...it kicks the crap out of any "off the shelf" retail router that you could purchase for under 5 grand.

Thanks for your suggestions... I will do it.

Please tell me if there is a link or website from where I can check my firewall is working and my network is protected?

Thanks for your suggestions... I will do it.

They start out just like any NAT router you'd purchase at the store....all 65,000 ports worth of incoming traffic is blocked by NAT.

Course I'll pimp my home...
http://www.speedguide.net/scan.php

But many other security scans out there, like Shields Up!

I've been running pfsense 1.21 RC2 for about 2 weeks no with absolutely no problems. Its based on freeBSD 7, so it has a newer kernel. They are tentatively stating Christmas day as the release date for 1.21 Final.

also of note:
http://blog.pfsense.org/?p=315

I have noticed that snort is not in pfSense. how important is snort?

I've seen add-on packages to install Snort on PFSense. But PFSense isn't much a UTM distro, it's meant more for speed and QoS.

Is snort important for the home user? IMO....nah!

Okay guys, I tested the IPcop, but I liked the pfSense since it looks neat and one of my primary need is Captive Portal. I tried CopSpot with Ipcop but it is not for Green interface.

I hope my selection of pfSense is good and wait for the snort to come in the future for the pfSense.

Thanks for all your support :)

I think you'll like it. I'm going to be doing a PFsense installation sometime soon for a customer for about 60 users and 3 seperate networks all routed though pfsense for interwebs. Yay!

Back