Please suggest external 4 drive enclosure

ymee

Weaksauce
Guys,

I need an enclosure with cooling fan that can hold up to 4 drives. I plan on installing 4x 750GB drives in this enclosure and then connect it to my HTPC via Firewire/USB or eSATA depending on what the enclosure offers.

I do not plan on using RAID and if the drives show up as 4 independent drives that is fine. Essentially I want the cheapest possible solution.

I'm hoping someone here has a good suggestion :-D
Thanks

are you using this enclosure? I already have an esata port on my motherboard...do I need to use their controller?

Also what Raid mode do you have to use to just have the disks show up as 1, is that JBOD? in that case, if one disk fails do I loose data on all the disks?

That enclosure uses port multiplier so unless your mobo sata chipset supports pm you will have to use the enclosed controller. As for teh drives showing as 1 you can use raid0 (u loose ALL data if 1 drive dies) or JBOD (you only loose the data on the drive that died). If you are willing to sacrifice 1 disk worth of space for some redundancy you could run raid5, that way if 1 drive dies you don't loose any data.

are you using this enclosure? I already have an esata port on my motherboard...do I need to use their controller?

Also what Raid mode do you have to use to just have the disks show up as 1, is that JBOD? in that case, if one disk fails do I loose data on all the disks?

I use that enclosure, just has ATA/100 internal connections, and ported over USB2.0. Solid product, have used it 24x7x265 for the past year, with various combinations of HD's, with no problem. You dont need to use their controller. And JBOD is that, and I have used that safely on 2x500 and 2x250 gigers with no problems, one harddrive started clicking, i backed up to another array, and swapped the drive. Presto-changeo, no data loss, even tho one of four drives started to fail. YMMV, of course, but its a solid enclosure. :D

Back