Please stop the news posts

Lunar

Limp Gawd
Can we please stop flooding this forum with news posts? I see all of this news reading phoronix, fossbytes, etc. I don't need to see it here burying actual conversations among [H] users. Please stop. I may be alone in this, but considering the low reply count on the majority of these news posts, I'm going to assume I'm not alone here.

And if I am alone on this, I'll be more than happy to shut up about it.

Isn't it good to keep up with what's going on in the Linux community?

For so long nothing exciting actually happened regarding Linux, in the last few years the awareness of the operating system has grown considerably to the point where it's actually newsworthy with some interesting and exciting advancements, in relation to gaming I like to post up and coming titles as I believe that promoting the efforts of developers that develop for the community is actually very important.

How about we keep the repetitive news posts to a minimum? Example: Upcoming Ubuntu forks? At the same time, if you don't like the news articles, feel free to post a thread regarding some interesting discussion relating to Linux or alternate operating systems - I posted my findings regarding Gnome not that long ago and I'm thinking of posting a review on my MorphOS machine as I'm sure there's not many users that would have experienced MorphOS before.

The news articles can look repetitive because no one actually posts anything interesting. I moderate another very popular overclocking forum based around similar topics and the discussion is interesting, there's a sense of community, there's moderators responsible for their own forums and they're controlled without being gestapo like; Seven moderators for the whole forums isn't enough, these forums are very under moderated and complaints usually result in either nothing or knee jerk reactions resulting in banning - It would be really nice to see such discussion here instead of the usual flamewars degrading into all out s... fights ;)

Certain people try to claim that I'm over the top, too opinionated, and I admit I definitely believe in standing up for one's beliefs where others are posting misinformed information as truth - Nine times out of ten what really happens is that I make a factual post regarding Linux and get literally swamped and attacked by the so called 'unbiased' who claim to be unbiased because their bias sways towards Windows, as a result I spend the rest of the thread defending myself until the original point of the thread is completely lost.

I've made a decision that for now on every thread I post in the linux sub forum will be closed the second someone starts attacking unjustly (naturally sometimes a bit of heated discussion is quite exciting and gets the blood pumping) and unreasonably dragging the thread off course (it's human nature for discussion to wonder of course around alternate topics at times, and that's fine provided people listen to reason and return back to the actual topic at hand when asked). Lets focus on improving our community, I'm not too sure how long many of you have been using Linux, but I can assure you, these are exciting times for all of us.

Respect Lunar. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Angry
like this
I tend to pass over threads with 0 replies and titles that feel copy/pasted from other news outlets I already visit/have visited. However, I think if a poster wants to link external news with the intent to have a actual conversation about the topic, that should be welcomed. ... they just have to digest it a bit and have a personal take to start the conversation, IMO. The opinions on the [H] are pretty interesting at times.

Can we please stop flooding this forum with news posts? I see all of this news reading phoronix, fossbytes, etc. I don't need to see it here burying actual conversations among [H] users. Please stop. I may be alone in this, but considering the low reply count on the majority of these news posts, I'm going to assume I'm not alone here.

At 102 posts over 10 years few if any of these supposed conversations being buried involve you anyway as either thread creator or poster so what does it matter ? It's not like you are starting any stimulating conversation or bringing any opinions to any threads. Feel free to change that.

At 102 posts over 10 years few if any of these supposed conversations being buried involve you anyway as either thread creator or poster so what does it matter ? It's not like you are starting any stimulating conversation or bringing any opinions to any threads. Feel free to change that.
So, I'll try to reply to this without being a jerk, but the reason my post count is so low, is because until recently (about 2 months) I wasn't active on the forums. However, I've participated in quite a few of the discussions in recent time, and that would be why my post count went up from about 25 2 months ago to what it is now. I'm also not one who believes post count is the be all end all of someones worth as a community member. Quality over quantity. I try to help where I can, post opinions when I think they are worthwhile, and I tend to try and shy away from the argumentative crap that a lot of the threads devolve into. This thread wasn't meant as an attack, but as a request. I'm fine with discussing interesting topics, but when the majority of news regurgitating posts recently have 0 replies, I have to question how worthwhile those are.

Perhaps creating a linux news subforum at the top would be a good compromise. Seeing as interest in Linux is growing so much, maybe we need to expand the Linux forum.

I have an idea: Perhaps you should let the people interested in posting linux news just post their news and you choose not to read them. Ok?

I tend to pass over threads with 0 replies and titles that feel copy/pasted from other news outlets I already visit/have visited. However, I think if a poster wants to link external news with the intent to have a actual conversation about the topic, that should be welcomed. ... they just have to digest it a bit and have a personal take to start the conversation, IMO. The opinions on the [H] are pretty interesting at times.
Yeah, that type of news posting is great, but posting a link to an article about new NVIDIA drivers is just a waste of screen real estate, whereas discussion about a new OGL could become very interesting.

are we talking about Front Page [H] News threads?...or something specific to Linux News?...I'm confused

Well, don't read those threads? As for "burying" conversations, threads going back to last month are still on the front page of this subforum, so I am going to suggest that you are not exactly buried in anything.

lets be fair... this subforum is being used by? 5 of us...
Now Phoronix & GoL are in my always open list so seeing such links here isn't really new news HOWEVER... this is a discussion forum and each site attracts different types of people
I can't stand having "discussions" on the phoronix forums and only post when there is outright FUD. GoL is more just woohoo ...
I also cross-post onto the Gentoo forums but that is because of the discussions that come from the gentoo locals

Don't attack, Lunar had a point and his entitled to express it. Personally I'm gonna try and limit the repetitiveness of news articles and where possible try to dig stories up with a bit of depth.

Good job Lunar.;)

I catch some of the linux news here before other sites as I hang out here more. I don't really mind nor notice "repetitive" linux news here.

Back