PLEASE stop telling newbies to get the DFI nF4 Ultra-D!

daglesj said:
I 'd like to learn to fly, no previous experience. Would you recommend say..an F16? :).

now your taking something totally different and extreme so you could TRY to sound remotely reasonable. Idiot. I totally welcome newbies to this board, buy and force yourself to learn. Remember when most kids wanted to drive a stick shift but nobody knew how? I bought myself 1 and forced myself to learn

aldy402 said:
now your taking something totally different and extreme so you could TRY to sound remotely reasonable. Idiot. I totally welcome newbies to this board, buy and force yourself to learn. Remember when most kids wanted to drive a stick shift but nobody knew how? I bought myself 1 and forced myself to learn

I hope you didnt kill anyone in the process then. :) I didnt think the comment too extreme, you shouldnt take stuff so seriously old chap. :) ;)

Stick shifts are fun and easy, thats pretty much all you get in Europe. Then again we do have to deal with corners too. :cool:

Back to topic though, If you look at the post I pretty much state that anyone with a modicum of common sense should be ok with this board. Newbie (such a crap term) or experienced user alike. Though we all have bad/dumb days when we make mistakes. Usually though a cup of tea and a short brake cures most of them.

Wingy said:
Seems like they would have had to know how to get to the bios before they found out they couldn't hit 9*300 1T 1:1 with Value memory..

Unfortunatly not. They use tweaking software... They often don't know what BIOS is...

im a n00b to the forums, as im sure you could tell...but im not exactly a n00b to overclocking, nor to computers, but back on my Athlon XP system, i went from an Asus A7V8X-X and a ThoroughBred XP 1800+ to a DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B, and a XP 3000+ barton, now while the DFI board had sooooo many features available, being an amatuer i had no idea what half of them did, so i left things to stock, and i had ALOT of problems, the bios wouldnt even flash, but manually setting timings for the RAM, after vieweing a FAQ on it, to what the SPD settings were, solved most of the problems, i know the post talks about the nf4 ultra but i think the complexity of DFI Lanparty boards is something a newbie shouldnt tackle with unless they feel confident enough to master them, and im basing that both on my experience, and the experience that the others on this post have said about their DFI boards. but hey, what do i know? im just a n00b :D

cell_491 said:
i dissagree...stability is stability despite what you have to do to get it. The DFI board is super stable if everything is configured correctly

No. That's like buying a car that's advertised to get 43MPG and in reality it gets 8MPG and you've got to tweak the damn car to get it to run properly. That's bullshit.

Any motherboard worth a shit is stable out of the box and compatible with most name brand memory modules and PSU's. Sadly the DFI board doesn't do any of that. You also shouldn't have to update the BIOS out of the box to make it stable. That's more bullshit.

As far as I am concerned the DFI NF4 Ultra-D and SLi boards are the most overrated motherboards on the market today. They've got this strange cult fallowing, but the bottom line is, any board that doesn't work flawlessly out of the box, or damn close to it, might as well be an ECS.

Performance is useless without stability. I've got years of building experience and I've worked professionally as a bench tech and in IT for 9 years. I am no noob. But I can tell you that any board that's guilty of doing the things that I've read about the DFI boards doing will never find a home in my box. That lack of quality/stability doesn't fly with me.

I don't really want to have to tweak a motherboard just to make it stable. It should be stable, then let me tweak it until performance is perfect.

Sir-Fragalot said:
No. That's like buying a car that's advertised to get 43MPG and in reality it gets 8MPG and you've got to tweak the damn car to get it to run properly. That's bullshit.

Nope Its more like like buying a car thats supposed to do 43 MPG with the right sparkplugs and the corect ignition timings and the right fuel. Then filling it up with all the wrong stuff and the complaining that its doing 8MPG...

This doesn't mean I do not respect your point of view. I was also a sys.adm. earlier and I do agree with your statment on stability for all such purposes. But thats just it. I don't buy a Ferrari bc its a good/safe everyday car for that I have a Volvo. I buy the Ferrari bc Im basically insane from the beginning and about to behave even more insane :D...

Sir-Fragalot said:

Any motherboard worth a shit is stable out of the box and compatible with most name brand memory modules and PSU's. Sadly the DFI board doesn't do any of that. You also shouldn't have to update the BIOS out of the box to make it stable. That's more bullshit.

As far as I am concerned the DFI NF4 Ultra-D and SLi boards are the most overrated motherboards on the market today. They've got this strange cult fallowing, but the bottom line is, any board that doesn't work flawlessly out of the box, or damn close to it, might as well be an ECS.

Performance is useless without stability. I've got years of building experience and I've worked professionally as a bench tech and in IT for 9 years. I am no noob. But I can tell you that any board that's guilty of doing the things that I've read about the DFI boards doing will never find a home in my box. That lack of quality/stability doesn't fly with me.

I don't really want to have to tweak a motherboard just to make it stable. It should be stable, then let me tweak it until performance is perfect.

Well, I have had two different DFI boards in the past month, both of which I was very dissapointed in. We all know the DFI NF3 Ultra-D has serious problems. I was just wondering why they released it the way they did? I mean, come on. Then just this past week I purchased a DFI NF4 Ultra-D to go along with my new 7800GTX. Well, I hooked it all up and pressed the power button. It booted up as expected. Then I did a few minor bios changes (IDE configuration, SATA stuff) and the board would not boot. I cleared the bios and gave it another go. No boot. This is with proven components, and a minimal configuration. My PS btw is now a Seasonic S12 600W that works great with my EPOX board.

Anyway, I will not buy into the hype again. At least not with motherboards. I purchased a Chaintech VNF4 that I will be installing tonight. Looks like a good board, which might be underrated and under-hyped. Anyway, the DFI is going back just like its brethren.

the DFI is ferrarri ? LOL have you managed to pick up any chicks with it yet ? :eek:

the DFI is a pretty good MB --but it is more of a hopped-up'ed pinto with a big carb and a rusted out exaust pipe !! wastes alot of energy and boils-over alot ! pings on bad-gas--LOL

only knocks on certain days of the week- when it is running !- :eek: i suppose my asus is a chevy pu-truck ?-- my ECS must be a fiat ? LOL :eek:

my old duron must be a model T !--

my opetron system is a dump-truck !

click-and clack should get in on the act--lol

Nothing more boring or uncool than a PC that doesnt work, no matter how many memory tweaks or UV slots it has.

That goes for any unreliable Ferraris too.

Fix It Again Tony! ;)

Sir-Fragalot said:
you seem to forget that a motherboard isnt the computer. Its just a component and if installed incorrectly it will fuck up. So your analogy is flawed, it would be better to say..."its like building a car that could get 43mpg if built and configured correctly but if not it only gets 8mpg" ;)

I can just never understand why some folks get so defensive over something that in 18 months time they'll be either off-loading onto their folks or ditching on Ebay for $20. :rolleyes:

yea i find it a bit ironic that DFI ''s NF4 mb while their claiming to have superior power regulation--seem to have the most problems with PSU's and power regulation in general.

also --if their so superior--why did DFI on their new MB's they have totally revised their power system ?

even a $55 dollar ECS nf4 can work well with a 450wpsu ? somehting is just wrong with that picture !

the ultra D is a decent MB--when it it free of the power regulation problem-- but if you have one and its mosfets are getting to hot--you just as well get ready to RMA --all the 600w psu, expensive ram and memory tweeks in the world ain't going to make it run a bit better.

my thinking if the power regulation wasn't a problem with some MB's --why would DFI be changeing it on their newer sli's?? ?--LOL--you figure that one out--

If a PSU and ram work fine with an Asus, a MSI and an Epox but doesnt work with a DFI, is that the fault of the ram/PSU or the motherboard?

daglesj said:
If a PSU and ram work fine with an Asus, a MSI and an Epox but doesnt work with a DFI, is that the fault of the ram/PSU or the motherboard?
no its the persons fault who didnt do research before hand

cell_491 said:
no its the persons fault who didnt do research before hand

I would have to say thats about the worst excuse I've seen so far.

daglesj said:
I would have to say thats about the worst excuse I've seen so far.
its not an excuse...the board wasnt designed to be a value board plain and simple. It was designed to be an enthusiasts overclocking board. Now if some noob starts a thread "i want the best ocing mobo around" im not going to lie to him...but its his fault if he doesnt then go do the research and find out what ram/psu or what ever else he should buy for absolute compatibility.

Frallan said:
Unfortunatly not. They use tweaking software... They often don't know what BIOS is...

GAH.. What is the world coming to. Tweaking software for newbs is just one more phone call about a broken computer waiting to happen. I think there's a reason why making tweaks like that shouldn't be that easy... Especially since the only real requirement you would need to know to do it otherwise would be knowledge of what the BIOS is, and how to get it.

Back