Please Recommend me a good CD/mp3 player + headphones

Carnival Forces

Supreme [H]ardness
Mods :: I decided to post it in General Hardware since it isn't really Computer Audio, it's portable, and I didn't see a forum for that (if there is one, my sincerest apologies).

Now then, here's what I'm looking for:
A CD player that can play mp3's as well as regular (*.wav or w/e) CDs

OR

An mp3 player (like those iPod thingies)

I'd prefer a CD player b/c I like a bunch of music, and organizing it onto albums is easier for me, then having to only carry around a few gigs of it.

Headphone wise -- I want something comfortable, with good sound quality. I'm not an audiophile, but I don't want something that sounds like it's coming out of my 7 year old Dell :p. Additioanlly, I wear glasses, so if that needs to be taken into consideration, now it can :D.

Price-Range wise:
3 Catagories:
< $50
$50 through $70
> $70

i'll probably just dream about the >$70 price-range, and wish about the $50-$70, ideally, my actual RL price range is < $50 :(.

thanks in advance!

EDIT: I need your recommendations pretty quickly, i.e., before Friday. Thanks!

I don't know how viable this is, but here goes. My iPod had a problem, so I sent it to be repaired. However, they couldn't fix it, so they sent it back. But, I had sent it to be repaired so I could have it back in time for my trip, but they couldn't do it. So, what I did is I burned the mp3s onto CD in CD-readable format, and played them in my $12 CD player I got from Walmart the morning of the trip. Since you can fit 80-minutes onto a CD-R, and you said you can organize them into albums, they may be a more cost-effective option.

Since you wear glasses, you may be better off with earbuds instead of headphones, as well.

I haven't looked at MP3 CD-players in ages, but I remember the ones in your price range were slow to decode, and had poor interfaces. The MP3 players in your price range have tiny capacities, probably not enough for more than a few hours.

Hope this helps.

it's a start ;)

thanks for responding though, so you think i'd be better off just converting my mp3's into *.wav's, and then burning them to CDs and then listening to them on a CD player?

does anyone have any recommendations as far as CD-players go?

I bought an Iriver slimx imp-550 a little while ago i really like it alot . its a mp3 cd player and its firmware upgradeable. audio quality is good and i really havent had any problems with it.i bought it for 150, iriver has lower priced mp3 cd players u can prolly find the slimx imp-350 for around 80 bucks its firmware upgradable and ive heard nothing bad about it

I would get an MD player, they can hold 3-5 albums on each MD, and the whole thing fits in your pocket nicely. Sony is really the only company that makes MD players, any NetMD will fit your needs.

As far as headphones, I recommend Grado SR-60s or Sennheiser HD497s, they are about $40USD and fit on your head comfortably while delivering the best sound you can get for <$100.

thx for the replies; so do the headphones that come with the CD-players you mentioned perform well?

the earbuds that come with the slimx are sienhiesser but there crap i would recommend getting somthin better, i myself have sony mdr-v300 headfones they are good(i got em on sale for 20 bucks), my friend told me i shoulda got the mdr-v700 he said they were "better" but they were a little over my price range. ive heard people recommend siennhiesser headphones

Carnival Forces said:
cost-wise ?

I just checked out the reading material, and they look way out of your price range.. Like, 2 or 3 times your maximum price.

lorcani said:
I don't know how viable this is, but here goes. My iPod had a problem, so I sent it to be repaired. However, they couldn't fix it, so they sent it back. But, I had sent it to be repaired so I could have it back in time for my trip, but they couldn't do it. So, what I did is I burned the mp3s onto CD in CD-readable format, and played them in my $12 CD player I got from Walmart the morning of the trip. Since you can fit 80-minutes onto a CD-R, and you said you can organize them into albums, they may be a more cost-effective option.

Since you wear glasses, you may be better off with earbuds instead of headphones, as well.

I haven't looked at MP3 CD-players in ages, but I remember the ones in your price range were slow to decode, and had poor interfaces. The MP3 players in your price range have tiny capacities, probably not enough for more than a few hours.

Hope this helps.

I 2nd the 12 dollar idea, only because your budget is so limited.

Next highest I could do is like 89 bucks online for a CD+MP3 player.

all right, howabout just plain-old CD-players? I'd be willing to convert from mp3 to *.wav (i think that's what CD-players read)

Carnival Forces said:
all right, howabout just plain-old CD-players? I'd be willing to convert from mp3 to *.wav (i think that's what CD-players read)

You'd be able to get a $20 CD player at Walmart or Bestbuy that would do everything you'd need it to do. Converting them to a CD-readable format is easy. Hell, you could do it in Windows Media Player like I did. You can fit 80 minutes on a CD of CD-readable audio, which is quite a bit. :)

lorcani said:
You'd be able to get a $20 CD player at Walmart or Bestbuy that would do everything you'd need it to do. Converting them to a CD-readable format is easy. Hell, you could do it in Windows Media Player like I did. :)

lol k, so there isn't much of a difference in quality between sub-$50.00 CD players?

Carnival Forces said:
lol k, so there isn't much of a difference in quality between sub-$50.00 CD players?

(I'd ask for a second opinion before you buy anything)

In my experience, other than skip-protection, accessories, and battery-life, there's nothing really different. You mostly pay for the brand-name. My $12 CD player was good enough for the time I listened to it (most of a 10 hour car journey both ways), and I don't have any complaints about it. Then again, I was listening to it through comfy headphones (HD497s) that were worth 5 times what the CD player was. :rolleyes:

With the money left over, I'd get some nice earbuds.

The best earbuds I've ever had for under 50$ are the ones I got with my iPod. I'm voting for getting an iPod (although I notice this thread is going in the opposite direction :p ). Anyways, the buds that come with the iPod are pretty damn good, and you can buy them seperately. I think they are about $35 on Apple's site, but I'm sure you can get them cheaper from like BB or CC.

Pixeleet said:
The best earbuds I've ever had for under 50$ are the ones I got with my iPod. I'm voting for getting an iPod (although I notice this thread is going in the opposite direction :p ). Anyways, the buds that come with the iPod are pretty damn good, and you can buy them seperately. I think they are about $35 on Apple's site, but I'm sure you can get them cheaper from like BB or CC.

Agreed. You can get them from a third party retailer for $20 with free shipping. Don't know which one, though.

Pixeleet said:

i'm so new, help me! :confused:

what's BB and CC?

I just can't reccommend anything below the sony walkman MP3CD player. it comes with a good headphone set.

I REALLY want to get the D link notebook drive based MP3 player...someday
they sold one at one time, but I dont see it on their site :( :(

Back