Please recommend best 4K monitor (39" to 50") on Amazon < $600...

D Unit209

n00b
I want to use up my Amazon gift cards and have about a $600 maximum budget. Which 4K monitor do you guys suggest? It would be nice if the monitor had displayport, but I'm willing to bend if I can get it to work somehow. I already have a 30" Dell, so I'm really set on getting something bigger (39" to 50").

PLEASE HELP!

For that size/price you are either looking at one of the Korean models or a 4K TV. Generally the best bang/buck screen in 2016 was the 40" samsung UN40KU6300 or UN40KU6290. For a while you could get them for ~$290 through costco/etc. I had one for 2 months before it died. Colors were great, contrast was great, motion was mediocre with black mouse trail smears. Every time there was an (automatic) firmware update the screen would start corrupting. Other people noticed the same thing. One morning the whole screen started corrupting on every HDMI input (though the menus and broadcast TV was fine) at which point I had to return it. At ~$300 it's a good deal but the cheapest they have it on amazon right now is around $414 new or $370 refurbished and frankly it's not worth it at that price imho. I expect we are going to hear a lot of stories in the coming year or two about more of those TVs failing.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40...rd_wg=QxoRL&psc=1&refRID=Q2ZPZNAKN91S998WS0KZ
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40KU6290-40-Inch-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01N5RAL5M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1488914546&sr=8-4&keywords=samsung+40"+4k

The higher end samsung UN40KU7000 @ 40" is $597 on amazon right now, but it doesn't appear to have many advantages over the cheaper models. Perhaps it is built better, though I doubt it.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40KU7000-40-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01EBG6CTG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1488915068&sr=1-1&keywords=40"+4k+samsung

If you can spring $648, the sony 43" XPR43X800D is available through amazon. I have not personally seen this TV, but from everything I've read/seen it's superior to the lower end samsung models.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR43X800D-43-Inch-Ultra-Model/dp/B01FWIEO2E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1488913816&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+43"+4k

This TV got pretty good reviews on rtings for use as a PC monitor:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800d

The 43" model uses a VA panel instead of an IPS panel on the 49" with the associated tradeoffs. I'd keep the X800D on your short list if you are intent on buying now.

If you are willing to go the korean monitor route, you've got a couple of options in or close to your price range. Amazon is a bit limited though compared to other sites:

https://www.amazon.com/UHD400-3840X2160-Samsung-40-Inch-Display/dp/B01CSC2P0K/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1488914068&sr=8-12&keywords=40"+4k

https://www.amazon.com/YAMAKASI-O40USUT-Inch-Monitor-10Bit/dp/B017VWX3U8/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1488914255&sr=8-15&keywords=40"+3840x2160

Note that these don't appear to be pixel perfect versions (and the wasabi mango one is already slightly above your price range).

If you are willing to go smaller than 40" your options improve a little:

The QNIX3216R is a fairly affordable 32" option at ~$420 and it supports display port and freesync, but it sounds like the electronics are cheap (same story with the samsung above and more generally with many of the cheap korean imports):
https://www.amazon.com/QNIX3216R-3840X2160-FreeSync-Technology-Monitor/dp/B01M316EML/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1488914671&sr=1-2&keywords=32"+4k

The AOC U3277PWQU 32" monitor can be had for ~$500, but has mediocre reviews and apparently a crappy AG coating:
https://www.amazon.com/AOC-U3277PWQU-32-Inch-3840x2160-HDMI-MHL/dp/B01N8ZIWM3/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1488914671&sr=1-10&keywords=32"+4k

And that's about it unless you are willing to drop down to 27" or hunt for a refurb. Honestly you might be better off waiting until the 2017 TVs come out. We're in kind of a rough patch where most of the 2016 monitor/TV deals are done and the 2017 models aren't out yet. That's what I'm doing right now even though I'm back on my old dell 24" for the time being.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am using 40inch samsung ku6300 and upgraded it's firmware to 1165 today and i must say it's a very good tv to use as a monitor.Just rmeber that 4k chroma for pc is only available on hdmi 1 with uhdcolor mode turned on.

Hold on .... WHY ... WHY would anyone recommend a monitor that has bad reviews? Just because it fits his budget? .... speaking to the AOC model someone linked.

Don't do that.

Look at the Samsung 40" ....excellent build quality ... warranty that actually means something ... excellent gaming performance ...... very in-depth and vast community support ( Many many people are using these for desktop displays ) 10x more so than anything else so there are an overwhelming amount of video guides and forum guides covering all aspects of this display. This is an incredible resource that you really do want.

Great support ( firmware updates ) from Samsung. Most of all, great picture quality.

Stay the hell away from sub-par brands. Very high risk of future issues that you just don't want. Questionable build quality and warranty support. Again, why would you subject yourself to this when you clearly have the money for much better products.

As far as the Sony's people keep suggesting .... these have nearly 2x worse latency than the Samsung. They are in the 35ms range vs the 18ms range of the Samsung. If you do any type of gaming .... use caution here. Otherwise, the Sony fits the bill in all the other depts that you want.

You don't have to re-invent the wheel here. Just do what everyone else is doing and get the Samsung 40" 4k ... 6300 or 6290. There might even be a higher end 40" or 43" that would fit within your budget. Again, there are many guilds for this display that will very quickly bring you up to speed on getting it setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Savoy
like this
Hold on .... WHY ... WHY would anyone recommend a monitor that has bad reviews? Just because it fits his budget? .... speaking to the AOC model someone linked.

Don't do that.

I hope I made it clear that it's a mixed bag. I figured it was better to address it (at least briefly) here than leave it un-discussed.

Look at the Samsung 40" ....excellent build quality ... warranty that actually means something ... excellent gaming performance ...... very in-depth and vast community support ( Many many people are using these for desktop displays ) 10x more so than anything else so there are an overwhelming amount of video guides and forum guides covering all aspects of this display. This is an incredible resource that you really do want.

Great support ( firmware updates ) from Samsung. Most of all, great picture quality.

I owned one of these displays. I absolutely would not say the build quality is excellent. It's probably better than the Korean imports, but it's certainly not as good as a Dell or other higher end display. The fact that multiple people (including me) see display corruption during firmware downloads is just one indication of this.

Stay the hell away from sub-par brands. Very high risk of future issues that you just don't want. Questionable build quality and warranty support. Again, why would you subject yourself to this when you clearly have the money for much better products.

I honestly agree. In the $600 range I'd be looking for a sale on a 32" benq or dropping down to a 27" LG if I had to buy now. The OP specified 39"+ for under $600 dollars though.

As far as the Sony's people keep suggesting .... these have nearly 2x worse latency than the Samsung. They are in the 35ms range vs the 18ms range of the Samsung. If you do any type of gaming .... use caution here. Otherwise, the Sony fits the bill in all the other depts that you want.

FWIW that's only in game mode. Drop into PC mode where you get 4:4:4 chroma and you're right back up into the 30ms range. More importantly the GTG response on the samsung seems to be pretty bad. I noticed it and I'm not even a serious gamer. Also, motion processing in general appears to be better on the Sony (see the rtings review). Again I'll note that I have not seen the Sony in person, but I think it should be seriously considered along with the Samsung given the pluses and minuses of both.

You don't have to re-invent the wheel here. Just do what everyone else is doing and get the Samsung 40" 4k ... 6300 or 6290. There might even be a higher end 40" or 43" that would fit within your budget. Again, there are many guilds for this display that will very quickly bring you up to speed on getting it setup.

Again, I went that route. I owned the 6290 and used it as my primary display for a little over two months. It's not a bad display, but it definitely has trade-offs and I question the long term reliability. I had the option to buy another one at reasonable price through the recent newegg deal and ended up passing on it. My next display will likely be a 4K 27" or 32" LG or similar monitor once I can find one on sale.

I have heard of that corruption when downloading firmware updates luckily mine isn't affected since it didin't happen to me while updating it yesterday.

I have heard of that corruption when downloading firmware updates luckily mine isn't affected since it didin't happen to me while updating it yesterday.

I'm curious if it has to do with yours being the 6300. Perhaps there are internal differences beyond the bluetooth that are not immediately apparent. It might explain why the 6290s were sold off so cheaply during the black friday fire sales.

Aha, from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Whats-differ...9MON9YBDB6NJ/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B01DUTOI5U

Pramod: I have checked the information for you and I see that 6290 comes with quad core processor where as 6300 doesn't come with the processor this is the only difference between the TVs.
Pramod: I am glad that I was able to help you, thank you.
Pramod: Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Visitor: If I check it shows that the processor is the same between both models?
Visitor: Can you tell me the processor # for the 6290 vs processor number for the 6300 please?
Pramod: And one more difference is 6290 doesn't have the bluetooth feature it comes with standard remote control where as 6300 comes with the bluetooth and smart touch control.
Pramod: 6290 has the older quadcore version where as 6300 has the update quadcore version.

So at the very least the processor is different. I think that raises the possibility that the 6290 employs lower quality electronics in general to drive the overall cost down.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm actually trying the AOC 32 4K one right now (trying to decide between this and the Dell U3417W). The AOC has great blacks and overall uniformity isn't bad at all, there is some oversaturation in primary colors but it confirms to the DCI-P3 standard which is also the HDR standard so that may not be a bad thing. Too bad the sRGB mode is locked at 90% brightness and unuseable. The Dell is also a great screen and is the most uniform screen I have seen except for some small BLB on the bottom left. Decisions, decisions.

I have the KU 6300 since november and it's been great so far. Yes, when there is a firmware update available it will show screen corruption which is weird but no big deal. I simply update the firmware and its gone. In game mode the input lag is pretty good and I find it acceptable. The image quality is awesome when gaming in 4k on PC. Not to mention movies and 4k content look amazing as well. No not high end 4k tv amazing but dam good for a 350 dollar panel, which is what I paid from amazon right before thanksgiving.

As far as build quality goes its again acceptable. No not amazing but not bad either. Remember the price range where in here. This TV is meant for cheap 4k consumption and pc/gaming and it does all the above very well. When you consider what you get for the price point it's actually pretty amazing honestly. I'm not worried about the TV going bad since it has a warranty from samsung and it was cheap enough to hold me off until we get somewhat affordable 4k in the 40' range with 120hz or better. No the 27" 4k coming out supposedly later this year doe not interest me. 27" at 4k res is completely retarded in my opinion. I need to be immersed by the screen and this 40" has me hooked on that.

Back