Please recommend a program to take system snapshots

Alvein

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I need a simple, but effective program to save multiple system states/snapshots, for Windows 2000 (that only has one slot). Anybody helps?

Thanks. :)

lozaning said:
the print screen key and ms paint is what i have alwys used.
The OP is not talking about screen captures. If you want a total system snapshot, I have to recommend Ghost. Your entire system is backed up, and it would reside off of your local disk if burned to a DVD or CDs.

LOL @ lozaning .... I hope that don't be joke. :p

djnes said:
The OP is not talking about screen captures. If you want a total system snapshot, I have to recommend Ghost. Your entire system is backed up, and it would reside off of your local disk if burned to a DVD or CDs.
Thanks. Isn't a Ghost an image of the complete hard disk? that would eat a lot of space and also would take some time to restore. I was thinkin of something similar to how XP does, storing the "states" in the same disk.

I'm currently using a program named "ConfigSafe EZ" that seems to do the job, but I have the feeling that it's not saving everything, because after a few "rollback" operations there are things that have not been undone. :confused:

Three words, DON'T DO IT.

My experiance I have yet to see any "snapshot" software work 100% of the time without causing other issues. GoBack alters the boot record of the drive so that it can only be read by GoBack. If the OS crashes, you're in for hell trying to read and recover the data.

Now I know what you're thinking, just connect it up to a working PC and read the data right? Yeah, TRY IT. The drive shows up as an invalid partition and is unreadable until you remove GoBack.

I've avoided snapshot apps because of this reason, nearly all of them take command of the boot record and/or startup files making then your new failure point of your system. The snapshot software corrupts, you've lost your data.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing. I want a program that takes a snapshot when I want, nothing automatic/service/driver based or so.

Ghost does do the entire drive, but it compresses the image file. I have 6 GB of data on my system partition right now, which compresses to a little over 3 GB stored as an image on my server. Laying the image down takes about 5 minutes.

Back