Please recommend a new video card for me

Do you have 2 monitors? I read online about it not switching to low power mode if 2 monitors are plugged in.

I definitely noticed it go down to 40ish when I unplugged a monitor.

I have 2 screens connected right now and its on Power state P8, which is 405 core, 324 mem, 810 shader on my card (GTX 570 Phantom).

With single screen, its on Power state P12, which is 50 core, 135 mem, 101 shader.

The stuck in 3d clocks bug I am speaking off, is about power state P0 (full 3d clocks), which is 750 core, 1950 mem, 1500 shader. :)

(You can check this and power states with Nvidia Inspector's overclock tool).

Cool. I might check that out. I can use it to just read info?

Yes. :) It won't make any changes unless you apply them.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-Inspector-1.94-download-2612.html

Here you can see that screen with the power states (I normally use Nvidia inspector for AA settings though):

inspector.png
[/URL]

Last edited:
I wouldn't go with the 4xx nvidia series at this point in time. Honestly, I would go with an HD6870, as they can be found for 120 after rebate and are very powerful for the price.

My configuration is different but I do have two ATI video cards in Crossfire mode. I use this website to calculate the total power used by your devices. I have a 550 watt PSU. AMD Phenom 965 with liquid cooling, and two ATI HD4850, one SATA 7200rpm drive, one wireless card and one DVD burner. It came out to be about 450 watts.

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

It's always good to have a extra PSU handy though.

Those sites are often over-zealous really, depends how high your CPU is clocked. 450W DC is a lot for two 4850s, even with two 4870s most people typically only use 400W max, unless they run burn tests.

I have a seasonic 80+ Gold PSU rated @ 550 watts.

I run 560Ti 2gb MSI card and EVGA 260GTX card dedicated to physix in Nvidia Control Panel. With unlocked and OC'd AMD X4 CPU. 4 Hard Drives 4 Case fans, Dual CPU Cooler fans, Blu Ray player/burner, 2 memory sticks, almost all my USB 2.0/3.0 ports have things running in them...I think all but 1 port. Peak power consumption from my killowatt is in the 390's to 400 watts on Metro 2033 with everything maxed out @ 1280x720p 4XMSAA. The MSI cooler ='s 33 idle temps and 58-62 peak/full load temps I believe.

My power supply is good until I get an SLI board and drop in another 560Ti. Or toss out the 260GTX and use the 560Ti for physix when newer 6 series GPU's drop from Nvidia IMHO.

Back