Please recommend a mac.

PacknHeat

Limp Gawd
Hi - I no nothing about macs. My sisters very old mac died and she would like to buy a new one.
Could a few people please recommend a model and maybe store (HP, Gateway, ...).
She doesn't have to have the top of the line, but an all around good family PC that will be adequate for several years.

Thanks for your time and help. :)

Originally posted by PacknHeat
Hi - I no nothing about macs. My sisters very old mac died and she would like to buy a new one.
Could a few people please recommend a model and maybe store (HP, Gateway, ...).
She doesn't have to have the top of the line, but an all around good family PC that will be adequate for several years.

Thanks for your time and help. :)
HP or Gateway do not sell Mac's - Apple does though.

Your best bet is to try for an iMac or an eMac.

It really depends on her needs for the computer to help make an educated determination of good Mac for her.

Well without knowing anything about your sister I would suggest an iBook since it has a lot going for it and cost about $1099. Better then the eMac, cheaper then the iMac- it's a great middle road choice IMO. You could always go the used Mac route and get a G4 Powermac or something.

I always thought iBooks were a little slow....you can get an eMac with Superdrive and the works for around $1000

*12"powerbook. Atleast 512mb RAM, with a superdrive.*

Honestly, a 12" Powerbook is a giant waste of money since they released the G4 iBooks.

Both come with neutered G4 chips except with the iBook, you get a 14.1" screen for less money.

Sure, you can't get the Superdrive with it but I know very few people who burn DVDs so it's really not an issue IMO.

Save a few bucks and go with one of the G4 iBooks if you're even considering the 12" Powerbook.

Originally posted by Rocketpig
*12"powerbook. Atleast 512mb RAM, with a superdrive.*

Honestly, a 12" Powerbook is a giant waste of money since they released the G4 iBooks.

Both come with neutered G4 chips except with the iBook, you get a 14.1" screen for less money.

Sure, you can't get the Superdrive with it but I know very few people who burn DVDs so it's really not an issue IMO.

Save a few bucks and go with one of the G4 iBooks if you're even considering the 12" Powerbook.

Personally COMBO drives just dont cut it for me anymore. If I am burning anything to a CD music or data I always NEED MORE SPACE. Just like you said, iBook's dont have the superdrive. Which makes the 12" PB a no brainer. You know what would happen, she would by the iBook and 6 months down the line, be kicking herself wishing they got the superdrive.

...and an external DVD+/-RW is a pain in the ass if it could be gotten internally up front.

Well, I think the powerbook would be a waste of money for them. The powerbooks aren't as durable as the iBooks anyway.

But if she must have Mac, wants something semi-affordable and that will last her for a little while she'd do much better with an iMac than she would with a laptop.

Damn all that.

If I was in the market for an affordable mac desktop right now, I'd be looking for an MDD or quicksilver G4. I/eMacs have been nothing but a PITA since I have to work with/on them every day.

"rocketpig...how the hell do you get 890 MB of RAM in a system?"

LOL I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice that.

I was too lazy to do the exact math (but yes, the other poster was right... it is 896 megs).

Originally posted by NewBlackDak
Damn all that.

If I was in the market for an affordable mac desktop right now, I'd be looking for an MDD or quicksilver G4. I/eMacs have been nothing but a PITA since I have to work with/on them every day.

Actually, thats a good point. Does she have to go new? An older/used G4 tower would do fine.

but of course we haven't gotten any news about what she needs much less haven't gotten a response from packnheat about anything, I guess all this chatter has really been pretty moot

Back