Please recommend a board for C2D E8500

ymee

Weaksauce
Hi folks,

I am currently running a E8500 on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe board. Looking to upgrade to a different board with a newer chipset. Looking at all the different offerings on Newegg I am confused by all the diff chipsets etc. What is a recommended C2D board for running a E8500 proc with an Nvidia video card? I would like to play around with overclocking as well. Prefer to spend no more than $200 on the board.

Thanks

The ASUS P5Q Pro and Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R and GA-EP45-UD3P are currently the preferred value LGA775 boards out there. All are excellent overclockers and have very good feature sets, and should suit your system nicely. The only thing is that you will not be able to use SLI with an Intel chipset.

I agree with Zero 100% - can't go wrong either way.

I concur with Zero82z as well: Can't go wrong with any of those three mobos.

thanks guys.

By the way. Will I see a noticeable gain in speed moving from the 8500 on the pf2 dh running 2gigs of PC6400 ram to one of the above boards with the faster ram they support?

By the way. Will I see a noticeable gain in speed moving from the 8500 on the pf2 dh running 2gigs of PC6400 ram to one of the above boards with the faster ram they support?

Unlikely. Any improvement in speed will probably be fairly small. You'll see the most benefit from the significantly greater overclocking potential the new board will give you.

good to know. Guess I'll wait and upgrade in a few months to the i7 platform. I've never been lucky with overclocking.

You don't have to be lucky when it comes to the newer 45nm Core 2 Duos. A high overclock is pretty much guaranteed :).

I can't get anywhere on my p5w, maybe its the first rev of the board or something but changing the fsb by even 5mhz and rebooting results in no-POST and I have to clear the cmos. And I've done everything per the c2d guides, set pci-e to 100, pci to 33, voltages to the right values, etc etc.

I can't get anywhere on my p5w, maybe its the first rev of the board or something but changing the fsb by even 5mhz and rebooting results in no-POST and I have to clear the cmos. And I've done everything per the c2d guides, set pci-e to 100, pci to 33, voltages to the right values, etc etc.

Maybe because it's 45nm? I clocked my E6600 up to 3.3Ghz or so with my P5W without any problems at all.

I've read in forums of people OC'ing the 8500 on the p5w as well, just doesnt work for me. If I use the boards % overclocking feature I can get to +5% OC but that's it.

It is really easy on the UD3 boards. You just have to make sure your RAM is set correctly.

Back