Please post youre opinions about amd/ATI.

AtkinS

Gawd
Well, im ati fan, so well, their recent chipsets and videocards 2900XT 3870 3850 i got them all, 790 X 790 FX and so on, but do i got a phenom to back this up.
NO, it just cant beat a athlon core at 3 ghz. so why should i buy a new one at twice the price and get the low performance.

Amd should really release a k10 athlon cpu, that would be <3. if it was same performance as the phenom PER core with additional cache 4mb l3 2mb l2 and it having a frequency of 3 ghz, thermal envelope of 89 watt or just 65 as every1 wants. well thats only a damn dream.

i can see that amd is trying to hit the market with lowerpower cpu's, ive built one comp with 45 watts cpu, worked very well actually.

well, since amd/ati deliver so damn good videocards, why not try to relase both ?, intel is delivering 14 or 16 dont remember, new cpu's. lots of quad and some dualcores.

Amd why not you guys ? the 5600+ gives much for the money, it cost way much less than any core 2 duo, so i like using that in builds for some friends, it got killer mem bandwidth compared to an intel with more expensive memory, so perfect for my friends who doesnt have much money, but amd should make something great, so they can hit both the mainstream, and the highend, and doesnt need an qx9770 at all to be honest.

what's youre guys thinkin amd should do, and doing wrong etc. and right, i can just say, chipset and videocards are nice.

I'm going to completely ignore your AMD statements, which are your opinions, but I will comment on ATi, they are going in a right direction, HD3870 is a decent competitor card, along with their multi-gpu platform Crossfire, scaling better than SLI, not to mention they got a new card coming out soon, HD3870x2 I believe is the name.

Buy Intel if you arent happy with AMDs products.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...Low_End_Power_Efficient_AMD_Phenom_Chips.html

http://www.overclockers.com/tips01278/

Aside from what Ed has to say,and he is of course right on the money.I do beleive that excepting AMD's comments on this are inane,and kind to beleiving the reason AMD
has so much crippling debt,is because the shareholders wish it to be so. :p :rolleyes:

IE: BS

They have near zero crediblity right now.Stock price is finally above 6 dollars again,thanks to the latest lawsuit info,care of the NY AG.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...Low_End_Power_Efficient_AMD_Phenom_Chips.html

http://www.overclockers.com/tips01278/

Aside from what Ed has to say,and he is of course right on the money.I do beleive that excepting AMD's comments on this are inane,and kind to beleiving the reason AMD
has so much crippling debt,is because the shareholders wish it to be so. :p :rolleyes:

IE: BS

They have near zero crediblity right now.Stock price is finally above 6 dollars again,thanks to the latest lawsuit info,care of the NY AG.

Well if you read another article from the same author:
It remains to be seen whether the delay of mainstream AMD Phenom 9700 and 9900 microprocessors also automatically means postpones for higher-speed models, including AMD Phenom FX models. Previously the new enthusiast-class FX chips from AMD were projected to become available &#8220;in the first half of the year&#8221;, which usually means late second quarter. However, with postponement of the mainstream-class chips it seems doubtful that AMD manages to increase clock-speeds of the new version of its AMD Phenom processors shortly after the launch of the models 9700 and 9900.
I think that it is hard to believe anything he said, I mean, when was the last time AMD released a FX CPU? I think that FX series would never come out anymore and it has been replaced by Black Edition series.

Well, let's see... I have a 3 GHz Core2, which is faster than any CPU that AMD makes.
And I have an overclocked 8800GTS, which is faster than any GPU that AMD makes.

My opinion is that AMD doesn't have any products that I could upgrade to.

The most painful aspect in all this, is that my system is about 15 months old by now (with the videocard a few months younger than that).
What has AMD been doing in those 15 months? How much time does AMD need to get their act back together?
My opinion is that AMD's management has completely lost touch with reality because of their initial successes with their K7/K8 CPUs.
I've been saying it ever since the first Core2 previews started coming in... AMD is not going to beat that architecture with the K8-improvements they were going to apply in K10.
I think AMD's management should have pulled the plug on the ambitious K10 project there and then, and reinvent it as a pricefighting part.

I can't say much about ATi... I think ATi knew that the 2x00-series was going to be poor. I think that was actually the main reason why ATi was up for sale in the first place. An independent ATi might not have survived, so better sell out while you still have the chance. I think it's another sign of bad management that AMD chose to buy ATi. Firstly, did they not see the failure of the 2x00-series coming, and how this was going to mean yet more losses and investments? Secondly, again, did they not see that Core2 was going to completely destroy their profit margins, so they couldn't pay off the loan they'd need for ATi, and nearly drive the entire company into bankrupcy?

I don't see a 'road to recovery' on the roadmaps either. R700 might be a good architecture again, putting Radeon back into the high-end market... But it won't be enough to carry the entire company. And the CPU-section is just one big mess at this point. This whole bug-issue is costing them billions of dollars again, and Intel is just waiting to strike with their 45 nm Penryns, to crush AMD's profit margins even further. And later this year there will be Nehalem, to redefine the price/performance ratio yet again.

There is a small chance that AMD gets its CPU section back under control, and manages to build processors that it can build in large volumes, at low costs, and that will sell well at good profit margins. But native quadcores are exactly the opposite of that.
So I think AMD will either blow itself out completely, or it will go back to being a low budget clone for the large OEM market. At any rate, I don't think we'll see AMD back in the high-end, or even mid-end of the CPU market in the next 3 to 5 years or so.
They will first need to make themselves profitable again, then they need to invest in a completely new architecture, and then they need to have a good 32 nm production process going. There is no other way AMD has a chance to catch up with Intel. Why not? Simple... Intel is already at a point where AMD might get with K10 in well over a year, if they're lucky... Being 3+ GHz processors at 45 nm (both architectures have more or less the same IPC, power consumption and die-size... AMD has to be in the same ballpark with clockspeed and production process to compete).
So even if Intel did nothing at all from now on, it would take a long time for AMD to catch up.

Well, let's see... I have a 3 GHz Core2, which is faster than any CPU that AMD makes.
And I have an overclocked 8800GTS, which is faster than any GPU that AMD makes.

I can't say much about ATi... I think ATi knew that the 2x00-series was going to be poor. I think that was actually the main reason why ATi was up for sale in the first place. ...

Are you really that stupid to believe a muti-billions would put it up for sale because it slipped one prodcut while tens millions of popluar console are using its chip? Cant really read the rest of your post, i cant stop laughing

Are you really that stupid to believe a muti-billions would put it up for sale because it slipped one prodcut while tens millions of popluar console are using its chip? Cant really read the rest of your post, i cant stop laughing

Look at what happened to S3, 3dfx, Matrox, Trident, and what other big videocard manufacturers we've once had.
Basically they all dropped out after missing just one generation.
Don't think they're making a lot of money on the console market. The chips are low-budget chips with older technology, and the profit margins are extremely thin. Since Microsoft and Nintendo are virtually giving the hardware away for free, they also want to buy the hardware as cheaply as possible. They have good leverage aswell... They can argue that they will sell millions of units, and your GPUs are nothing special. If you don't like the contract, they'll just go to the competition. So they always get their hardware at the lowest possible price. Software is where the real money is made in the console world.

So no, I'm not that stupid. I know what I'm talking about.

I totally agree with you Scali2 on all you said. AMD's position is not looking to good too many blunders delays and broken promises.

Look at what happened to S3, 3dfx, Matrox, Trident, and what other big videocard manufacturers we've once had.
Basically they all dropped out after missing just one generation.
Don't think they're making a lot of money on the console market. The chips are low-budget chips with older technology, and the profit margins are extremely thin. Since Microsoft and Nintendo are virtually giving the hardware away for free, they also want to buy the hardware as cheaply as possible. They have good leverage aswell... They can argue that they will sell millions of units, and your GPUs are nothing special. If you don't like the contract, they'll just go to the competition. So they always get their hardware at the lowest possible price. Software is where the real money is made in the console world.

So no, I'm not that stupid. I know what I'm talking about.

You are contradicting yourself there. Selling an older technology will always give a better profit margin.

Do you think that you would see a same console using two different chips? Maybe they won't get the contract for the next gen console but the fact remains that the 360 is still a new console and releasing another console in the next 1-2 years is just shooting your own foot.

Even when Sony or M$ said that they are not making money with the hardware itself but it doesn't mean that ATi and nVidia don't make money too. M$ and Sony still need to pay the GPU price according to the agreement before.

If you check quarterly financial reports on AMD's website, you'll see that even a very successful graphics division wouldn't be enough to make up for the losses on CPUs and "All Other" expenses.

Graphics are pretty much breaking even right now.

You are contradicting yourself there. Selling an older technology will always give a better profit margin.

Actually it won't.

Even when Sony or M$ said that they are not making money with the hardware itself but it doesn't mean that ATi and nVidia don't make money too. M$ and Sony still need to pay the GPU price according to the agreement before.

I never claimed otherwise, I just said that the price in the agreement wasn't that profitable to begin with.

Scali2, once again pointing out the facts and being blunt about it. No one wants to see the competition fail, but sugar coating facts about AMD is stupid juice.

I really like the graphics cards and they're always good. But I wish that they would make a dual core processor that is faster than any dual core 2 duo.

To comment some guys:
-Scali2 YOURE MISSING THE POINT WITH ATI, CROSSFIRE = HIGH END. sorry for caps. ati have clearly said crossfire is for more high end, and i beat a 8800 GTX with a 2900 XT ezy.. clock clock clock :)

-Nenu read below for my supporting reason to ati, which have made my builds rma free for the past 7 years.

-RangerSVT true, 3870 X2 is the current name, it will score pretty good, and have the same power consumtion as a 8800 GTX, and lots of mem bandwidth, all is depending on ati's driver team now =)

To be honest, i hate both intel systems, none work correctly sometimes, cooler issues, RMA, cpu temp issues, RMA, and voila working, thats booring, and not to mention the cost of a intel system.
and the performance amd cannot give within the cpu market.

even though i dont care bout that :p

why i did choose a amd system, cause they stepped up their ati drivers in linux, so supporting them atleast one last time..

I can actually see some americans saying something else than, OMFG ati is teh suxorz etc, thanx for actually seing the picture of crossfire it is, ati is definetly going in right direction with single card mainstream (3850/3870) for mainstream gamers. the lower end should hit good aswell.
but well, crossfire isnt just like a dream come true. YET.
ive built now 5 CF systems on 3870 and 3850 and they are pleased, in most of the games, some games doesnt support it.

i have never ever seen a videocard like the 3870 and 3850, so quite, so problem free, and the crossfire works, but all that end when turning on linux in ur boot menu, not that nvidia is problem free with their 8xxx series either, but clearly better.
where crossfire doesnt work, nvidia score big time, and also, nvidia have pretty darn good drivers for single card systems.

nvidia's chipsets atleast the pre 7 series are shit. ati's or amd which the name is now, but i bet they are made by ati, the 7 series are lovely, 10 watts for my 790FX <3, and performance is right where it should be. <3
And intel chipsets oc well though, i see rumours of nvdia 7 series chipset clock well @ intel platform, so might see some good oc's with sli aswell, may be making sli more like, demanding, means better drivers etc, means better multi-gpu support =)

but then, whats a platform with a bottleneck thats so bad that i cannot describe it, not much, cpu's amd, give me some good cpu's, i dont care if they are orginally a damn 2 ghz 65 or 45 watt or even 160 watt, just that i can clock em to over 3.1 ghz!.
but thats just a crazy ass dream in this world :p

Ati need to convince people with the power of CF.
Nvidia should make their naming system abit better, tired of answering questions on msn, people still think 8800 GTS 640 mb is better than 512 mb and the 8800 GT.

To comment some guys:
-Scali2 YOURE MISSING THE POINT WITH ATI, CROSSFIRE = HIGH END. sorry for caps. ati have clearly said crossfire is for more high end, and i beat a 8800 GTX with a 2900 XT ezy.. clock clock clock :)

If CrossFire is high-end, then what is SLI?
It's not a good business model. Firstly neither CrossFire nor SLI are very efficient... You won't get 100% extra performance by adding a second card, nowhere near it even.
Secondly, you need an entire extra card, including memory, cooler etc.
The production cost is a lot higher, compared to the performance you're getting.
It's nice that the prices on ATi cards are low enough to make them competitive, but it's not doing them any favours. nVidia is raking in the big cash, not AMD.

To be honest, i hate both intel systems, none work correctly sometimes, cooler issues, RMA, cpu temp issues, RMA, and voila working, thats booring, and not to mention the cost of a intel system.
and the performance amd cannot give within the cpu market.

Someone care to point out all the wrong in this statement? My head hurts just reading it :(

I build computers for friends, family, colleagues, etc. In the past 3 years I have built 23 machines, maybe not too impressive compared to an OEM but for a one-man show doing it as a hobby (usually for no profit, just because I love to stick it to the OEM like Dell and HP - I used to work for HP) I think I've done alright. It should also be noted that most of the people I build for do not overclock.

My buying choice is the most logical in both near-term and long-term, basically, if I am building a high-end system, I will build using Intel right now.. However, if I am building mid-range to low-range where the price/performance is about equal on both sides, I will go with AMD.

Why? Simply put, because I would HATE to see Intel have no competition in the future. The survival of AMD is really important for the CPU industry and also for all of us. Look at how long Intel sat on the Netburst architecture until they felt the pressure from AMD's K8.. If AMD bites the dust, I fear we could see a major slowdown in innovation in the x86 market, along with some steep prices.

A new architecture takes years to develop and billions of dollars to realise. Innovation is not cheap, neither Intel nor AMD would innovate new products unless they had to. They are both in business to make money, after all.

I do not prefer either company over the other, they are both big businesses who have both played dirty at some point, but I want them both to be around for a long time to come. So lately my philosophy is, for really high-end systems, I look towards Intel, for mid-range I build AMD.

hehe. whats sli is then, i dont think sli is so much more powerfull than CrossfireX, even though you run like 3x 8800 ultra's.

by watching graphs of CF vs sli, like 2 videocards, we can see lowerend videocards from ati fighting against more powerfull nvidia ones.

but, the thing is simply, ati is probaly not going to make a more powerfull R6xx videocard with the first, 3870 is more than powerfull enough in CF, and in CFX, i cant imagine.

northfalcon or something have a trisli 8800 ultra, thats the most powerfull system we can get atm, we'll just wait n see what ati brings with CFX, and hopefully hardocp shows us some nice benchmarks of both trisli, and CFX, cause i dont see any trisli yet, so none can actually say anything about none of them.

Scali2, once again pointing out the facts and being blunt about it. No one wants to see the competition fail, but sugar coating facts about AMD is stupid juice.

Agreed.

I really cant see where the break-even part of the previous conference call is going to come from.AMD is yet again managing to underpromise and still underdeliver. 45nm
has now likely slipped to 2009,with likely even more delays on that end on the horizon.

BTW:Has anyone noticed that Valve just joined the TWIMTBP program in full ? :)
Then Valve sending off free gifts to Nvidia users ? First Slice was kinda cool.

Dev relations in AMD's camp are crumbling faster then slate in the hands of a giant.

I am just itching hear that next analyst conference call ! :) Another train wreck.

Someone care to point out all the wrong in this statement? My head hurts just reading it :(
LOL

It starts with an F and ends with a Y, just like all similar crazy, illogical statements.

hehe. whats sli is then, i dont think sli is so much more powerfull than CrossfireX, even though you run like 3x 8800 ultra's.

I would want to have as few GPUs as possible, and as much performance per GPU as possible, because of the overhead of using multiple processors (see Amdahl's law of diminshing returns).
On paper, three 8800Ultras should be faster than four 3870s, based on the performance of a single card, so ignoring the overhead of CF/SLI.
On paper, 4 GPUs will have more overhead than 3 GPUs.

Therefore, on paper, triple SLI with 8800Ultras should be the fastest solution. The only thing that could turn the tables in favour of AMD is if nVidia's SLI implementation is that much poorer than AMD's CF, that AMD still wins out in practice.
But even if that is initially the case, this could be because nVidia's drivers haven't reached a mature level yet. We've seen that nVidia got off on a bad start with SLI in Vista aswell, but has made a reasonable recovery after some driver updates and hotfixes.

I think it's highly unlikely that AMD can compete with that much slower GPUs. After all, nVidia's SLI has been around for much longer than ATi's CrossFire, and has historically always been the faster and more mature solution.

qft

I have to admit, there are a lot of people that seem to enjoy spreading misinformation. I feel like those kinds of posts should be grounds for some kind of reprimand.

For what its worth......

I just fired up a triple-SLi system this weekend I put together.
8800 GTXs
Crysis was unplayable in DX10 with two cards at very high settings and 1600x1200 with 8800 GTXs in SLI.

With the game patched,Triple-SLi, 1920x1200, all settings on very high, no AA; I can play the game at very smooth frame rates.....always at or above 30 FPS. I've played the first level up to the grounded ship with no problems and the game is much better graphically than it was in XP......
To play at a decent frame rate and graphic in SLI I couldnt even use Vista before.

I've had alot of setups, at least half of them AMD, from the Athlon K7 to an opteron 165cd, and always I spent less then an intel system, so I was happy, and a bit more then half of my vcards have been ATI also, up to the 7800 where ATI has better IQ, so I went with them after matrox, they might not be great at the business side of things, but they've been fighting a company 40x their size from the start =p not too bad IMO

For what its worth......

I just fired up a triple-SLi system this weekend I put together.
8800 GTXs
Crysis was unplayable in DX10 with two cards at very high settings and 1600x1200 with 8800 GTXs in SLI.

With the game patched,Triple-SLi, 1920x1200, all settings on very high, no AA; I can play the game at very smooth frame rates.....always at or above 30 FPS. I've played the first level up to the grounded ship with no problems and the game is much better graphically than it was in XP......
To play at a decent frame rate and graphic in SLI I couldnt even use Vista before.

nVidia has new beta drivers out that are supposed to improve SLI performance with the Crysis 1.1 patch:
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/betadrivers.aspx?lang=en-uk

Release Highlights
Beta driver for GeForce 6, 7, and 8 series GPUs.
Adds increased SLI and 3-way SLI performance in Crysis when used with the official Crysis Patch v1.1

There are only two drivers that support Triple-SLi; both Vista; 169.25 and 169.28.
I'm using 169.28 (the beta driver):D

Scali2 wasn't asking you which drivers support Triple-SLI, also, 30fps with 3 8800GTX's in SLI is pretty damn lame.

/

Scali2 wasn't asking you which drivers support Triple-SLI, also, 30fps with 3 8800GTX's in SLI is pretty damn lame.

/
He did link the 169.28 drivers, which I already use and are available from the US download site as well. I was merely pointing out a fact.

So what do you get running Crysis in Vista @ 19x12 with all settings on very high????

Its entirely playable, and graphically unparalleled.

Yes it doesnt seem like much......but compared to 2 FPS using a standard 8800GTX in SLI, I'd say its pretty good.

Are you bothered by something????

Why? Simply put, because I would HATE to see Intel have no competition in the future. The survival of AMD is really important for the CPU industry and also for all of us. Look at how long Intel sat on the Netburst architecture until they felt the pressure from AMD's K8.. If AMD bites the dust, I fear we could see a major slowdown in innovation in the x86 market, along with some steep prices.

QFT

The past year and a half (ever since Conroe), we've really seen Intel be on top of the game, and look where we are at right now - Quad cores for as cheap as $250. Competition is great, and now I'd like to see AMD offer the same innovation with Phenom that we saw, and continue to see, with the Core architecture.

In fact, a strong testament to Kaleb's point would be the fact that we now have delayed Yorkfield, because B3 stepping faster-clocked Phenoms were delayed until Q2. It's a prime example why we need competition not just in the CPU industry, but in the computer industry as a whole (or any industry, at that).

Are you bothered by something????

Sorry, did I mistakenly show any form of "giving a damn" to anything posted on a forum?

Seriously, don't ask questions like that, my opinion is 3 8800GTX's in SLI only yielding 30FPS is pretty lame, because it's true, I am not saying it is a complete failure, because you're more than likely going to see some insane FPS's in other games, which validates the need for 3 8800GTX's for high-resolution greatness. I surely hope my opinion in a public forum isn't bothering you though, now that I look at things, it does seem like it is.

Sorry, did I mistakenly show any form of "giving a damn" to anything posted on a forum?

Seriously, don't ask questions like that, my opinion is 3 8800GTX's in SLI only yielding 30FPS is pretty lame, because it's true, I am not saying it is a complete failure, because you're more than likely going to see some insane FPS's in other games, which validates the need for 3 8800GTX's for high-resolution greatness. I surely hope my opinion in a public forum isn't bothering you though, now that I look at things, it does seem like it is.

He gave performance figures at 1920 res with everything on VERY HIGH, I think thats pretty good considering we are talking about Crysis!
30fps in Crysis is acceptable with post processing set to max (ie it uses good motion blurring).
I get approx 33fps playing at 1366 res on high, 30fps with a very high tweak (DX9). I bet it looks amazing on his kit!
Not all games will give give 30fps as you say, it would be nice to hear what other games can use triple SLI.

IMO the HD 3850 cards are a great value and well done. The HD 3850 512Mb is likely plenty of card for most users. Many of them will approach stock HD 3870 speeds. The HD 3870 is also good for it's price.

As far as "Crysis" goes 3850s can handle that fine on the DX-9 path using a combination of high and medium settings-

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1335274023#post1335274023

A single overclocked HD 3850 can do 1680x if you stick to all medium.

Heck my Crossfired 3850s run "Oblivion" better than my 8800GTX @ 661|2040 with a 1600 shader clock using 4xAA|8xAF + HDR @ 1680x. Particularly in heavy foliage.

I am having zero issues with my Agena 9600 and my only disappointment would be that they do not currently overclock well.

I've seen some fellows @ 2.8+GHz and most that are 24/7 stable are doing about 2640MHz.

I have been using AMD since replacing my P3-500 Katmai with a Duron 700, which I overclocked to 900MHz.

Unfortunately, my next few system upgrades are likely to be Intel based. While I do like AMD, I am not a brand loyalist. I go where the performance takes me. AMD has messed up, and I do not see them recovering the ground they've lost until their next core at the soonest.

ATI, well, the only ATI cards I've ever owned were a Mach64 1MB (onboard) and a Radeon 9800 Pro. Overall I've been more pleased with nvidia's cards since I first purchased a TNT2 Ultra.

Some people take things personally, I wasnt sure what you meant by what you said, that's all.
I know 30-35 FPS seems weak compared to the hardware it takes to get there, and I really dont think Crysis as a game is/was all that compelling; but it seems to be a benchmark for hardware either putting-up or shutting-up.
I'm very encouraged by the technology actually working.....and it does allow the game to be played with some unbelievable eye-candy.

well, true, okey here is my thoughts, they are maybe nowhere true, it may be the truth, do be abit filosofic(i smell misspelling :p).

okey i had a 500 mhz P3 dual cpu, clocked at 564 mhz or something, i was satisfied with single core, i came to the point, i wanna test 2 cpu's, i cant remember what game i could use it in, i was just WOOW, but, the fun stopped mostly there, i rocked SETI stats ;)

more than that. NO. :p

dualcore came in around 2005, and after that just BOOM, ati is getting out with 2x 3870 more or less on a single PCB with 1 gb memory, what do you guys smell, same thing to happen with GPU, nvidia has some works to do with this though, GX2 is just crappy solution compared to ati, im sure its hard to do it the ati way.
anyway, when ati gets that out, maybe game devs will start using it more and more, and eventually, we will see 2gpu's on a single die.

EDIT: it may happen that nvidia gets dualcore die's faster, but the way it is now, ati have the lead in multi-gpu setups, which may give amd abit support with financial, getting better videocards, more income, maybe we can see amd intel fight hard again, once again :p

well, true, okey here is my thoughts, they are maybe nowhere true, it may be the truth, do be abit filosofic(i smell misspelling :p).

okey i had a 500 mhz P3 dual cpu, clocked at 564 mhz or something, i was satisfied with single core, i came to the point, i wanna test 2 cpu's, i cant remember what game i could use it in, i was just WOOW, but, the fun stopped mostly there, i rocked SETI stats ;)

more than that. NO. :p

dualcore came in around 2005, and after that just BOOM, ati is getting out with 2x 3870 more or less on a single PCB with 1 gb memory, what do you guys smell, same thing to happen with GPU, nvidia has some works to do with this though, GX2 is just crappy solution compared to ati, im sure its hard to do it the ati way.
anyway, when ati gets that out, maybe game devs will start using it more and more, and eventually, we will see 2gpu's on a single die.

EDIT: it may happen that nvidia gets dualcore die's faster, but the way it is now, ati have the lead in multi-gpu setups.
:eek:you hurted my brain

Back