Please Post Links to Reputable 6900 Reviews When They Go Up

Seems odd with a delayed release (blamed on lack of component supply?) that proper drivers would not be ready.

Thanks for posting that review to the Russian website. :)

6970: I think it's going to be extremely competitive. In the benchmarks it is usually ~10% slower than the 580, but as an overall package it's sweet. You get, more VRAM(not that it matters), all sorts of AA modes, a shitload of connectivity options, and most importantly 90% of the performance for 80% of the price. Bang/buck win in the high end.

6950: Pointless, compared to...

5870: The one that just keeps chugging. For people playing at 1920 x 1200 and below IMHO this is a better value, it's even cheaper for the same performance.

EDIT: I made a nasty assumption I shouldn't have. How much you guys think the 6900 are going to be priced for? I think $400 and $300.

Last edited:
Yeah, the extra outputs are very nice, really taking Nvidia to the woodshed in that department.

It'll be interesting to see how the 6950/6970 scale in crossfire and how they respond to max stable overclocking. The story isn't over yet and yes the 10.12 official release drivers may help. If the crossfire isn't borked I'd say that'll be a good reason to buy a 6950 over a 5870 2gb, also if it overclocks like crazy could be another.

Did anyone find out if they tested using quality of High Quality filtering? Also were those real world or canned synthetic benchmarks in that russian review?

Did anyone find out if they tested using quality of High Quality filtering? Also were those real world or canned synthetic benchmarks in that russian review?

According to the review, they used the in-game benchmarks - so real-world, canned? Synthetic would be Heaven and 3D Mark, right?

It'll be interesting to see how the 6950/6970 scale in crossfire and how they respond to max stable overclocking. The story isn't over yet and yes the 10.12 official release drivers may help. If the crossfire isn't borked I'd say that'll be a good reason to buy a 6950 over a 5870 2gb, also if it overclocks like crazy could be another.
Don't forget the 6870 though. That one has great scaling as well. Which is why I don't get the whole 'placing the 6950 at 5870 level' thing, or as AMD would call it, 'A class of its own'. Kinda embarrassing really, having it nearly beaten by their own one year old card even though this one's not only newer but supposedly in a higher segment as well.

According to the review, they used the in-game benchmarks - so real-world, canned? Synthetic would be Heaven and 3D Mark, right?

Boo! What about filtering quality did they use driver defaults (quality) or boost both to HQ. The latter would be a fair comparison, the former nets AMD nearly 10% extra. For the sake of the numbers I hope they used HQ as that would mean it's genuinely within 5-10% of GTX 580 currenty if they used Quality they could truly be as far as 10-15% (or more) away performance-wise. Their price advantage is also only an advantage assuming nvidia doesn't change theirs which if the current trends are an indication they will put pressure and lower price. Hopefully these cards overclock like it's nobody's business, perform phenomenally in surround and their crossfire scaling is as good or better than the 6800 series which is already much better than the 5800 series.

Don't forget the 6870 though. That one has great scaling as well. Which is why I don't get the whole 'placing the 6950 at 5870 level' thing, or as AMD would call it, 'A class of its own'. Kinda embarrassing really, having it nearly beaten by their own one year old card even though this one's not only newer but supposedly in a higher segment as well.

Good point, overclocking is going to be important. If the 6970 doesn't overclock well then people will just buy the GTX 570 and overclock to beat it. There is has no price advantage. If they beat a 6870 in crossfire by a good margin then it'll be a good value to many considering multi card. I expect nvidia to apply pressure and offer much more aggressive pricing on their 500 series but I don't think they'll match the price of the 6900 series. We'll see very soon I guess :D

Last edited:

To bad Nvidia's filter setting don't change anything.

Thus , the problem is clear : NVIDIA filtering settings (HP , P , Q , HQ) are pretty useless , there is no difference between them at all , it's like they all behave the same way .

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59133

To bad Nvidia's filter setting don't change anything.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59133

Who is this guy? Is he some random guy on the forum? He mentions they did testing and all but that's a strange find. Either way to avoid the degradations and compare fairly they should test HQ to HQ there AMD has no degradations that boost the fps up to 10%, using your argument one could say they should measure nvidia quality(or lower) vs amd HQ but I'd rather not chance it and get the most honest test possible. Even if that nets nvidia a 3% performance boost over HQ or less it's still not a fair comparison. The one place everyone should be able to agree upon is HQ vs HQ especially on these high end cards where most will be moving their filtering to HQ anyway.

Who is this guy? Is he some random guy on the forum?

Yes, and some random guy responded to him

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1502378&postcount=4
There is currently a bug in the NV control panel that affects the 250 - 260 series drivers when changing the texture filtering quality setting from Quality to High Quality, it does not turn off the trilinear texture filtering optimization as it is supposed to. Changing from Quality to High Quality should turn off both the anisotropic and trilinear filtering optimizations at least that's how it worked with the 190 series drivers.

I reported the bug to Nvidia when using the 480 and will report it again with the 580 after some more testing. I made a thread when I first came across this problem on the NvNews forums > NVIDIA Graphics Drivers > Windows Vista/Windows 7 Graphics Drivers > 250 - 260 Series drivers High Quality texture filtering setting bug? if you want to check it out.

I checked out tom's for the first time in years because of this thread, jesus that is a hard format to figure out.

$370 for the 6970
$300 for the 6950

Win

+1

That's why the 5870 went down to $270 and the 5970 is at $500, they opened up a gap to fill.

You don't compare a $380 part to a $500 part, period.

Case in point here and here

Last edited:
$370 for the 6970
$300 for the 6950

Win

A big win, IF

GTX 580 $499.99

GTX 570 $349.99

However nvidia has power to change things and then make it a tougher fight. BTW, how do they make money with these cards at those prices, the vram alone must cost $100 per card. I can't wait to see good performance #s from the {H} I'm loving the pricing and the performance for the price looks real good!

I have the moeny in Paypal waiting right now lol I would get a 6970 xfx..Wife just said I could get 2 lol WOOOT 30 inch is going to look goood...

A big win, IF

GTX 580 $499.99

GTX 570 $349.99

However nvidia has power to change things and then make it a tougher fight. BTW, how do they make money with these cards at those prices, the vram alone must cost $100 per card. I can't wait to see good performance #s from the {H} I'm loving the pricing and the performance for the price looks real good!

do you know how cheap the dram has gotten over the last few months. You might think that it costs them a 100 but I seriously doubt it. I say 25 bucks a pop for the ram. Believe me they wouldn't be selling the card for that much if it ram was 100 bucks. It has vapor chamber cooling, and 2 display ports. Yields must be really good for the card, and that is probably why we are not seeing 1920 shaders and only 1536. I am thinking it probably costs them less then 200 hundered to make that card.

Zarathustra[H];1036566990 said:
Disagree,

The 6970 performs similarly to the GTX570, and costs more money....

Its good that you know the exact performance of the 6970 already.

Disagree,

Well good point there, but we gotta see how they overclock also the vram could help alot in surround for the few who are doing that... me :D

Disagree,

$380 and $360 = GTX 570 is $20 cheaper.

2GB VRAM and 1.28GB VRAM = 6970 has 768MB more.

5 Display Outputs and 2 Display Outputs = 6970 has three more.

There is alot there to justify a measly $20 more on a ~$400 purchase. Let's wait until we get [H]'s review before we decide how they perform.

Its good that you know the exact performance of the 6970 already.

The card released already in other parts of the world and the reviews are everywhere except here. That's a good enough indication of where the performance will fall, unless your still in denial. But don't focus on performance alone, the price/performance is awesome, the only thing that can poop in their coffee would be if nvidia lowers GTX 580 to $419.99 and GTX 570 to $319.99.

Hahaha, it's ridiculous how much Lost Planet 2 and HAWX2 favor nvidia.

570 is nearly 200% better than a 5870 in HAWX2.

Good thing both games are garbage, otherwise it'd be a real shitty situation for AMD customers.

We don't have a solidified performance profile yet, but at the very least, I'm disappointed at the 1536sp as opposed to 1920. I suppose that 1920sp would have required a significantly larger core...darn :(

meh... there's still some small chance that VR-Zone is wrong, but I doubt it.

But yes - it does seem to do well at higher resolutions. It may just be a great option for Eyefinity resolutions.

As it stands (based on this review alone) the price to performance ratio for the 6970 is solid...
If the 10.12 brings that kind of an increase, than the 6970 will be a few percentage points behind the 580GTX on average (again based on this review) which IMO will be a pure win for AMD based on rumored price...
AMD really needs to do something about DIRT 2 (oh the irony)...
lolwut the 570 pretty much equals it while being cheaper, I'll wait for reputable reviews but how it stands the 6970 is fail!

only a price drop can save it

I was really hoping for better. For various reasons I have a distaste for Nvidia and would rather buy an ATI card but I just can't justify it with this price/performance. It will likely be either an overclocked 570 or 580 in my sandy bridge build.

More 10.11 benchmarks?
WHY?

THIS

I could see if the driver was just a leak... but 10.12 is available for worldwide official download on game.amd.com

Are reviewers mentally challenged?

So far I am very unimpressed, looks like I get to stay with my 4870 X2 even longer *sigh*.

I was really hoping for better. For various reasons I have a distaste for Nvidia and would rather buy an ATI card but I just can't justify it with this price/performance. It will likely be either an overclocked 570 or 580 in my sandy bridge build.
I've got an evga 570 in my cart ready to go.
Waiting on more benchmarks though.

Hold off dude, the price will be coming down, unless you can price match it, I'd hold off.
You think the 6950 and 6970 will cause a 570 cut?
I don't see that happening...

I'm also weighing a 6950 OC as well.
It seems to do very well based on the VR-Zone article; passing the 570 and 6970.

Very disappointed with the 6970 results. Whats worse that not that it runs slower than the GTX 580 it runs hotter which killed it.

Also, why did they had to cut the shader count? And they still had to use a shitty 256 bit memory bus, I guess being stuck on 40nm just didn't really have much room for improvement. The GTX 580 looks like a better buy, and I'm pro ATI.

You think the 6950 and 6970 will cause a 570 cut?
I don't see that happening...

I'm also weighing a 6950 OC as well.
It seems to do very well based on the VR-Zone article; passing the 570 and 6970.

Damn dude I'm in shock at this point, fudo was right... about everything!!! OMG, 1536 SP, 6950 in a class of its own, less performance than GTX 580, he was spot on!, not only that the 570 is a real winner! What a comeback by nvidia this round. BTW, to answer your question I think nvidia will push the price down a bit to add more pressure, imagine now the 570 trades blows with 6970 and is cheaper, imagine they lower the price by $20.00 or so, that would kill the reason to buy a 6950 as 570 beats it for only $29.99 more, and that would kill the reason for a 6970 as the 570 trades blows for $39.99 less. They can lower the price of 580 too and I believe they will. Bring on the GTX 560 series!!

Back