Please Post Links to Reputable 6900 Reviews When They Go Up

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't have every reputable hardware review site bookmarked, and I'm sure most of the people here don't either.

As the title says, please post links so that the eagerly awaiting masses can see the real specs and performance. All the user reviews are sorely lacking a shitload of info.(shitload doesn't get marked as a typo :D).

Thanks.

6900 Series @ AnandTech

6900 Series @ Bit-Tech

6900 Series @ HardwareHeaven

6900 Series @ HotHardware

6900 Series @ Legion Hardware

6900 Series @ ComputerBase (German)

6900 Series @ PC Perspective

6970/6950 Review w/ CrossFire Scaling @ Tom'sHardware

6970 Review (Cat 10.11) @ Benchmark Reviews

6970 Review @ TechPowerUp

6970/6950 Review @ HardwareCanucks

6970/6950 Review (Cat 'Press Driver') @ VR-Zone

Translated 6970/6950 Review (Cat 10.11) @ iXBT

Last edited:
only one you need

[H]

After all it's 1AM CST and it's not up yet, so I'm getting antsy.

I just want to see the review ASAP, so I'm hoping as soon as a review goes up someone will post a linky.

NOTE: [H]'s review is the most informative out of all the reviews I read on any video cards. No one else has figured out the most relevant benchmark yet.

You got around 22hrs before they start to show up since NDA is supposedly ending at 12:01AM EST on the 15th.

only one you need

[H]
I realize we're on HardForum and all, but...
Seriously, you're probably going to need more than one. Honestly, for me, H is the last one I check. What can I say, I'm an apples-to-apples guy.

You got around 22hrs before they start to show up since NDA is supposedly ending at 12:01AM EST on the 15th.

D'oh! I thought today was the 15th.. :p

/facepalm

I realize we're on HardForum and all, but...
Seriously, you're probably going to need more than one. Honestly, for me, H is the last one I check. What can I say, I'm an apples-to-apples guy.

Apples-to-apples is extremely important for noticing things like resolution scaling, the VRAM wall, AA scaling, marginalized performance, and a whole lot I can't think of right now.

[H]'s review style is priceless because it actually tells you the best IQ each product can/will give you.

They both have their place, and if either didn't exist, it would be a loss to us readers because they complement each other. My $0.02.

I thought it would be 8PM California time today. The 15th date was for GMT or so I heard.

I read something similar but I think it'll be the 15th here. We're 26-30 hours away tops from the review being posted all over, I can't wait :D

Hopefully sites use HQ vs HQ like {H}ardOCP does, that's all I'm saying.

Waiting for [H]'s review before I look at anything else. Even though there are tons of other quality sites I think [H] has the best overall review etiquette and they don't rely on bullshit synthetic benchmarks like 3D Mark , they use true comparisons versus cards that are placed in the same category for real world performance.

So far [H]'s test methodology has yet to lead me wrong or produce skewed results.

Will wait patiently,and lets hope for an awesome new shiny FAST card to emerge:D

I'm sure we will have one review "accidentally" published before the NDA is lifted. It seems too happen for every new card release.

I have my eye on a 6950 and hope that it reviews well, otherwise I will just hold off and see about the nVidia 560.
After all the chaos and speculation this week, it will be great to finally nail down the 6900 series performance.

Yeah I can't wait for the review in 24 hours. The 6970 should either be awesome, a big disappointment, or some kind of value/performance 'bargain'. So we've got 3 outcomes to think about. Plus what is this thing with 190W vs 250W performance? I know I'll be cranking it at 250W+ whenever I game or benchmark!

I use 2 sites when evaluating products. [H]ardocp, and Anandtech.

Each site provides a different look at evaluating the product, and combined give me enough I need to know to make educated assessments on something.

I use 2 sites when evaluating products. [H]ardocp, and Anandtech.

Each site provides a different look at evaluating the product, and combined give me enough I need to know to make educated assessments on something.

This is pretty much the path I follow as well when viewing reviews. It's the one, two punch.

AMD isn't giving reviewers a lot of time to review these cards, are they? What's the average time reviewers have from receiving review samples to NDA lift?

I value [H]ard's opinion the most over any out there by far. Nothing else is close. I trust them the most.

After that I like The Tech Report. I do read all the reviews I can find though. I probably hit up to 15-20 sites on release day.

I only pray Kyle does a 6970 Crossfire vs GTX 580 sli benchmark at 2560x1600.

Don't worry OP! Kyle covers all the corners. My second favorite site is Guru3d and my third is Anandtech.

I thought Germans are among the most reputable people, especially when it comes down to telling you the truth and giving you your money back, unlike the Greeks, the Italians, the Spaniards, the Portuguese and most of the people in Africa...

I use [H] mainly because they don't do canned benchmarks.

I do check out the other sites to see what they find, mainly for over-clocking results and what not though.
hot-hardware.
overclockers cafe
Anandtech
toms hardware.

would be some of the sites i visit. I sure someone will goof and post it a bit early, always happens. Guy is getting ready for bed and doesn't want to wait another 2 hours for the NDA to end, rather than waiting till the morning to post it up.

There are already some leaked benchmarks floating around. Which show the 6970 inbetween the 570-580. I dunno if that is the correct. Will find out tomorrow for sure.

Those benchmarks are hard to read.
Looks like it falls between the 570 and 580 for some tests; mostly around the 570 on average; hardly ever (never?) matches the 580.

KTlIb.png

Those benchmarks are hard to read.
Looks like it falls between the 570 and 580 for some tests; mostly around the 570 on average; hardly ever (never?) matches the 580.

Beats the 580GTX (barely) in Crysis...

Performance between 570 and 580 at a price at $370 isn't bad at all...

Maybe we will see better results with 10.12?

Beats the 580GTX (barely) in Crysis...

Performance between 570 and 580 at a price at $370 isn't bad at all...

Maybe we will see better results with 10.12?
I didn't see the driver mentioned in the article.
I went straight for the benchmarks.

For $299, I'm looking at overclocking the 6950 right now. More waiting on the "real" benchmarks, I guess.

EDIT: They're using 10.11 drivers...

Hmm, seems pretty much all benchmarks so far have been using the 10.11 drivers. If indeed the newer ones provide a significant performance increase, as hinted by that one guy who tried them, this could end up pretty badly for ATI, review-wise. Even if the driver only provides another 5-10%, that alone would set it about equal to the 580 in most games.

Those 6950 numbers are pretty shocking though. It's actually slower than the 5870 in several games, and only when tessellation or video memory limits come into play does it really exceed it.

Hmm, seems pretty much all benchmarks so far have been using the 10.11 drivers. If indeed the newer ones provide a significant performance increase, as hinted by that one guy who tried them, this could end up pretty badly for ATI, review-wise. Even if the driver only provides another 5-10%, that alone would set it about equal to the 580 in most games.
If 10.12 adds even only 10% to the existing 6970 performance (shown in that review), then I'm sold.

Kinda meh. I think multiple displays will be better w/69xx in CF due to extra RAM... but for single display, 6970 seems just a little faster than a 570... and also costs a little more. 6970 seems like a fail. 6950 might be okay though... 6950CF even... but really a few threads lately of people being unhappy with CF/SLI has kinda reaffirmed my idea of just getting single GPU. I was kinda hoping 580 prices would drop to 450 at least, but now I don't see why they would. ARGH.

If 10.12 adds even only 10% to the existing 6970 performance (shown in that review), then I'm sold.

If there is a secret driver, currently only in the hands of reviewers that didn't leak info, then AMD wins this information war LOL, up to the very end with no reliable info.

That's just it though. I mean, us here who constantly talk about these things and look all over the net for reviews will probably find out if there is indeed such a change with the newer drivers. However, if everyone's using the 10.11 drivers for the release-day reviews...well, that won't be good for ATI. I really hope [H] has gotten themselves the proper drivers( if such really exist), otherwise the review will tell us next to nothing.

And again, what's up with the 6950? It's actually losing to the 5870( and thus probably the 6870) in the majority of games in that review. Surely there must be something wrong?

That's just it though. I mean, us here who constantly talk about these things and look all over the net for reviews will probably find out if there is indeed such a change with the newer drivers. However, if everyone's using the 10.11 drivers for the release-day reviews...well, that won't be good for ATI. I really hope [H] has gotten themselves the proper drivers( if such really exist), otherwise the review will tell us next to nothing.

There might be a follow up reviews with the new drivers if this is the case...

Yep, that's the risk when you keep the super-secret drivers to yourselves. Assuming they exist, that is.

And again, what's up with the 6950? It's actually losing to the 5870( and thus probably the 6870) in the majority of games in that review. Surely there must be something wrong?

Unless the 6950 was supposed to be the 1536 part, and the 6970 was to be 1920, and something forced them to cut it back.

As it stands (based on this review alone) the price to performance ratio for the 6970 is solid...

If the 10.12 brings that kind of an increase, than the 6970 will be a few percentage points behind the 580GTX on average (again based on this review) which IMO will be a pure win for AMD based on rumored price...

AMD really needs to do something about DIRT 2 (oh the irony)...

Back