Please, PLEASE let this work as a Windows Media Center remote!! new xbox 360 remote

nintari

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.redmondpie.com/new-xbox-...h-bluetooth-and-media-remote-announced-video/

I know [H] posted this not too long ago too, and I have been searching for a long time for the original Media Center remotes that had the TV power button and Volume punch through, but they are hard to find and sell for too much when you do fine them! I also know some of the WMC remotes will work on Xbox 360 and the 360 remotes will work on WMC... so I am crossig my fingers big time that this remote will work!!!! IT'S SO SHINEY :D and updated!

Looks nice, though I suppose being WMC compatible would be too much to ask for...

Doesnt look like the remote is bluetooth, just the standard IR, at least there is no mention of it being bluetooth.

Besides Iwould take the good MS IR over bluetooth in a heartbeat since every wireless device I seem to put in will not work further than 5 feet from my HTPC (tried several RF keyboard and mice, a couple bluetooth transcievers, couple bloetooth key / mouse sets). The MS IR just always worked and worked incredibly well even bouncing off walls and off axis with little line of site needed.

weird, i wonder if it is designed more for the dashboard and not WMC since there is not green button or any of the MCE specific buttons

DREAM SQUASHER :p

yeah I know, I'm still goign to pick one up though to try it out and see. I personally never used the shortcut buttons for recorded tv, my music and etc. But the button I am curious about is the "menu" button on it. I am wondering if it is the MCE equivlent of "DVD Menu" or could possibly be the same IR code for the "green button" Guide, live TV, back and info are all there for the typically used menu buttons, and then of course the arrow and OK button.

I'll just stick with the 3 windows remote that I already have (came with HD-DVD drives)

Doesnt look like the remote is bluetooth, just the standard IR, at least there is no mention of it being bluetooth.

Besides Iwould take the good MS IR over bluetooth in a heartbeat since every wireless device I seem to put in will not work further than 5 feet from my HTPC (tried several RF keyboard and mice, a couple bluetooth transcievers, couple bloetooth key / mouse sets). The MS IR just always worked and worked incredibly well even bouncing off walls and off axis with little line of site needed.

This is definitely not my experience at least with the 360. I have to be pointing directly at it and only at certain angles with the current 360 remote. I would kill for a RF or Bluetooth version I could pair to the 360. As it is now I am liking the 360 less and less as an extender just due to control issues since the IR is so poor especially compared to things like my TiVo which seem like they can pick up the signal from anywhere.

I doubt it will work but here's to hope.

I do not get why my Xbox 360 controllers do not work with MCE? In fact the reason I am here is because we operate our HTPC with a mouse and keyboard and I just bought the rosewill WMC remote. I used WMC for the first time in a long time and realized it is awesome. I had no how much it could do out of the box. Free TV shows and so much and I was very impressed the music playing had the back ground and mix up to keep my plasma from getting burn in.

So I was thinking my xbox remote should work for all this. But it does not.

I doubt it will work but here's to hope.

I do not get why my Xbox 360 controllers do not work with MCE? In fact the reason I am here is because we operate our HTPC with a mouse and keyboard and I just bought the rosewill WMC remote. I used WMC for the first time in a long time and realized it is awesome. I had no how much it could do out of the box. Free TV shows and so much and I was very impressed the music playing had the back ground and mix up to keep my plasma from getting burn in.

So I was thinking my xbox remote should work for all this. But it does not.

Are you talking an actual xbox controller, or the xbox media remote? The xbox remote works just fine with MCE, you just have to change a registry key to get it to recognize.

I am talking about the actual controllers. I have 2 xbox controllers and the wireless receiver. Outside of games which support them they do not do anything which is very annoying. Especially given W7MC is made by MS and is perfectly setup for controller use.

Side note, but why are there no high end WMC remotes? I've tried the Harmony line, but it has latency issues and commands queue up.

Side note, but why are there no high end WMC remotes? I've tried the Harmony line, but it has latency issues and commands queue up.

Probably a little too much of a niche market. I have an Amulet Voice Remote - has volume/tv power pass through, backlit and very nicely built but it is pricey.

Another reason there are probably not many high end HTPC remotes is because realistically nothing replaces a mouse and keyboard. You can try to mess with anything you want but at the end of the day you are going to want a good mouse or trackball around and a keyboard. Otherwise navigation is just to cumbersome.

I forgot I went and got one of these to play with and it did not work out of the box :( took it back since I didn't know what else to do with it.

But now that you mention the registry change I may try it again.... maybe that is what was going on. googleing now (unless someone posts it here to share)

Another reason there are probably not many high end HTPC remotes is because realistically nothing replaces a mouse and keyboard. You can try to mess with anything you want but at the end of the day you are going to want a good mouse or trackball around and a keyboard. Otherwise navigation is just to cumbersome.
Say what? My media center remote is far superior to a mouse when I'm sitting on my couch.

Well you must have a terrible mouse, or the best remote I have ever seen. I have 2 different remotes, 2 xbox controllers and a mouse and keyboard. And the mouse is just plain better I mouse on the arm of the couch or my lap. Sure the remote works alright during certain situations like if you are in W7MC but at the same time a mouse works just as well in W7MC, however as soon as you step out of that realm and try to do more in windows or game, things get extremely slow and cumbersome using anything but a mouse.

Well you must have a terrible mouse, or the best remote I have ever seen. I have 2 different remotes, 2 xbox controllers and a mouse and keyboard. And the mouse is just plain better I mouse on the arm of the couch or my lap. Sure the remote works alright during certain situations like if you are in W7MC but at the same time a mouse works just as well in W7MC, however as soon as you step out of that realm and try to do more in windows or game, things get extremely slow and cumbersome using anything but a mouse.

I'm assuming he just means convenience on the couch. I have a hard time leaning back and using a conventional mouse on my couch as well, I find that using the DiNovo Mini is easier when doing basic tasks as opposed to a regular mouse where I would have to lean towards my coffee table (mouse doesn't work well on my couch surface).

Back