Please Pick a Socket A CPU for me

CooLSpoT

Limp Gawd
This is for my server. I do mostly hosting from my house with it as in: file printing sharing, Teamspeak hosting, FTP and so on. I do a lot of lan parties and I need to use this as a game server as well during those times.

MB: Asus A7V8X-X
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V8X-X&langs=01
FSB 333 / 266 / 200MHz

RAM: both Muskin
One stick of DDR 2400 256mb
One stick of DDR 2700 2-2-2 256mb
I plan on replaceing my ram on my main box and putting the old ram in this server.
It will have a gig of 2700 2-2-2 soon.

I been doing a search in here and read a lot. I am leaning towards getting the cheapest AMD Mobile Athlon XP. BUT only reason I would get this chip is for overclocking. Overclocking on a server, well not do sure about that. Also my Ram will be 333mhz and if I do get a Mobile I will be suck with 266fsb right?

I will be using my old SLK-800 the HUGE copper heat-sink. I was able to over clock my XP 2400 to 2.4ghz from 2.0 and get my same 2700 333 ram up to 400mhz

Budget is tight. In the rang from 60-80. I don’t want to spend too much or too little. I need to get some more hdd space for my server plus buy some new ram soon and that’s going to cost me. I would be willing to spend more, but only if you can show me the benifits.

Thanks for reading this mess and any help you can share

Bugalaman said:
how about this: 2400 Mobile Barton

from what i've heard, they OC like crazy. Too bad the regular 2500's they sell are locked now :(

regual 2500+s suck next to a good moble...but the 2400+ you listed is a 45watt 2400+ worst of the moble overclcockers..

Best are the 2600+M, 45watt or the 35watt 2400+M (same thing just about)

Bugalaman said:
how about this: 2400 Mobile Barton

from what i've heard, they OC like crazy. Too bad the regular 2500's they sell are locked now :(

yes about what about OC for a server? what about having my bottleneck at 266fsb. what about spending the same $$ and getting a AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.833GHz, 333MHz FSB 256KB L2 Processor. wouldnt that be better if I wasnt going to OC?

If you get a 2400 35W mobile (the best IMO I had mine at 2.8 on water), Oc'ing it for a server is no big deal. It will run solid at the min. 2.5. You can crank the FSB up to 200-220 without any problem and eliminate your 266 Bottleneck. This is the route I would go, these mobiles make awesome systems.

RoGeR ThAt said:
If you get a 2400 35W mobile (the best IMO I had mine at 2.8 on water), Oc'ing it for a server is no big deal. It will run solid at the min. 2.5. You can crank the FSB up to 200-220 without any problem and eliminate your 266 Bottleneck. This is the route I would go, these mobiles make awesome systems.

Where can I find one?

I(illa Bee said:
I still say pay the extra 6 bucks (95$) for the 2600+M...
If you get a 35W model dont spend the extra cash on a 2600, it will perform no better at all.

everyone agree on the
AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2400+, 266 MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache Processor, 35 Watt- OEM
for $89.00

I need this chip by Sat so i need to order today

Why 94.45? Sales tax?

Just ordered three 2600+M's myself, upgrading my entire farm.

A mobile would be your best bet but with that Via chipset motherboard it might or might not work with the mobile Barton. Unless your willing to take that risk you'd be better off getting a XP 3000+ 333fsb cpu with that board. I saw one just sell here on the For Sale forum for $60 shipped used so that would be worth watching the forums for another one to come along cheap.

via = no agp/pci lock = no fsb overclocking = not a good idea for a mobile chip that's meant to be overclocked in a desktop setup.

(thanks for pointing out that it's via, i read it as a7n8x-x, the nf2 board :()

(cf)Eclipse said:
via = no agp/pci lock = no fsb overclocking = not a good idea for a mobile chip that's meant to be overclocked in a desktop setup.

(thanks for pointing out that it's via, i read it as a7n8x-x, the nf2 board :()

Umm, where were you 7 hours ago? Crap.... welll shall I try to return with newegg?

sorry mate :(
i just didn't notice before. if i could read like a normal kid, i would have point it out sooner.

however.. that out of the way, i dunno what i'd do. if you do decide to return it, don't use the cpu.
the board is rated for 333mhz fsb, which is really 166mhz. you can do that without bringing everything out of spec. i don't know if there's another divider for 200mhz or not.
the one review i just read on it got the fsb up to 183mhz. now since the 2400+ has a stock multi of 13.5, that means you can possibly get to 2.47ghz. which isn't bad in the least.
without bringing the board out of spec, 2.24ghz
now both of those are on the assumption that the stock multi will work, and the board doesn't revert to a lower multi when you go over 12.5x (my a7n8x did this, but with a cpu that had a stock multi of 11, not greater than 12.5)
if the board can indeed go higher than 12.5x.. well you'll be fine. just don't bring that fsb out of spec.

If you have trouble changing the multiplier in the bios (or you want some spiffy multiplier management in windows) use this http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en .
Crystal CPUID has a great little multiplier management feature that adjusts the processor multiplier based off the current load on the processor.

(cf)Eclipse said:
sorry mate :(
i just didn't notice before. if i could read like a normal kid, i would have point it out sooner.

however.. that out of the way, i dunno what i'd do. if you do decide to return it, don't use the cpu.
the board is rated for 333mhz fsb, which is really 166mhz. you can do that without bringing everything out of spec. i don't know if there's another divider for 200mhz or not.
the one review i just read on it got the fsb up to 183mhz. now since the 2400+ has a stock multi of 13.5, that means you can possibly get to 2.47ghz. which isn't bad in the least.
without bringing the board out of spec, 2.24ghz
now both of those are on the assumption that the stock multi will work, and the board doesn't revert to a lower multi when you go over 12.5x (my a7n8x did this, but with a cpu that had a stock multi of 11, not greater than 12.5)
if the board can indeed go higher than 12.5x.. well you'll be fine. just don't bring that fsb out of spec.

Thanks for the time and detials you went into. I will check to see what this board can do. If I do mess around the the FSB i can always clear the cmos if i cant get it to post I bet.

New question
I also have an Abit nf7-RAID nfoce board that use to be my main system. It was knocked out of the MB slots during a Southwest Flight. that flight killed my CPU, Video Card, hard drives. I have no idea if the MB works, and a little worried about testing it.

What would you guys recommend?
Test it and hope it doesnt burn up my new CPU?

Wraithblade said:
If you have trouble changing the multiplier in the bios (or you want some spiffy multiplier management in windows) use this http://crystalmark.info/?lang=en .
Crystal CPUID has a great little multiplier management feature that adjusts the processor multiplier based off the current load on the processor.

I have read up on those, Dont think I would ever use it on a server/ Game machine. But still a neat little program =)

CooLSpoT said:
New question
I also have an Abit nf7-RAID nfoce board that use to be my main system. It was knocked out of the MB slots during a Southwest Flight. that flight killed my CPU, Video Card, hard drives. I have no idea if the MB works, and a little worried about testing it.

What would you guys recommend?
Test it and hope it doesnt burn up my new CPU?
hmm. does the board have any noticable damage on it? look over it veeeeeeeerrrrry carefully. i think the worst that is likely to happen is that it just doesn't boot... there shouldn't be any reason for it to kill anything in the process. however, if you don't have 'spare' parts to test it with, i would be a little skeptical about using it.

and matt: i think he'll want to overclock it for those times he's gaming ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
hmm. does the board have any noticable damage on it? look over it veeeeeeeerrrrry carefully. i think the worst that is likely to happen is that it just doesn't boot... there shouldn't be any reason for it to kill anything in the process. however, if you don't have 'spare' parts to test it with, i would be a little skeptical about using it.

and matt: i think he'll want to overclock it for those times he's gaming ;)

I'll go over it inch by inch, Man you own! Wish I could like vote on your posts, I would give you a 10 on each one or somethin. Thanks again

mattthemodder said:
If you get a mobile, its only 35W so couldn't you cool it passivly. Having a quiet server?

Already have a speed contorler for it. Going to have a nice fan on it, the only thing I should hear is the hdd's, But when I do need to host a game server, going to crank it up =P

CooLSpoT said:
I'll go over it inch by inch, Man you own! Wish I could like vote on your posts, I would give you a 10 on each one or somethin. Thanks again
:D

let us know how it is. and best of luck to that board.
hehe, i can verify now that most computers are unreasonably strong. i once dropped an old p2 board (440dx chipset) off a table onto a concrete floor it has ram, a video card and the cpu in it (not in a case though).
"hmm" was my comment. i put the thing back together.. and what do you know? it boots up! quite amazing indeed. ;)

Turns out that the Motherboard still does work great. having some problems when I try to turn it off. It will keep the power on, but the I can gradually hear the hard drive speeds slow down then speed up over and over. Also my BLUE light inside my case will pulse on and off when I do this

Any thoughts?

I also noticed when I plugged in 3 or more NICs it will pluse the power on start up as well. I only have 2 nics in there right now + the onboard one.

sounds like something damaged, but it's not compromising stability. i dunno how to get around that power-down issue... never turn it off? :p

edit: yay for stating the obvious. my brain isn't working right now, check back with me tomorrow.
next! :cool:

Back