please help with speed and torrents!!!!!

Firebomb

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the updated speeds with 8 meg down and 512k upload on my cable modem, but a problem I have been haveing is that when I am useing torrents I can't do anything else as far as websurfing or anything for that matter cuz it times out, but when I close the torrent it is fine again.

I would think I am maxing it out, but I am only useing around 50k down and 50 k upload, and that is not even touching what I am suppose to be getting, Can anyone help me.
Also I am useing Azureus for my torrent

mordenkainen

Weaksauce
Your upload speed is only 512kbps. 50k a second is maxing that baby out. Its timing out trying to request the webpage your viewing due to having no bandwidth to send the request. :)

kdheads

Limp Gawd
limit your upload on it and it will not only increase the download speed, but then you'll have the ability to also surf

Firebomb

[H]ard|Gawd
no It's 50kB that I am uploading but even when I limit it, it still does that. basicly when I use torrent I cant do anyting but if I shut it off, its ok

kdheads

Limp Gawd
KB = Kilo Bytes
kb = kilo bits
512kbps is the upload and that equals out to 62.5KB...thats 512kbps\8b\1024B= KB's

Tazman2

Supreme [H]ardness
I'll assume you have Windows SP2 installed. Find the sp2 tcp/ip fix as that removes the 10 concurrent connection max set by SP2!

One of the things I noticed is that a lot of the bandwidth limitations built into programs arn't really effective, an old roommate of mine was using bittorrent non-stop and it would constantly lag the network to 300-400ms pings, because the upload bandwidth was so choked that ack's couldn't go out fast enough. After I proved that it was BitTorrent that was causing it, he used the a built-in limiter as well as another program that would supposedly limit bandwidth on a per-process level. This helped a lot, but sometimes there would be lag spurts that were pretty bad, which turned out to be the limiters just sucking at what they do. It took me a while before I found a program that had a good enough kernel module to do the bandwidth limiting right under Windows, but I found it. Sadly the program is overly buggy and no longer developed (it also costs $$$, and obviously has no support). Your best bet is to get a router that supports QoS, and setup BitTorrent traffic with a low priority, or find a good program to limit bandwidth on your machine. Theres a few decent ones around but you have to look hard and experiment.

Zardoz

2[H]4U
As stated you are saturating your upload, you need to set your torrent client about 66to 75% of your max upload, that will help you some with other apps and slowness.

xXaNaXx

Gawd
get a program called NetLimiter to limit the upload.....works great here.....