Please help with Norco 4020 server build

ymee

Weaksauce
Guys,

I would like to build a WHS based server for my desktop PC and HTPC systems based on the Norco 4020. Could someone please suggest what motherboard, power supply and SATA controller cards I should buy?

Also, is the Norco 4020 good enough or have they released something better recently?

Will an Atom based MB make sense if I am trying to save power or is that CPU too slow for WHS?

I have a Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard lying around. Will this be an OK MB to use for this build?

Appreciate your suggestions.

are you planning to fill out all 20bays? I've orderd a "norco" v2 case from x-case.co.uk in the uk. should have it delivered today.

I'm planning to get a areca 1680x 16 port- currently going to use onboard sata as temporary solution. get a power supply with a single high rail. any mobo will do, if you want a power efficient system-then yes go for a atom based system. i used a socket 775 for my build and its been solid with a celeron processor- does the job for filesharing running svr 08.

get a raid card that has smart power- i.e. switches off hdd's in a raid array when the individual drives are not in use. this a is a feature the areca 1680x card has.

There are a million and one threads about this type of build already - use the search or just scroll down through this section. You should find answers to your questions, like what hardware people are using, there already.

How many drives are you going to start with.

Just a note on the cases.

4020: SATA Connectors, better airflow.
4220: SAS Connectors, worse airflow, LOUDER Fans.

thanks for the replies guys. I plan on starting with around 5, 1 or 1.5TB drives and then slowly filling the system up.

Any issues with using "green" drives for this system?

My MB has the following PCI slots

2x PCI Express x16
2x PCI Express x1
3x PCI Slots

I will place a video card in the PCI express slot. Can someone suggest a good 8 or 16 port SATA controller card? I am not interested in running the system in RAID so RAID is not a requirement.

Thanks

Well get a Supermicro SAT2-MV8 or a SASLP-MV8.

I have some HDDs for cheap if your interested also.

SAT2-MV8 is a PCI-X card and my MOBO wont support it, no PCI-X slots.

SASLP-MV8 is a PCI-E x4 card...will this work in a PCI-E x1 slot?

It probably would, but be limited to 250MB/s for the entire card and you'd have to file the right end of the port in order for it to fit.

SAT2-MV8 is a PCI-X card and my MOBO wont support it, no PCI-X slots.

SAT2-MV8 works in PCI and PCI-X slots, it will just run at 133MB./s instead of 1066MB/s
SASLP-MV8 will work in an x1 but as syntax error has pointed out you will be limiting the bus speed.

However, that is not a problem when Using WHS.
WHS you will be limited to the speed of the drive that you are accessing because its a JBOD type system.
Secondly you will be limited by your network. Assuming you have Gigabit LAN, you are limited to 125MB/s theoretical max.

Back