Please Help-Wireless Adapter Issue

RoGuE1230

Limp Gawd
I just finished building my new computer and I can't connect to the internet because my Linksys WUSB11 v2.6 adapter doesn't have any drivers for Windows 7. I searched and someone said to use v2.5 but that didn't work either. Is there anything I can do?

This is part of the joy that is building a computer from scratch yourself. You should always make sure that every component you buy or intend to use is supported on the operating system that you plan to run. If the vendor does not have drivers for the OS you are screwed and need to replace the component.

This happens a LOT with network adapters for some reason. I can't count how many I've tossed in the trash because Net/link/whatever/sys doesn't want to write new drivers because they would rather sell you a new card every time you upgrade.

Yeah, I had done a little research and there were quite a few places that said just to let it fail install, then manually upgrade to a different version via device manager. But its like it doesn't even see the drivers, but so many have said it works.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/11582-63-linksys-wusb11-windows

So I guess I'll go out and buy a new one. Does Best Buy carry anything good? I have a small gift card to use up. And what about Newegg? I need something inexpensive and will fit PCIe 4x slot. Is USB still okay to use for wireless adapters? If so, I guess I can go that route again.

Well Best Buy didn't seem to have anything even decent. Any suggestions on a good adapter? Is there a big difference between PCI and USB?

Back