Please help, very slow internet connection(wifi)

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Jnk, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Jnk

Jnk [H]Lite

I just bought a laptop yesterday along with a router. The installation of the router was painless and my amd k6-2 desktop was running like usual as if nothing had changed. It was pretty much the same for the laptop but when it comes to opening a web site it doesnt work or it is ridiculously slow to the point where it wont finish loading the page.

What is happening, I am anxious to get this resolved. The communication seems fine between the router and the wireless card. It shows 11mbps and 5.5mbps most of the time but internet is slow or non existant. Please help, thanks

Desktop: Win98 linksys NIC
    Laptop: Emachines m5312 Windows XP 802.11g
    Router: D-link DI-514 802.11b
    Comcast cable w/ motorola sb4100 modem

2. Jnk

Jnk [H]Lite

Update, I went to dslreports.com and did a speed test. It showed download speeds of 42kbps, and uploads of 221kbps. What is going on? Its usually the other way around (download>upload). Please help, thanks

3. Jnk

Jnk [H]Lite

4. Jnk

Jnk [H]Lite

TTT again, please help me im dying here

5. draconius

draconius 2[H]4U

hrm....drivers for laptop card current? can you download netstumbler and run it on the lappy see if the signal you are getting from the WAP is constant?

6. nurv

nurv 2[H]4U

If your router is anything like the 514 I bought for my girlfriend your gunna have 15 bajillion problemes.

7. Jnk

Jnk [H]Lite

Thanks for your replies guys. I got the problem fixed by doing a system restore, IE got messed up somehow. I did another dslreports test and now it looks much better.

Download - 2499 kbps
    Upload - 211 kbps
    Transfer rate - 305 KB/sec