Please help - TPM enabled for W11 slowed down my games on W10 - using an Asus mobo on i7 8700 + 2060S...

oblongpolygon

Weaksauce
So... in preparation for being able to install Windows 11 in the coming months, I enabled TPM on my Asus Z370-I mobo in a SFF machine.

A day later, but still on Windows 10, I played Rocket League, and a few other games, and found them to be awfully laggy - so much so, they became difficult to play.

Initially unsure what it was, I merely guessed that the recent TPM change had caused it - so rebooted, flicked it off in the Asus BIOS, and tried the games again.

Indeed, turning TPM back off fixed the lag - the games played as they normally would!

Have others here experienced this on Windows 10 too? And will this gaming lag / behaviour continue if I installed Windows 11, which requires TPM?

Separately, is this at all a reason not to buy a laptop with Windows 10 installed, because gaming performance will be harmed when TPM is enabled in order to move to Windows 11?

Please help - I am completely stumped. Maybe it's just that I have a somewhat old Intel Socket 1151 8700 CPU which doesn't handle TPM implementation well... and maybe a recent desktop CPU or a 2021 laptop would handle it just fine.

Keen for any advice, or feedback, or insights. Thanks in advance - and can provide more system info if needed.

(And if I really needed to post this thread elsewhere in the forum, please do advise.)

So... in preparation for being able to install Windows 11 in the coming months, I enabled TPM on my Asus Z370-I mobo in a SFF machine.

A day later, but still on Windows 10, I played Rocket League, and a few other games, and found them to be awfully laggy - so much so, they became difficult to play.

Initially unsure what it was, I merely guessed that the recent TPM change had caused it - so rebooted, flicked it off in the Asus BIOS, and tried the games again.

Indeed, turning TPM back off fixed the lag - the games played as they normally would!

Have others here experienced this on Windows 10 too? And will this gaming lag / behaviour continue if I installed Windows 11, which requires TPM?

Separately, is this at all a reason not to buy a laptop with Windows 10 installed, because gaming performance will be harmed when TPM is enabled in order to move to Windows 11?

Please help - I am completely stumped. Maybe it's just that I have a somewhat old Intel Socket 1151 8700 CPU which doesn't handle TPM implementation well... and maybe a recent desktop CPU or a 2021 laptop would handle it just fine.

Keen for any advice, or feedback, or insights. Thanks in advance - and can provide more system info if needed.

(And if I really needed to post this thread elsewhere in the forum, please do advise.)
haven't noticed anything bad from it on my pc...with that being said i would have zero issue with disabling it and using work arounds if they are even necessary for use with win 11

Go back to Windows 10.
Seriously, why be a beta tester if you don't have to.
I think you should maybe re-read the OP.

I haven't noticed this, but, this also isn't the first I've heard of it. So far the one other person that I know that has similar issue is on an old system as well. They're just going to upgrade to a new build when W11 drops as we haven't been able to really find a reason.

I don't really understand this thread. You don't have windows 11 yet, so keep tpm off, problem solved. Enable it when you switch to win11, or better yet use one of the workarounds to install it without the TPM requirement.

Go back to Windows 10.
I never went to Windows 11 - I've always been on Windows 10. Never left.

Seriously, why be a beta tester if you don't have to.
I didn't. I wasn't.

I never said I had upgraded - I think I maybe needed to be explicit about that. Sorry.

I turned on TPM in expectation of needing it on, for when eventually I upgrade, and noticed the hit to gaming performance. More on that below.

I haven't noticed this, but, this also isn't the first I've heard of it. So far the one other person that I know that has similar issue is on an old system as well. They're just going to upgrade to a new build when W11 drops as we haven't been able to really find a reason.
Maybe this performance hit is something that affects older systems, more than newer systems. Maybe it's the 8700 or the socket 1151 mobo, in my case.

I don't really understand this thread. You don't have windows 11 yet, so keep tpm off, problem solved. Enable it when you switch to win11, or better yet use one of the workarounds to install it without the TPM requirement.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Firstly, I didn't realise that I could install W11 without TPM being on. Secondly, I didn't realise W11 would allow me to flick off TPM after installation - I figured, if it doesn't allow you to install W11 without TPM then maybe W11 doesn't even run without it. And as I said, TPM seemed to directly cause a significant hit to gaming performance - so my concern was that leaving it enabled would make my machine suddenly more sucky in a hurry.

With that said, I hope the rationale of my thread is clearer. Not knowing the above two things, the rationale, in my mind, went something like: if TPM has got to be enabled to access W11 and if TPM hobbles gaming performance, then should I / we avoid buying W10 laptops whose OS will eventually be upgraded and maybe suffer that performance hit, and instead hang out for a W11 laptop which has maybe been tuned / optimised with the new OS in mind. I thought: is it maybe best to avoid laptops available today, and prefer laptops released after W11 is out?

Back