Please help this idiot. LSI 9260-16i to Supermicro backplane connection?

bigddybn

Supreme [H]ardness

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 1.56.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 1.56.17 PM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 1.57.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 1.57.31 PM.png
    533.4 KB · Views: 0
You need a single miniSAS cable to basically connect them
https://store.supermicro.com/supermicro-internal-minisas-75cm-cable-cbl-0281l-01.html

If your backplane is of type BPN-SAS2-836EL1 (single expander), the second sas port can be used to cascade the expander to another expander ex another jbod case. You can also use the second port for multipath. You then connect to another port of your raidcard to double transfer rate between controller and expander.

If your backplane is of type BPN-SAS2-836EL2 (dual expander), you can also use the second port for multipath. You then connect to the second port of your raidcard to double transfer rate between controller and expander and disks as the second expander is connected to the second port of sas disks. You can also use the second expander for HA solutions (two server each with a raidadapter connected to same disks).

If you have two paths between computer and storage you need a multipath io aware setup/OS.

So the single 4 lane cable will connect to all 16 bays? The RAID card is going to see all 16 drives?

Oh and the backplane is the EL1. Thanks.

yes
Think of it like a network switch. Alle disks are seen but overall performance is limited to 4 x 6G =24G (around 2 GB/s). A good disk can give around 200 MB/s up from 10 disks this may limit overall performance.

Last edited:
Understood. I'll connect both then. The workload is surveillance video storage so not mega high throughput requirements. Just need a crap ton of storage.

Thanks for the lesson. It's appreciated.

I typically connect 2 SFF-8077 cables between my HBA/Raid controllers and the backplanes. That way I have 8x6G = 48Gbps of bandwidth. I typically run 4U chassis (846), so 24 drives where 24Gbps can become a bottleneck.

But yeah, for surveillance use and just 16 bays, a single cable should be fine.

Back