Please help! Router problem...

RoGuE1230

Limp Gawd
My trusty old Linksys BEFWS114 v3 stopped working this morning. It was working great at 6am, got back on the computer around noon and it wouldn't work through either the hardwired part OR the wireless. With the computer plugged right into the modem it works fine. All the lights on the router light up, but I have tried everything from all different wires, to reflashing the firmware on it (I can access the setup). It just will not let me connect to the internet. My cable internet has always been just plug in and go so there is no need for DHCP settings or anything like that.

Have I tried everything that I can? Is it time to let it go and buy a new one? I've had it running 24/7 since about 2003...

Any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited:
damn that is an old router!

So you can still connect to it from the LAN? does the WAN lights looks normal?

Well I wouldn't say its shot just yet. Does the router get the settings from your ISP ok?

I decided to go ahead and buy something at Walmart because I simply could not wait for something to ship. I bought a Linksys WRT120N. I know its really cheap but I didn't want to go overboard on something I didn't know about. I'm impressed so far with the range of it. I get a full 5 bars when my old router usually got 4 and this is with no antennas.

Now I'm experiencing an issue that I don't get the full speed I should be. The one computer that is connected to the LAN gets 17mbps, but even with a full signal on mine through WLAN I get 5mbps, about the same that I got with my old Wireless B. I have a Ralink B/G PCI adapter in this. What could be the problem?

Also, should I shop around for something better and return this one or should it suffice for gaming and youtube videos?

Back