Please help quick. Must fix permissions on my Win7 machine.

Yoma44

Limp Gawd
PERMISSIONS make me want to DIE!

Alright, I need to get working on this machine right away. I just barely reformatted with Win7 Ultimate, and I partitioned the drive to be C:200GB and D:400GB. I installed on C. I then went to my back up external and started trying to copy things to the D drive. I kept getting random "Access Denied" errors, so I followed this tutorial on my D drive.

Basically, it said to change the ownership of the drive, and then remove all other users from the permissions other than Administrators/MyName.

Now - I can't even access the D drive at all. It says Access Denied over all of it.
-------

P.S. The reason I reformatted was because I was trying to fix the permissions last time and followed tutorials having me edit the registry and stuff - and everything go WAY screwed up.

All I want to do is be able to copy and access my f@#$ing files!
Please help. I've been working on this all day today and yesterday, and I'm almost out of time.

When you changed permissions did you check that box that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" for owner, and, under advanced and the permissions tab, "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" (not sure that second one is necessary but it couldn't hurt)?

I had trouble with this when I had 2 accounts on the system even though I was signed into the account that was the owner. I ended up having to add "everyone" to be able to access everything. I ended up deleting that account (I can't believe the trouble it caused, thanks Logitech... long story) and was able to delete the 'everyone' entry.

yeah, there are permissions, and there are owners. W7 can screw things up with the ownership stuff. My simple solution was to modify apps that write to and move those files to run as administrator, rather than deal with the perms issue. Everything else runs under protected mode so it is a pretty good compromise IMO.

If you kept the same username and password, you wouldn't have run into these issues. I have tried on quite a few occasions to duplicate the "take ownership" issue, and have never been able to do so, unless I altered username or password.

I'm sure there are ways to resolve it by resetting permissions, but if it was me, I'd create a new user account that matched the previous one and be done with it.

Back