please help, new card install not working - 8600gts

WhatTheSchmidt

Limp Gawd
I just received a XFX 8600gts to replace my 7900gs that died a month ago. I have a friend's 7800gtx temporarily. I uninstalled the drivers for the 7800gtx properly, the computer restarted to finish, then I shut it down. I then swapped in the new card, plugged everything in and then booted up. Nothing ever displayed, it did sound that it went right into windows though.

Why is nothing displaying with my new card? what didn't I do?

thanks

just realized I don't have a signature so here is my system setup:

windows xp
e6420
DFI p965-S
2GB G.Skill 800
74gig Raptor
Corsair 520hx

trying to get xfx 512mb 8600gts working...but nothing

Perhaps try safe booting and using Driver Cleaner to make sure the driver remnants are gone? Other than that -- maybe the card is toast.

working now

by looking at the card reviews on newegg I found out that you have to use the pci e power adapter for it to work because it has to have 5v fed to it...so dumb but it's working now

uh isnt that common sense? the 7800gtx needed one, why wouldnt the 8600?

working now

by looking at the card reviews on newegg I found out that you have to use the pci e power adapter for it to work because it has to have 5v fed to it...so dumb but it's working now

When all else fails,. read the instructions?:D

uh isnt that common sense? the 7800gtx needed one, why wouldnt the 8600?

wtf are u talking about jackass? the 7800gtx that I borrowed from my friend worked with the PCIE power cord from the power supply, whereas the new card only works off 2 molex connections going into the adapter

Back