Please help my sister with her monitor connections

busta_cap

Limp Gawd
[note: I am posting this from way out in the country where we're spending Thanksgiving; I have very limited internet connectivity, so please excuse any errors]

My sister's video card (Zotac Geforce 8800GT 512mb) from her old computer crapped out, and I sent her a spare card (Gigabyte Radeon HD 6670 1gb) from an old computer of mine. She wants to connect it to her two old mismatched Dell LCD monitors, both with VGA cables and DVI-A (I believe) adapters.

Trouble is, the 8800 GT has 2 DVI-I ports, and the Radeon HD 6670 has one DVI-D, one HDMI and one VGA (D-Sub, I think). Please let me know what she needs to be able to connect both monitors to this video card, so I can relay the info along to her. We're not going to be back into town until Tuesday, and she doesn't want to wait that long to get her rig up and running again.

She is almost completely clueless when it comes to tech, so I'll need to give her detailed instructions on what to get and what to do with it

Thanks in advance for the help.

Well, if the monitors support dvi, then she would just need one HDMI to DVI connector, like this one http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hdmi-to-dvi-adapter-cable
then she can install her two monitors using dvi

Since her second monitor is DVI-A (analog), and HDMI only supports DVI-D, then unfortunately the adapter you listed won't work.
Her VGA monitor will work fine on the VGA port of the new GPU.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the only way to fix this would be to use a GPU that supports two DVI-I ports (like the original GPU), or one that has VGA and a single DVI-I.

I would recommend a converter box, but even then, after the cost of such a device, it would be cheaper just to get a different GPU which actually has support for those two connections.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not sure about cards as low down as the HD6600 series, but as of the HD6 AMD started removing dual analog out from their cards. I don't believe many (if any) contemporary Radeons can drive two analog displays simultaneously, unless that methodology changed with the R9s.

Back