Please help, mobo won't POST

Lebowsky

Weaksauce
I have an Intel DZ87KLT-75k board. The CPU is an i7 4770 (standard, non k version). The whole system was purchased (separately) in august 2013, but not active before october (motherboard was not available right away)

Since yesterday the board is looping during POST. It starts and then shutdowns immidiately. After a lot of attempts (50?) I am sometimes getting a "BIOS detected unsuccessful POST attempts, this may be due to changes in the performance options or recent hardware changes" messages. I can then either try to enter BIOS or continue. Yesterday I entered the bios, did nothing, exited and then it booted in windows. Today it isn't the case. I was able to enter BIOS once, I tried to reset default values just in case (had to configure RAID on SATA controller back though). After I exited, the POST starting looping again.

Of course I did no hardware change and no change to the performance options either! And I am pretty sure BIOS settings have always been the default ones before as well (except a RAID configuration).

I removed all hardware, that is all drives, pci card, pcie graphics (running from oboard graphics instead). Even the RAM. Without RAM the BIOS was beeping 3 times. Put it back in, same problem. Also removed and put back the CMOS battery.

The LEDs sequence is following: dd26 - dd44 - 0021 - 0003 - 0010 and then restart.

What should I do now? I'm guessing either the board or the CPU is at fault?? How can I know which? If I have to RMA the board and get the same one, am I going to have a chance to reuse all RAID configured drives without any problem?

Is it possible you have a slightly bent cpu finger?

by finger you mean a pin? I don't see any reason, the CPU has been in since the beginning, and the case has stayed stable as well...

how could I find out/diagnose if it is a short?

I just noticed the CPU HOT led turns red before the system shuts down.. I guess I got my answer? What do you think? What would it mean though? Defective CPU? Bad cooling? It's a cooler-master fan.. and the system stayed hours online yesterday after I had the problem for the first time, without any issue...

Did you even look to see what the CPU temp was when you were in BIOS?

Also what about your PSU, have you tried changing that out with another?

Nope, I didn't check, but nothing seemed wrong when I was in the BIOS, that's the thing..

The PSU is a Seasonic X-750. I'll try to find one. Otherwise I guess I'll have to bring the case + mobo + cpu + psu to the shop for a check and rma... :(

Back