Please help me with a simple question regarding my PSU and upcoming 1080ti

**I apologize if this is in the wrong section.**
Hello all, I am currently running a gtx 970 powered by an EVGA 600 watt plus certified (does not appear to be bronze) power supply. The set up runs fine but the power supply is non modular and only has one pcie cable with two 6 pin (+2) connectors. Can this power supply run with the 1080ti I am getting in a few days paired with an i7 9700k? I know it's wattage is high enough, I'm just worried about daisy chaining the pcie connectors to the card. If not, I have a thermaltake 850 watt psu I purchased about six years ago, it is partially modular and I have lost all the cables. Is there a way I can purchase more? This 850 watt power supply was used as my daily driver for six years, the only reason I replaced it is because it was getting old. Thank you all so much.

I'd give it a shot, there's no harm in underpowering a card, you will just get intermittent shutdowns or it simply won't boot. And yes you should be able to get cables either through evga or ebay. Just make sure they are the correct cables or you CAN blow some stuff up!

The fact that both connectors come from the same cable shouldn't matter, as long as we aren't talking about 22-gauge wire and the PSU rail that the PCIe power cable feeds from has enough amps. Generally speaking, the connectors themselves tend to be the weak-spot, not the wire that feeds the connectors. Two connectors spreads the connection over a larger surface area compared to one.

There is nothing wrong with a non-modular PSU. I actually prefer them, because it gets rid of an unnecessary connector on the PSU side (and again, connectors are the weak spot more often than not). Unfortunately the idea of simply tucking away spare cables on a non-modular PSU is sacrilege to the type of people who have embraced the My-Little-Pony rainbow color theme. PSU makers have also embraced modular cables, because as you found out, people lose the spare cables and then end up junking a perfectly good "old" power supply and buying a new one instead.

I been in love with the Corsair CX 650 M that Best Buy carriers .. I found that it has 2 x 12v PCI Express rails and my ref RX 5700 flashed to the XT which pulls about 190watts wants both of those rails to feed it as 2 singles connections.. It's been 100% stable since Aug 2019 like that with no crashing and I would think your 1080 Ti would be around the same power draw . I got it for $59 in 2019 and bought a second one for a RX 580 at $69 and I try to watch for there sale on them .

Last edited:
As long as you don't overclock or go overboard with power hungry peripherals you should be fine.
My 3900X and overclocked 1080ti (pulling nearly 300 watts by itself) along with all my other 7 hard drives, 7 case fans, minor RGB etc. Doesn't pull 600 watts at full load - however you don't want to put your paper supply to it's limit.

I use an EVGA 750 watt GQ.

As long as you don't overclock or go overboard with power hungry peripherals you should be fine.
My 3900X and overclocked 1080ti (pulling nearly 300 watts by itself) along with all my other 7 hard drives, 7 case fans, minor RGB etc. Doesn't pull 600 watts at full load - however you don't want to put your paper supply to it's limit.

I use an EVGA 750 watt GQ.
That is a lot of power and pays Honor to the R9 - 290x

Back