Please help me understand this keyboard/dictionary stupidity...

chockomonkey

[H]F Junkie
So I have been using a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 for the last few months. Prior to this phone, I used a small variety of Windows Phones.

There are good and bad things on both sides of the fence, but there is one disparity between the two that sticks out most to me.

The keyboard and its dictionary and associated word completion logic.

First please help me understand: When I have the keyboard active on this phone, it says it's a "Samsung Keyboard." Is this just the keyboard itself or is this also using a Samsung dictionary and word completion logic?

Second, why the hell does it suck? lol...

Put simply, Microsoft's dictionary and associated logic for completing words is so many leagues ahead of Android or Samsung (not sure who to really blame yet).

I cannot find any settings on how it looks at words, but if I'm typing a word and make a typo... then backspace a couple times to fix it, it stops looking at my string of characters as a single word. Instead it looks at my edit as its own word, and will therefore 'correct' my already corrected word in a really stupid way.

It also doesn't seem to be able to look at a string of characters and correct typos if they occur at the beginning of the string.

It's completely nonsensical!!!

Grr /rant

It's Samsung's TouchWiz keyboard crap for the Note 4 that is to blame.

Try another keyboard on Android.

Yeah, Samsung's keyboard before the S7 was total and complete shit. Try out Chrooma or Google's keyboard. Some will recommend Swiftkey, I personally think it's a steaming pile of shit that will also leak your info (yay!). Fleksy is decent but development is dead, and Swype is nice if you... swipe (As does Google's).

You beautiful, beautiful people!!!!

Thank you so much. So far Google Keyboard is leagues better.

<3!

If you want the very best keyboard for a smartphone, install the BlackBerry one (it's possible, might have to get the APK and do it manually however). The word completion on that thing is practically spooky IMO, using it with my Z10 (and now on my Galaxy S7 Active too) I swear sometimes I think it's reading my mind and will go almost complete sentences ahead of me before I can get them out, but it truly is pretty freaky just how awesome that one is.

The Google one is damned nice as well in that respect (the completion) but it still misses things from time to time. Of course this a personal opinion-style recommendation based on actual usage so, take it as such.

Been enjoying the Google one so far. I can't believe how long I put up with the Samsung pos before asking here lol

If I have to do any modding of my phone, don't really want to. I'll check the store for it though!

I've primarily used Swiftkey for years and have had no issues with it. Not perfect and whatnot but it works much better than the stock one for Samsung, although that is not saying much.

Back