Please, help me locate a part

MahoganySoapbox

Limp Gawd
Thanks for looking.

I'm on my vacation right now, in beautiful Alberta, & when I get back home I want to repair a GPU I have. However with all of my travelling and limited connection I've had no luck sourcing a replacement part. I believe I located the issue as a the part pictured below as L700, with the FCP logo on top.

(Edit) Powercolor R9 390 8gb

Could anyone help me identify the part and point me towards a supplier I could order from?
bJInOpHR09Lff6Vk1

bJInOpHR09Lff6Vk1

Attachments

• IMG_2320.JPG
    IMG_2320.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I cannot tell from that angle, but it looks like an issue with that top capacitor, based on the mess around it. Then again, the FCP part could have spread farther.

Well that is what I am a tiny bit unsure about. The graphics card will boot into windows when used with a hypervisor. Or when used as the second GPU on a machine running Windows natively. However, if it changes out of its lowest power state then either machine will blue screen and crash, or simply reboot.

I thought it was the inductor after noticing that if I apply a bit of pressure on either long side of it I can see a bit of liquid pooled underneath. I can see that the liquid was responding to the pressure applied. So my thought was to remove and replace the inductor and check the capacitor thoroughly when I get home. I had limited time to play with everything before my vacation.

Any clues for either parts?

likely one of those silver capacitors near the coil has leaked; I never heard of a coil (like the type used on your card) having liquid inside - they are sealed with a potting solution (similar but not the same as epoxy). Also, the coil is likely surface mounted; you ever remove a surface mounted part before? Also, if the coil is thru-hole mount, keep in mind there are traces in various layers inside the board ... too much heat from a soldering iron and they can snap or, if the solder removal is not thorough it can pull an inner trace and break it and then that will be that

Last edited:
Upon a zoom in on my PC, I would say that's a capacitor issue.

I cannot see the capacitor information on the card.

I found a handful of 820/2.5v capacitors, even ones listed for video cards. I cannot match that e55m, however. I am not even sure if that's important. I have been doing some research, but I am also watching football lol

Thanks for your help. I'm back in a town for a while, & really appreciate it. I'll look them up when I can.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the e55m is significant, or would it be safe to order a capacitor for my needs based upon what we know?

Seems to be the capacitance. I cannot get the entire thing though. The first letter seems to be uncommon.

820 should be for 820 uF. The part number isn't as important but I would get one rated for the temps. The ones you found for video cards would make sense.

Last edited:
Before doing anything else to the card the first thing I would do is apply liberal amounts of 99% alcohol to the area and give it a very gentle scrubbing with a soft bristle toothbrush. Put the card somewhere warm for a couple days then test it.

Looking at the photos you have provided it appears that something has contaminated the board from the area around that coil and cap all the way down to the bottom of the picture, maybe beyond. Could be electrolyte, maybe something else like urine from a mouse or a lizard (sorry, gross I know but possible). If the video card is mounted vertically I would also check the area around and in the card slot for contamination.

No water cooling on anything?

If you can wait until a "not working for parts" card comes up on Ebay, that might be an option for a part donor.

Not knowing what the liquid is, I agree with the alcohol idea.
Douse it with alcohol, blow it off good with an air compressor, and let it dry for a while.

You could also check with Powercolor and see what the out of warranty price on a repair/exchange is.

Well I will clean up the area surrounding the capacitor when I arrive home. I don't have reason to suspect any animal contamination. I do want to use this as a learning opportunity to become more comfortable with GPU repair.

Well if it has the same values as the original, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just a different shape.

So I take it the cleaning didn't help? Hope the repair goes okay. Good luck!
Nah, a thorough cleaning didn't make it run any better but did help me conclude which capacitor I believe to be the problem.

But I was out when I posted my message earlier and happen to have one more question. After getting home and taking some measurements of the capacitor dimensions I realized the model I linked earlier was larger than what was used on this GPU. Maybe I was just thinking of another board when I was browsing DigiKey but it looks like the right capacitor is https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nichicon/RS80E821MDNASQJT/493-4035-1-ND/2347925, but I have to ask if someone smarter could explain why I can't seem to find a better lifespan than 5000hrs @ 105°C?

Am I fretting over nothing?

Back