Please help me fix; Windows Update Error: 0x80070057 --- Windows 7 32bit

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
So I am currently upgrading a PC I built with a new SSD. I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium (32bit) on it and am going through the process of updating Windows. I get to the point in the updating process that I download and install SP1, which downloads and installs successfully. But after that point the computer only ever runs "Checking for Updates" non-stop.

I used the Windows Update Diagnostic and I got this report. Nothing I can find online seems to help or fix this.

Can you help?

(I am shocked to have this problem, I mean how much can go wrong with a freshly installed modern Windows OS? The first time it did this I even put the Windows DVD back in, clean-installed Windows 7 again fresh and tried from the beginning again. Still the same problem)

i would download a better windows 7 build that already has sp1 updates installed....would sure save a lot of update time

Download SP1 manually and install it, that's easier than re-installing again.

Even then, be prepared to wait a long time for the first round of updates to
download and install. There are over 500 updates since SP1.

It may also help to manually install the latest Windows Update after you install
SP1. Then crank up Windows Update and let the machine analyze all of the
hundreds of updates it needs. It will take a while.

The Windows Update percentage downloaded counter doesn't work well so ignore that.

It may also help to manually install the latest Windows Update after you install
SP1. Then crank up Windows Update and let the machine analyze all of the
hundreds of updates it needs. It will take a while.

How? Which do you mean? I have a bunch of Windows/PC building experience but I guess I am pretty noobish with all this, I have only ever installed Windows, updated it using the updater and been all good.

Okay this makes no sense, I went here; https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 and input my Product Key (from a legit Windows 7 i bought from newegg, on the box it says for US distribution only) but when I input the key code and hit verify, it goes through but then says I need to pick a language and the only option is Korean. WTF?

(Just tried another product key i own for my gaming PC's windows 7 Pro and it only offered Korean or French. How fraking stupid of Microsoft...)

btw is there any particular reason your using 32bit version of windows? just asking cause you know the 64bit is kinda the norm these days....since well i cant even remember how long;)

Last edited:
btw is there any particular reason your using 32bit version of windows? just asking cause you know the 64bit is kinda the norm these days....since well i cant even remember how long;)

The PC had x32bit on it (on the HDD that WIn 7 is on) and so the programs (bunch of ones my parents use) were installed on that. I don't want to deal with any compatibility issues when trying to import backups (emails, music, etc). Also the PC will only ever have at most 4 GB in it so it was a easy decision.

last i checked there appeared to be win 7 x86 iso's with sp1 and updates slip streamed that were labeled as "untouched".....i suppose it could be handy with what your doing. On the other hand you could have just imaged the old win 7 install onto the new ssd but i assume there's some reason you had issues doing this?

You would think MS would have an official already updated win 7 builds for customers, but they dont.:(

How? Which do you mean? I have a bunch of Windows/PC building experience but I guess I am pretty noobish with all this, I have only ever installed Windows, updated it using the updater and been all good.

Get the key/language thing fixed first of course.....

What I meant was that Windows Update itself is a program that can be updated. If you go download the newest Windows Update install package, it can help things go better.

Get the key/language thing fixed first of course.....

What I meant was that Windows Update itself is a program that can be updated. If you go download the newest Windows Update install package, it can help things go better.

How can I fix the "key/language" thing?

Also do you have a link to the new Windows Update program?

I came back to update this after I had the same issue upgrading a friend's laptop today.

New install of Win-7 SP1 sits there all day "Checking for updates".
Tried manually updating the Windows Update Agent and the Windows Update Fixit, no help.

None of my earlier suggested fixes worked. :)

Finally found this update/patch and it worked.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

Download the patch to a USB drive. Reboot the system and pull the network cable
or turn off wireless. You want to avoid letting the machine get stuck in a "Checking for updates"
loop before you can install the patch.

So after the patch, now the laptop found 210 updates in about 3 minutes.
Fixed.

Back