Please help me find alternate solutions for broadband for my dads office!

WakeboardrB

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been spending the past few days trying to figure out a way to get broadband service to my dads office, which unfortunately is out in the boonies. Currently we use MSN dialup there, which would normally be OK except for the fact that the phone cable in the office is older and only supports speeds of like 26k which is rediculous. We need something faster because doing simple things like checking email or sending reports takes about 10 times longer than it should.

Now since it's out in the boonies cable is not available. I checked dslreports.com last night and it said that we were something like 27,000 feet from the local CO station (dsl) and only one company would offer service at that distance and it's not guranteed it would be reliable. The company wants like $129 a month for 384/384 IDSL (I think it's I, might be A). Way too expensive.

Sattelite isn't really an option either, setup fees are way too high.

Can anyone recommend something that I might have luck with? This 26k dialup is killing our productivity. Thanks!

WakeboardrB said:
I've been spending the past few days trying to figure out a way to get broadband service to my dads office, which unfortunately is out in the boonies. Currently we use MSN dialup there, which would normally be OK except for the fact that the phone cable in the office is older and only supports speeds of like 26k which is rediculous. We need something faster because doing simple things like checking email or sending reports takes about 10 times longer than it should.

Now since it's out in the boonies cable is not available. I checked dslreports.com last night and it said that we were something like 27,000 feet from the local CO station (dsl) and only one company would offer service at that distance and it's not guranteed it would be reliable. The company wants like $129 a month for 384/384 IDSL (I think it's I, might be A). Way too expensive.

Sattelite isn't really an option either, setup fees are way too high.

Can anyone recommend something that I might have luck with? This 26k dialup is killing our productivity. Thanks!

Call all the ISP's in your area and see what they can do for you.

What about ISDN (128kb)? It'd be much faster than dial-up, but more expensive too. Assuming you can get digital services, it'd be an option to look at.

Fint said:
What about ISDN (128kb)? It'd be much faster than dial-up, but more expensive too. Assuming you can get digital services, it'd be an option to look at.

For your situation an ISDN line might not be so bad. They aren't as fast, but aren't incredibly expensive like a T1 or something. You can also go with either a 64 kbit or 128 kbit line. Otherwise, unless you want to start spending more for DSL or a T1 I'm not sure what to say.

"Sattelite isn't really an option either, setup fees are way too high."

Well 1, you set it up yourself anyway or 2, don't be so cheap. If you want broadband and cable/dsl are out, and/or you don't have any terrestrial wireless companies locally then satellite is your only option. I've put several of them up. It aint brain surgery. :rolleyes:

WakeboardrB said:
The company wants like $129 a month for 384/384 IDSL (I think it's I, might be A). Way too expensive.

I wouldn't consider $129 expensive for a business connection. Especially in a remote location. Commercial RoadRunner access would cost you $99.00, and a fractional T of any speed will be MUCH more than that. Cost of doing business.

Back