Please help me figure out this 0xa00001 BSOD!

King Icewind

Supreme [H]ardness
I keep getting a 0xa00001 BSOD. I just can't quite to seem to fix it.

It appears to mainly be caused by Hardware Acceleration. It will occur in browsers particularly when watching youtube videos or playing browser games. It will still occur when playing regular games for me though. It seems to be related to AMD drivers as well.

It all started happening when I switched from 5850's to a R9 290. Nothing else in my system changed. Returning to stock speeds on the processor doesn't change anything.

Potential fixes I've found include a new power supply, upgrading from x58 chipset, turning off hardware acceleration in browsers, and switching from R9 290 series.

I don't have any other power supplies to test and I think it's a long stretch of a fix to be worth buying a new PSU. I don't want to upgrade from x58 right now with x99 coming out. I don't quite know what I have to turn off under Chrome://flags for hardware acceleration, but it still occurs in other games anyways. I don't have another card to switch to, and buying a 780 with new Nvidia cards coming out seems silly.

Apparently reinstalling Windows does not fix it, but I think I might try it anyways.

So, I'm not sure where to go next. I'm just wondering if anyone on the [H]ard has fixed it.

Thanks

Last edited:
so what version of the AMD Cat driver are you using? Did you uninstall it before, and then reinstall after swapping cards? Or did you just stick the new card in there?

The latest beta 14.7. It's been present since 14.3. I keep upgrading in hopes it will change, but it hasn't. Yes, I just put installed the card. The 5850s and 290 use the exact same drivers.

Sent you a PM.

TLDR: Check to see if you have an Nvidia NF200 chip on your MB. They don't play well with 290s.

If you don't have that Nvidia NF200 chip on the board, I would uninstall the driver, reboot and install it fresh.

Sent you a PM.

TLDR: Check to see if you have an Nvidia NF200 chip on your MB. They don't play well with 290s.

According to my google-fu, I don't believe my board has the NF200 chip. I guess that's a good thing, or bad.. idk ha.

I'd try resetting your bios, maybe even updating it if there are any updates.

Yes, I have done this quite a bit. It also has been updated to the latest BIOS version.

If you don't have that Nvidia NF200 chip on the board, I would uninstall the driver, reboot and install it fresh.

Yes, I have I tried that with the driver sweeper in safe mode and all. I'll try a fresh windows install just to see what happens.

If you have a spare hard drive, swap it into your system and Install windows fresh on that new hdd to see if it's some kind of software corruption. Buy a power supply and test it out, if it fixes the issue keep it, if not return it. You don't even have to remove the other psu just unplug the old one from the mobo and leave it in your case. Plug the new one into all of your components.

If neither of these fixes the issue, try getting an RMA for your videocard.

So my motherboard has two SATAIII ports that I had my SATAIII SSD plugged into. I unplugged it from that and plugged it in to the regular SATAII and I haven't had the 0xa00001 BSOD since. It's only two days so I hope I'm not speaking too soon. It was a multi time a day occurrence.

Providing this is in fact a fix, am I forever limited from using my SATAIII ports?

Are you using a Sata 3 cable? If not switch cables and try a sata 3 cable. I'm not sure if that is a gimmick but my motherboard came with sata cables and then some black cables labeled for sata 3 specifically. Check and make sure that everything plugged into the sata 3 controller is working and try unplugging other things if any e.g. optical drives etc...

If your hard drive is the only thing plugged in to that sata 3 controller and it's available ports on the mobo and your using a sata 3 cable then it appears there is something going on with the mother board. I know the first intel Cougar point chipsets had a issue where the sata 3 ports would degrde so they released a new revision of the chipset but I don't think that applies to your motherboard.

I've had the same issue for the past two months.

In February I went from a 5979 to a Sapphire 290x Tri-x.
I've done all the usually steps outlined so far in this thread and it still happens to me. I've noticed that it tends to happen most if there is something like a youtube video playing and the computer tries to turn off the display's due to the computer being idle.

I also get a BSoD every now and then when trying to bring the display back from being off due to it being idle or coming back from sleep.

When contacting AMD they couldn't find a reason for the error.

I've kind of just given up and am thinking about trying to RMA the card.

Potential fixes I've found include a new power supply, upgrading from x58 chipset, turning off hardware acceleration in browsers, and switching from R9 290 series.

You're using 290 on a board with x58 chipset - that's the real problem. The only real fix is to decouple X58 and 290. Use a newer motherboard or replace 290 with nVidia card

If you willing to risk, there is a modded ASUS PT1 which removes all power limiters on 290, so the card always works at full power and never fluctuates to lower power state, which is the cause for BSOD.

have to tried clearing the cmos, setting defaults, then redoing all the bios settings? I know you did say you reset the bios...have you tried running it at stock clocks and different bios settings?

have to tried clearing the cmos, setting defaults, then redoing all the bios settings? I know you did say you reset the bios...have you tried running it at stock clocks and different bios settings?

Not going to help.
I had the same issue back in April and tried literally everything. Different memory, different speeds, overlocking, downclocking, different OS, clean install, latest BIOS, full CMOS reset, etc. Nothing helped. The issue is pretty random and very hard to diagnose, but there are certain games that guaranteed to trigger it - Diablo 3 and certains games that never trigger it - BF4.

As I said, the issue is the powertune crap in 290(X) chips. The driver downclocks/downvolts the card too much on low-demanding games, but fails to catch-up when the load spikes. Somehow X58 chipset (or PCI-E bus on those boards) conflicts with the this downclocking/upclocking situation.

Back