Please help me build a system that's compatible with my existing hardware

apim

Weaksauce
Existing Hardware:
GPU: GeForce GTX 980
PSU: EVGA 500W W1 100-W1-0500-KR 80+
SSD: Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSD 500GB
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV272U Vbmiiprx 27" Zero-Frame WQHD 2560 x 1440 Gaming Monitor | AMD FreeSync Premium | Agile-Splendor IPS | Overclock to 170Hz | Up to 0.5ms | 95% DCI-P3 | 1 x Display Port & 2 x HDMI 2.0

Items I need to purchase that need to work with my existing hardware above:
CPU
Motherboard
RAM

Additional Info:
1) Computer use: Gaming
2) Budget: I prefer to stay under $300, but I will go up to $400 if there's a significant performance increase that's worth the extra money.
3) Location: USA
4) I won't be OCing
5) Max monitor resolution: 1x monitor at 2560 x 1440
6) Plan on buying parts ASAP
7) Special features required for mobo: a.) onboard gigabit NIC; b.) an extra PCI-E x1 or better slot in case the onboard NIC is no good and I need to add my own (this slot needs to be at least two slots away from the GPU slot so the GPU doesn't block it); c.) I would prefer the mobo doesn't have bluetooth or wifi, but as long as I can disable those in the BIOS to where they don't emit electromagnetic radiation, then I don't mind.
8) OS: Windows 10 N LTSC

Any help on this is much appreciate. Thank you in advance.

Where will you be buying from? Do you have access to the fs/trade section here? Used gear will be your best option in stretching your budget the furthest.

If you do not need a cpu cooler (or do not mind using the one that came with the CPU) and want to go new, AM4 would be my first reflex, good price-giant flexibility-fully mature:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vysjC6

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.34 @ Amazon)
  • Motherboard: MSI B550 GAMING GEN3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $298.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

If you do not mind to spend a bit more, a 2x16 ram kit can be a good option now a day or a fully silent all the time cooler, but a 5600x is quite easy to cool that maybe the stock one will be ok or what you already have.

This as a
1 x 1 Gb/s (Realtek RTL8111H)
, no wifi or bluetooth and 6 pci slot

Last edited:
For you price range, everything new is compatible. The single limiting factor is your PS and that is only exceeded if you step out of your budget.

If you do not need a cpu cooler (or do not mind using the one that came with the CPU) and want to go new, AM4 would be my first reflex, good price-giant flexibility-fully mature:

• Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($38.99 @ Amazon)

If you do not mind to spend a bit more, a 2x16 ram kit can be a good option now a day or a fully silent all the time cooler, but a 5600x is quite easy to cool that maybe the stock one will be ok or what you already have.

This as a
^^^ this
if you have any issues, look at upgrading the psu, 500w is the bare minimum and its old.

This as a
Thank you all for helping. I opted to move forward with LukeTbk's suggestion above. I went for the 2x16gb of ram option. I'll keep an eye on the PSU and upgrade if I get any weird PSU-type issues.

Back