Please Help: Lots of trouble figuring out how to choose a Standing Desk (need ASAP for chronic issues)

Yes, I did google/YouTube/read Reddit, but couldn't find a good resource to help me figure this out.

I ask for your help, as I am not able to do keep researching- I have some chronic issues, and sitting at the computer strongly exasperates
my neck/spinal symptoms (aches, cracks, neurological). This makes it insanely hard to be productive (ironically, including researching standing desks) [and also keeps me away from any gaming].

For this reason, I desperately need to figure out which desk to purchase, so it can hopefully let me use the computer normally (while I try to fix my issues on a long-term level) .

Please Help With the Following:
  1. Please recommend a standing desk/configuration that's a good fit for my case (my preferences/thoughts for different factors are below).
  2. Educate me on any key factors and/or any other considerations (below).
  3. Probably no DYI (maybe if it's very economical, fast, super easy and gets me a great desk, but otherwise I'm not very handy and get overwhelmed easily over projects).
Key Factors (from my research):
  • Dimensions of desktop: I use a laptop w/an external 24" monitor, wireless mouse, large gaming mousepad, no external keyboard yet. Also a printer (presently on top of desk). Current (regular) desk is about 30x60" - good size for one?
  • Stability: Want something that's not going to wobble when standing, and can lean on when needed. Is wobbling a big issue for upscale desks? I heard of 4 leg desks, but is it necessary?
  • Height range: I'm 5'9 - want to ergonomically stand, having my eyes/head and shoulders/hands in proper position, and to lower to proper sitting height.
  • Motor: I've read that "dual motors" seems to be optimal
  • Return policy/Service: I really hope the desk works for my needs, but in case it doesn't or I need a diff one, I want to be able to have some time to try it and return for free/easy without hassle.
  • Electronics: Want ease/convenience of use (switch to my set optimum standing/sitting w. 1button, arrows to adjust if needed etc.). Something smooth, reliable.
  • Top Material: Heard of wood, laminate - What's the diff. between them all?
  • Accessories: I've seen so many listed - no idea which I need on there:
- Obviously some outlet(s) or some kind of power access.
- Probably some cable management for stuff on desk - want neatness/organization.
- Probably some hole(s) to run wires through.
- Not sure how important keyboard tray is(?)
- Do I need an extra stand for monitor - or can I just extend it on its "neck"?
- Anything else?
  • Weight Capacity: Is this really an issue with a computer desk?
  • Budget: I was hoping to be under $1K, but given its potential to be key in improving life in my case, I can be flexible.
  • Other: Considering eventually getting a small treadmill to put under (maybe in future, if easier to walk than stand), so want a desk that has space there.
I appreciate any guidance!

Honestly I bought one from Amazon years ago for roghly $400. Manual crank with expensive footpad. I liked it, worked just fine for me. Sadly it did not help much tbh, you're much better off trying to reduce your symptoms through exercise and physical therapy. Sorry can't offer much help on one today except to say get yourself an electric one. Mine has 2 feet and is stable during use. I have a 30x60" and it allows me plenty of room for 2-3 monitors and other stuff. Good luck!

I can't offer much feedback as I don't own one, but I've used a friend's standing desk. I will say that gaming while standing up in the best position I could get left me less proficient than when I was sitting down. I couldn't justify spending a grand on a desk that goes up and down for that reason. For office work it was fine, again just not worth spending that much on a desk. Just as an alternative approach have you considered all other seating options like a reclining chair, a couch, or even a bed?

I have a Varidesk or whatever at work, not powered, you raise and lower it yourself and I really like it. Wish it was a few inches taller when fully raised but that could probably be solved pretty easily.

I have an effydesk and so far its great. Goes down to 24" and up to 50" where lots of others only go down to 30" i use 24" for sitting and 38.5 for standing. ( im 5"' 7"). This is less of an issue for tall people but geting proper height for both sitting and standing is key. It has 2 legs and 2 motors and is very stable. There is some under area to hide cables and a pass througj grommet. Has adjustment arrows and 3 pre sets you can save to your desired height

Legs are very stable and solid. The one i bought is 59" wide and 29" deep for tabletop portion. depth is something else to watch out for if you need good distance from your monitor (size depends alot i have a 43" monitor on mine)

20220427_143529.jpg

20220427_143543.jpg

20220427_143630.jpg

Last edited:
In terms of "why does the weight requirements matter" I did have my 43" monitor and my watercooling rig on top at one point and all together it was pushing 100lb on my desk easy. ymmv on your needs for this. I moved my tower mostly to feed it cooler air from ground level not because the desk didn't handle it.

I have an effydesk and so far its great. Goes down to 24" and up to 50" where lots of others only go down to 30" i use 24" for sitting and 38.5 for standing. ( im 5"' 7"). This is less of an issue for tall people but geting proper height for both sitting and standing is key. It has 2 legs and 2 motors and is very stable. There is some under area to hide cables and a pass througj grommet. Has adjustment arrows and 3 pre sets you can save to your desired height

Legs are very stable and solid. The one i bought is 59" wide and 29" deep for tabletop portion. depth is something else to watch out for if you need good distance from your monitor (size depends alot i have a 43" monitor on mine)

For tall people the gotcha is if they go up high enough. I'm 6'2" and not all desks go up high enough for me to use comfortably unless I'm barefoot on the floor or slap a 1-3" riser of some sort to lift the height my keyboard and mouse; or let them upsell me oversized castors to move it around on.

For tall people the gotcha is if they go up high enough. I'm 6'2" and not all desks go up high enough for me to use comfortably unless I'm barefoot on the floor or slap a 1-3" riser of some sort to lift the height my keyboard and mouse; or let them upsell me oversized castors to move it around on.

Agreed this is why i said getting proper height for both sitting and standing is key. Sitting your keyboard should be almost in your lap and standing you should have your keyboard at this height:
cornholio.jpg

Back