Please help, I am having linksys router problems

sanosuke2999

Weaksauce
Hi, thanks for looking at this thread guys.
I have earthlink cable modem as my ISP and when I hook up their router (a Toshiba PCX1100U) directly to my PC, I get a steady connection, but when I hook it up through my linksys router (BEFSR41) I get an unsteady bandwidth flow. For example when I am web surfing pages won't always load I will have to click an the link until I once again gets a steady connection, and the same thing with downloads. The download wil start downloading fine, until is completely stops then like 2 mins. later it will start up again or the download will time out. It is a if I get a steady stream and all of a sudden it stops and starts up again a couple of mins. later. The only thing that I get a steady flow of info with is when I use bittorrent and I will only get it with bittorrent. If I am using it and web surfing at the same time I still get connection time outs while bittorrent is downloading and uploading just fine. This all started about 3 months ago. I just started my machine one day and my router started having these issues. I am open to suggestion as I am stuck. Please help out :rolleyes:
Thanks

Try flashing the firmware to the newest version. Also make sure your WAN is set to DHCP as thats what cable companies will give you is DHCP live IP's.

So was the router acting just fine for 3 months and "poof" it starts having issues? That being the case, try flashing the firmware and if that doesn't work, i'd say the router is trashed.

Thanks I will give it a shot right now. If the router is bad would it just not work or will it work at partial capacity like mine is doing?

Yep, its very possible. I couldn't explain why from a technical standpoint, but it has happend to Linksys routers.

After the firmware flash the router's efficiency has gon e up (now I can acually download!), but it still all of a sudden stops giving me a feed and starts up again. Well I guess my router is busted, that what I get for going ebay! It lasted a good 8 months. Now that I have to get a new one I guess I will go wireless. Thanks a lot for all your help. Does anyone know of a wireless router that is good? I need it to have good encryption capabilities and won't brake down on me after 8 months :D

Back