Please help - fan header on ASUS GPU never spins Noctua PWM fan…

oblongpolygon

Weaksauce
I have an Asus ROG Strix 1050 Ti which has a four-pin fan header.

I’ve correctly connected a tiny little Noctua fan to the header on the GPU, but the fan never really spins up – not even when the two GPU fans are spinning during gaming.

The little Noctua fan only spins for a second when I boot the PC, but never again.

What am I doing wrong?

I’m sure it’s me making a duuumb mistake, not the system - card or fan. This is why I only deserve a 1050 dudes.

Some extra side notes...
  • I’m also sure the little Noctua fan is working, as it spins reliably when connected to the mobo fan header.
  • And I know the fan is being connected to the GPU correctly, because the plug only goes on one way, and the fan spins up very briefly when I boot.
  • If I can get this working with the fan I already own, I'd maybe look to see if I can fit another, bigger fan in there.

I need to install ASUS FanConnect in order for the fan header to spin a fan?

Oh, goodness... that could indeed be it. Thanks so much, if so! I guess... I'll try it when home.

Maybe others will comment / reply, before I'm home, so I have a few options.

Do that or try Afterburner and create a custom fan curve. I added an aftermarket watercooler and fan to my 1080ti, and the fan won't spin under 20% speed from the card.

IMG_20190129_014552.jpg

MSI%20Afterbuner%20Fan%20Profile%20-%20NZXT%20Kraken%20X52.png

Back