Please help a BD encoding n00b...

Brahmzy

Supreme [H]ardness
So my storage is toast - I filled it all up in a matter of days. 3TB Gone. All BD rips from my collection via AnyDVD HD.

Is there a way to encode these into a LOSSLESS format while maintaing the lossless TrueHD/DTS tracks as well? I do not wish to compress anything. Is there anything to encode if I want to maintain lossless content and save space? Or is it alreasy as small as it can be?

I downloaded Handbrake and have been looking at Pavtube, but the lightbulb's not going off.

It's already compressed. If it were uncompressed, the average movie would be over 750GB without the audio. Instead, they're usually less than 1/20 of that. I just re-compress with Handbrake. I like to set a target size of just under 4GB for the file because most media players don't like files above 4GB. I don't notice a decrease in quality and I'm a bit of an A/V snob.

Last edited:
So my storage is toast - I filled it all up in a matter of days. 3TB Gone. All BD rips from my collection via AnyDVD HD.

Is there a way to encode these into a LOSSLESS format while maintaing the lossless TrueHD/DTS tracks as well? I do not wish to compress anything. Is there anything to encode if I want to maintain lossless content and save space? Or is it alreasy as small as it can be?

I downloaded Handbrake and have been looking at Pavtube, but the lightbulb's not going off.

Did you just rip the movies on your hard drive as ISO's? You can save about 50% space by extracting only the movie + audio + forced subs.

Ripped them into folder/file structures. I guess I'm just going to have to experiment with handbrake and see how much compression I (my eyes) can get away with...

Another noob question here. When I have the disc ripped to my hard drive and then try to re-compress with HandBrake I just get an audio track with no video.

I like to set a target size of just under 4GB for the file because most media players don't like files above 4GB. I don't notice a decrease in quality and I'm a bit of an A/V snob.

Oh, you are no snob. Guessing you have a westinghouse tv ?

Ripped them into folder/file structures. I guess I'm just going to have to experiment with handbrake and see how much compression I (my eyes) can get away with...

For a 2 hour movie at 1080p, you don't want to go much lower than 12gb or so.

Another noob question here. When I have the disc ripped to my hard drive and then try to re-compress with HandBrake I just get an audio track with no video.

if you ripped to folder structure, download MakeMKV. make your source the folder\index.bmdv file. Uncheck all but the largest (file size) listed feature, or the largest one with chapters. If you click the down arrow next to that (largest) stream, you can uncheck all of the other unwatned items in that stream (other language audio tracks, subtitles, etc). Then hit GO.

You'll get a concatenated .MKV output file with whatever embedded streams in it that you decided to keep. This will be uncompressed. You should be able to save quite a few GB per disc, this way, and it shouldn't take too long to do, per movie.

If you want to go further, and encode the movie, load up Handbrake and feed it the MKV that you created. Select DTA passthrough on the Audio, and leave the video settings tab alone. Select High profile on the right, and then pick MP4 or MKV as the container for output. 20GB source MKV in most cases gets down around 6-10, depending on the movie.

I just read that TMT5, which i use, won't pass TrueHD or DTS-HD from MKV, is that true?

Oh, you are no snob. Guessing you have a westinghouse tv ?

Close. Pansonic HD projector, 10' screen, light controlled room. Practically the same thing. But most of my rips are of animation for my kids, which tends to be smaller files.

if you ripped to folder structure, download MakeMKV. make your source the folder\index.bmdv file. Uncheck all but the largest (file size) listed feature, or the largest one with chapters. If you click the down arrow next to that (largest) stream, you can uncheck all of the other unwatned items in that stream (other language audio tracks, subtitles, etc). Then hit GO.

This +1

For a 2 hour movie at 1080p, you don't want to go much lower than 12gb or so.

Good rule of thumb.

Ripping a BR is similar to ripping a CD. Sure, you can rip the CD and keep them as wav files to maintain 100% of the quality, but an mp3 is a fraction of the size and the large majority of us enthusists can't tell the difference on anything less than a 10k professional setup. When I re-encode my BR movies, I can shrink a 25GB movie down to 15-18GB with no noticable loss in quality when viewing on a 50" plasma. I even took screenshots for comparisons to try to find the flaws and couldn't find any.

Saving 8GB * 150 movies = roughly 1.2TB of saved space...

Good rule of thumb.

Ripping a BR is similar to ripping a CD. Sure, you can rip the CD and keep them as wav files to maintain 100% of the quality, but an mp3 is a fraction of the size and the large majority of us enthusists can't tell the difference on anything less than a 10k professional setup. When I re-encode my BR movies, I can shrink a 25GB movie down to 15-18GB with no noticable loss in quality when viewing on a 50" plasma. I even took screenshots for comparisons to try to find the flaws and couldn't find any.

Saving 8GB * 150 movies = roughly 1.2TB of saved space...

I have blu-rays with only 17gb movie files on them lol.

I have blu-rays with only 17gb movie files on them lol.

Lol, I was wondering how long it would take before someone pointed out that some BR movie files are only 12-14GB anyway. Yeah, in those cases I might skip the re-encode depending on the movie. Other times, I do it anyway in the event I think there is something I want to cut out. My main goal is to cut out the extras and crap I don't want, not necessarily saving a couple of GB. I hate previews and menus, I just want to watch the movie lol. I've been doing BR ripping for almost 2 years now I think, so my finance and I are used to waiting an extra day to watch the movie.

I use eac3to to extract the original vid and lossless audio then mux to MKV. Playback with mpc-hc/ffdshow and you'll get bitstreaming just fine. Gets rid of all the fluff nobody cares about but takes no CPU time and loses no quality

Lol, I was wondering how long it would take before someone pointed out that some BR movie files are only 12-14GB anyway. Yeah, in those cases I might skip the re-encode depending on the movie. Other times, I do it anyway in the event I think there is something I want to cut out. My main goal is to cut out the extras and crap I don't want, not necessarily saving a couple of GB. I hate previews and menus, I just want to watch the movie lol. I've been doing BR ripping for almost 2 years now I think, so my finance and I are used to waiting an extra day to watch the movie.

Back in the day not having just the movie was ok... but these days there are stupid trailers and loading times for the menu, it's just lame.

I like "click button, play movie" like you do !!

If you're willing to put down the placebo pills... You can save a lot of space by ripping movie only, compressing to AAC audio and packaging to .mkv. Average movie is like 16GB. Another EAC3TO GUI can do this one step.

This is precisely what I do. Out of the 73 BD's I have ripped to my system, they are 19GB average size.

If you're willing to put down the placebo pills... You can save a lot of space by ripping movie only, compressing to AAC audio and packaging to .mkv. Average movie is like 16GB. Another EAC3TO GUI can do this one step.

This is precisely what I do. Out of the 73 BD's I have ripped to my system, they are 19GB average size.
I'll pay for the extra gig (if that) just to have the fancy lights working on my receiver.. come on guys, storage is cheap as hell now! just buy some more for the feel good vibes!

that was covered in my post, as well. oh well

Back