Please for the love of god.....can i go back

Status
Not open for further replies.
The design is atrocious for widescreen monitors, and I'm only on 16:9. I shudder to think about how the site looks on 21:9 monitors.

Smart folks with 21:9 are already splitting it to 2x 10.5:9 for productivity, where the new design poses no great problems at all.

Smart folks with 21:9 are already splitting it to 2x 10.5:9 for productivity, where the new design poses no great problems at all.

smarter people dont use such a shitty aspect ratio as their main monitor. I get it for video editing, publisher, flow charts, audio, but that screen sucks for like everything else. 4K is better. Same wide but way more vertical pixels

smarter people dont use such a shitty aspect ratio as their main monitor. I get it for video editing, publisher, flow charts, audio, but that screen sucks for like everything else. 4K is better. Same wide but way more vertical pixels

I woulda if I coulda. As is, four 1720x1440 viewports have helped greatly with multitasking, and watching the occasional movie with no letterboxing is sure nice.

Ugh, this is a terrible change! Why so much wasted space everywhere? The red bar with the time and post # should be smaller, contrast is poor, font is ugly and hard to read, and all the other issues others have mentioned I don't have to repeat here.

Why is the forum different when viewed on a mobile device? In portrait it changes the layout and wastes space between posts' text and in landscape it wastes horizontal space for user boxes. I liked how content was priority before, not the useless visual fluff we have now.

Step back in usability and a step back in visual appearance. I'll never understand web design decisions. In 9 out of 10 cases a site/forum visual change has been for the worse.

Oh, and the Like button! Really?! I go here to escape the Facebook millennials but it seems one can't outrun the hipsterism.

Hardforum has always been my absolute favorite layout and function out of all the forums I use over the years.. This new setup is okay, I just need to get used to it but one thing that I hope will be addressed is the viewed/new threads like others have mentioned.. Its nearly impossible to see the difference now.. I hope this gets addressed so its more obvious. Other than that it seems to be okay.. just have to learn/get used to it. :)

Oh, and everything is so disjointed. A box within a box within a box. It doesn't flow nice visually. We have the background, then post box, then time box within, another user box split in two, button boxes, pages boxes...

And I miss the reply/quote buttons while logged out. I could go directly from reading to logging in and replying, but now have to do each step individually.

It would also be nice to stay in the same place where you logged out from and not be taken to the default forum page.

Just noticed how much fewer subforums/posts are visible on a single page. Why does everything have to get bigger lately, as if it's optimized for touch interface? Scroll, scroll, scroll... :(

Last edited:
Kyle,

Small suggestion, not sure if it's doable with this forum. It'd be nice to see the page counts/links for each thread all the time, instead of only when hovering over a thread.

For example, I'd like to know (without hovering) that the Quake thread you started in the PC Gaming & Hardware subforum is 7 pages long.

Mockup:

CSS:
Code:
span.itemPageNav {
    visibility: visible !important;
}

I think one thing that would be nice to get rid of / change would be the little chat bubbles beside _every_ thread, would be nice if they only showed beside threads with new messages versus icons that are slightly dim.

Might have been said before, but please make the Report button smaller and off to the right.

I strongly disagree. I'm with izx: for my 29" 2560x1080 monitor, splitting into two 1280x1080 windows has been great for productivity. If there were more vertical pixels, I would have a taller monitor, and that wouldn't fit in my rolltop desk.

I will say that splitting 1920x1080 into two 960x1080 windows (is I do on my new Dell Precision 5510) isn't as great -- for some windows, I end up with horizontal scroll bars, which I don't like.
I'll go with 1920x1080x4 since we are stuck wiht this crap 16:9 stuff. If i only could get a 3840x2400 and have 4 1200P screens on one screen muahahahahhaahh

Also if opera 12 was still support my life would be awesome. I miss old opera. God damn single thread.

My eyes hurt, I can't read the full posts.

This is too weird, I feel like I need glasses or something with this new layout and font.

My eyes hurt, I can't read the full posts.

This is too weird, I feel like I need glasses or something with this new layout and font.
font is really nice but only at high DP. other wise there is so much AA that its blurry as well.

I've already busted out Stylish and tightened it up some.

"Share this page"

Yeah, right. That's gone.

The only problem I have is that it makes me scroll a shitload because the stupid spaces between the posts.

The only thing this does better is that it looks decent on mobile.

Technically, that means you're ignoring us.

But hey, you gotta sleep eventually. Otherwise we eventually meet AngryBearKyle...
like this
be41d3a98ad42957cc2e162ba2a4b10c.jpg

the one thing I'd like to see is a better separation between read and unread threads. I can see the read ones are slightly faded, and possibly un-bolded? But the text is much larger, so either the bold effect on unread ones needs to be increased, or the fade on read ones increased. There's very little discernible difference between them right now.

I dig the rest of it, though!

Kyle,

Small suggestion, not sure if it's doable with this forum. It'd be nice to see the page counts/links for each thread all the time, instead of only when hovering over a thread.

For example, I'd like to know (without hovering) that the Quake thread you started in the PC Gaming & Hardware subforum is 7 pages long.

Mockup:

CSS:
Code:
span.itemPageNav {
    visibility: visible !important;
}

The only problem is, if the forum allows for customizing the number of posts by page, then page count is an illusion.

Interesting. I was wondering if a UI change was coming after seeing the theme on the maintenance page.

Time will tell whether I like it. But I will not get my panties in a wad over it (I mean, really? Is this actually ruining peoples' lives? Doubt it.)

Scratch that, I have one bitchy moany complaint! I liked the red/gray "HardForum" title graphic (as seen on the maintenance page last night) better than the red/gold. Now I shall go cry in the corner and piss myself.

I don't like the new look:(
Would be nice to have an option to opt out from this look.

My favorit forum.

Excuse me, is this the hate train? I need to get to the haterade. I have important hating to do to.

Actually this mostly ok, I'm sure somebody has already brought it up but I'm struggling with identifying quotes. The lines are barely visible.

Nice change, all the other forums I frequent have made the switch to Xenforo, so I'm already pretty comfortable with it. Now I can finally smother Megalith with 'Likes'.

We've talked about having "likes" or other positive reinforcement on the forums in the past but was turned down for various reasons. I'm glad the position on that has changed. Thank you.

I'll definitely give the new forum a chance. I don't want to be that old fart that refuses to move off XP.

Ol' Bennett must be getting soft for allowing 'likes' and 'trophies'. Next thing he'll be doing is allowing our 'Avatars' to be displayed in messages too, the big carebear.

Oh the typical shortsightedness of the crowd when change happens.

HF ran on vastly unsupported, old code. The transition to Xenforo as new platform was the next natural step to take, stagnation is bad, kids. I know change is scary, but I promise you'll all get used to the new look, so for the love of everything that's decent, quit your bitching.

Ol' Bennett must be getting soft for allowing 'likes' and 'trophies'. Next thing he'll be doing is allowing our 'Avatars' to be displayed in messages too, the big carebear.

Who knows.... Maybe something sensible like HTTPS or SSL on a forum by and for techies could happen next. :)

Oh the typical shortsightedness of the crowd when change happens.

HF ran on vastly unsupported, old code. The transition to Xenforo as new platform was the next natural step to take, stagnation is bad, kids. I know change is scary, but I promise you'll all get used to the new look, so for the love of everything that's decent, quit your bitching.
change isnt the issue its changing something to something that isn't functional. Thats the same logical fallacy that they used about Win8. Fuck that POS trash. My disdain for 8 is large.

change isnt the issue its changing something to something that isn't functional. Thats the same logical fallacy that they used about Win8. Fuck that POS trash.

Maybe you just need to...you know...get on with life and learn to deal with it? You're one of only 2 people on the board that call this "not functional".

Maybe you just need to...you know...get on with life and learn to deal with it? You're one of only 2 people on the board that call this "not functional".
hardly many people have already posted saying the design lacks basic understanding of UI design.

There will always be growing pains when switching from one forum software to another. I dont know how much Kyle or the staff know about Xenforo but it takes time to learn the backend of any software. Once they do, the forum will be easier to change, manage, and admin for Kyle and the staff. Also Xenforo has an absolute metric butt ton of addons that can give the forum uniqueness and many features.

hardly many people have already posted saying the design lacks basic understanding of UI design.

The problems this forum software has, vB (and all other forums) had as well and many more. It needs some tweaking here and there, but calling it "unusable" makes you sound like frigging Chicken Little.

For Day 0 of a complete redo of a major forum...this is as bugfree and feature-full as they ever get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back