Please Don't Use USPS, They Are Now Throwing Out Packages

I'm currently having an issue with Newegg, who is basically telling me to wait another week, after ordering two weeks ago(12/21). The shipping hasn't been updated, either by UPS, or USPS, whom it was handed off to by UPS, since 12/23. I held no illusions that I would get the items in question on 12/26, like they stated. But being told to wait another week is not a viable solution to the problem. There can't be that large of a backlog left.

I hope shit is getting back to normal...would like to order some stuff and sometimes it ships best method of not having a choice.
Hopefully sometime shortly after January 20th we will know the answer to this.

And to think, so many believed toilet paper and hand sanitizer would be the biggest problems of the pandemic.

I've been having a lot of issues with USPS over the last year or so, and it keeps getting worse. A few transactions I've had with people on here have been delayed or ran into issues, and now I ordered an SSD on NewEgg, who shipped it UPS but then was handed off to USPS for final delivery. Look at this tracking.
It sucks UPS and FedEx don't have anything like first class mail for small items, but I don't care I am not going to ship with USPS anymore.
UPS has SurePost and FexEx has SmartPost....both USPS and the UPS/Fedex guys are doing the last-mile delivery for hundreds/thousands of small packages from other logistic networks each day...its kinda funny but also really awesome.

it's not over yet..
You're right. We should setup a betting pool (no money, just for fun, of course) for the next hot item for panic shoppers.

Feminine hygiene products have to make it to the top at some point, right?!

Tadaaa, my lost package showed up today haha. Only a month late. Ive already received the refund but it was ordered thru Amazon so they'll just bill me again. Frigggin post office should pay me for all of the aggravation!

everyone! USPS is in a state of crises.
covid 19 has whipped out stock and closed stores.
The place is over run with packages worse than the 1997 UPS stick!
Postmaster failed to hie holiday help.
There was no planning at all.
The nation ran out of over road trailers even to rent.
I lived though it! OSHA would have a heart attack if they seen the mess.

Hold out faith all, i only hope the covid vaccine will help fix some of this

My buddy had an extra CPU I wanted, so I bought a label and e-mailed it to him. It has to travel ~90 miles from Philly to my house. It's been 2 weeks and the package is stuck in Kansas.

I mean at some point you have to blame incompetence.

My buddy had an extra CPU I wanted, so I bought a label and e-mailed it to him. It has to travel ~90 miles from Philly to my house. It's been 2 weeks and the package is stuck in Kansas.

I mean at some point you have to blame incompetence.
This isn't incompetence, so much as standard practice. I worked at the UPS CACH facility in Hodgkins, Ill., and we would get stuff that would come from Reno, NV. for instance, going to Las Vegas, NV., and it would come to Chicago, get sorted, and sent back. There is no way it is more efficient to send it across the country, either from a time, monetary, or otherwise standpoint, but it's how they do it.

Just wondering, those of you who are having difficulties, which part of the country are you in? I'm wondering if it is regional.

I'm in Houston and really have had no issue with the USPS either shipping or receiving - outside of one missed scheduled home pickup.

I'm not saying there's other factors like this that are in play. What I am saying is that sending a first class letter across the country took 3-4 days tops and sending a USPS Priority parcel hardly ever took longer than 3 days to be delivered up until this past year. For them to say multiple WEEKS is normal delivery time is utter bullshit. Something systematically changed how the USPS works within this past year, and there's only one real explanation for it.
He went at it like a business man on a hostile takeover, and acted in ways he though would fix a problem that he didn't understand and didn't take the time to really look at.
Just wondering, those of you who are having difficulties, which part of the country are you in? I'm wondering if it is regional.

I'm in Houston and really have had no issue with the USPS either shipping or receiving - outside of one missed scheduled home pickup.
I'm in Florida, and I am waiting on stuff from Newegg in NJ. Going on 3 weeks.

This isn't incompetence, so much as standard practice. I worked at the UPS CACH facility in Hodgkins, Ill., and we would get stuff that would come from Reno, NV. for instance, going to Las Vegas, NV., and it would come to Chicago, get sorted, and sent back. There is no way it is more efficient to send it across the country, either from a time, monetary, or otherwise standpoint, but it's how they do it.
FedEx is supposed to be this model of efficiency, but they aren't any better.

I have a package coming from New Jersey to Knoxville, TN. It was shipped from NJ on Sunday 1/3 at 1:42pm, and arrived in Morristown, TN (30 minutes from my house) on Tuesday 1/5 at 11:16pm. Pretty good so far--I'm thinking "I should get this on Wednesday." Nope--It then went to Memphis, TN (6 hours across the state)--arriving there on Wednesday 1/6 at 10:17am. It then went to Southaven, MS, arriving on 1/6 at 3:42pm. It left Southaven, MS at 6:44pm on 1/6. No further updates yet.

I'm no efficiency expert, but I fail to see how this is the way to do things.

I'm in Seattle area, and aside from some issues with the actual letter carrier that services my area,* everything has been moving either on time or faster. I'm probably going to receive a package sent Monday from Colorado today, two days early. It's marked "out for delivery," but see below.

*He's lazy and breaks several basic rules. He can make any package fit in or ON the mailbox so he doesn't have to go up the driveway. If a signature is required, he'll sign it/say we signed it at the door and cram it in the box, or leave the "not home" card in the mailbox if he can't, which is before the driveway. The previous carrier lady was super nice, always a smile and a wave, helped us out when we had to replace the mailbox row after it was taken out by a car, always went right to the door with any package, and noted how easy our route is to do.

Ontrac, on the other hand, can eat shit with a rusty spork. They treat residential deliveries like homes are a place of business. M-F 9-5 delivery. Oh, you're not home? Well, we can hold it at our center two counties away and you can come get it tomorrow, M-F 9-5 or we'll send it back.

FedEx is supposed to be this model of efficiency, but they aren't any better.

I have a package coming from New Jersey to Knoxville, TN. It was shipped from NJ on Sunday 1/3 at 1:42pm, and arrived in Morristown, TN (30 minutes from my house) on Tuesday 1/5 at 11:16pm. Pretty good so far--I'm thinking "I should get this on Wednesday." Nope--It then went to Memphis, TN (6 hours across the state)--arriving there on Wednesday 1/6 at 10:17am. It then went to Southaven, MS, arriving on 1/6 at 3:42pm. It left Southaven, MS at 6:44pm on 1/6. No further updates yet.

I'm no efficiency expert, but I fail to see how this is the way to do things.

I have a friend whose wife worked in logistics for UPS, so I'd assume the following applies to FedEx as well. Packages are prioritized based on shipping method/speed - we all know this much - but this also involves ensuring your ground shipment doesn't consistently arrive too soon, lest you be less inclined to pay for a faster method. This may include bouncing a package around for an extra day or three.

Disclosure: This is second-hand information in reference to UPS. It may not apply to FedEx, or it could be complete BS altogether. You decide.

I have a friend whose wife worked in logistics for UPS, so I'd assume the following applies to FedEx as well. Packages are prioritized based on shipping method/speed - we all know this much - but this also involves ensuring your ground shipment doesn't consistently arrive too soon, lest you be less inclined to pay for a faster method. This may include bouncing a package around for an extra day or three.

Disclosure: This is second-hand information in reference to UPS. It may not apply to FedEx, or it could be complete BS altogether. You decide.
Makes perfect sense.

The two packages I gave physically to an employee at the post office on Dec 9 that weren't scanned still haven't shown up in the tracking system. My guess is they're sitting in a pile somewhere and they'll show up at their destinations eventually, but I've already sent one refund and the second one, the buyer said he would wait until the last day that ebay would allow it to open a case, which was nice of him. But I expect I'll be sending that refund in a couple days here anyways.

I have had some things show up recently 3-4 weeks after postmarked. So as everyone else has said, I'll bet these things just keep trickling through and show up well into February.

The two packages I gave physically to an employee at the post office on Dec 9 that weren't scanned still haven't shown up in the tracking system. My guess is they're sitting in a pile somewhere and they'll show up at their destinations eventually, but I've already sent one refund and the second one, the buyer said he would wait until the last day that ebay would allow it to open a case, which was nice of him. But I expect I'll be sending that refund in a couple days here anyways.

I have had some things show up recently 3-4 weeks after postmarked. So as everyone else has said, I'll bet these things just keep trickling through and show up well into February.
Did you not have the employee scan them and hand you a drop-off receipt? I always make sure to get proof of shipment before leaving the PO.

I bet you meant they show dropped off but haven't moved since.

I ordered from Prime on Thursday. Got it on Saturday like normal 2 day delivery via local USPS. Amazon must be bypassing a lot of the backed up hubs or maybe things are getting back to normal?

I ordered from Prime on Thursday. Got it on Saturday like normal 2 day delivery via local USPS. Amazon must be bypassing a lot of the backed up hubs or maybe things are getting back to normal?
sometimes amazon will drop off packages at the local PO for final delivery, thus bypassing USPS sort facilities like you said. But in terms of normal operations, I think most things shipped are now arriving as scheduled, because they run along side the queue of late packages, not behind it.

Amazon has been doing their own delivery for Prime packages. Only rarely will it come via another means and usually through a 3rd party.

Amazon has been doing their own delivery for Prime packages. Only rarely will it come via another means and usually through a 3rd party.
not always, it depends how rooted amazon is in your surrounding city.

not always, it depends how rooted amazon is in your surrounding city.

Well, in MY case then, Amazon has been doing their own delivery. I'm not even in a big urban area or anything. There's an amazon warehouse a couple miles from my house though. Might have something to do with it.

Well, in MY case then, Amazon has been doing their own delivery. I'm not even in a big urban area or anything. There's an amazon warehouse a couple miles from my house though. Might have something to do with it.
Mine mostly come via USPS last mile. Bigger items via some other shipper.
Amazon has a hub 10 minutes away from here, their sprinter vans are everywhere now since covid. They also have the bigger 'ups sized' delivery trucks. I was able to pick something up at a hub yesterday instead of having it shipped to my house, so I got it in 1 day instead of two. Not a bad option for 20 minutes of driving.

Amazon has a hub 10 minutes away from here, their sprinter vans are everywhere now since covid. They also have the bigger 'ups sized' delivery trucks. I was able to pick something up at a hub yesterday instead of having it shipped to my house, so I got it in 1 day instead of two. Not a bad option for 20 minutes of driving.

XX2iLmy.gif

Last edited:
Did you not have the employee scan them and hand you a drop-off receipt? I always make sure to get proof of shipment before leaving the PO.

I bet you meant they show dropped off but haven't moved since.

In fact I meant exactly what I said. I posted earlier in the thread - I went to the post office and it was one of those “line wraps around itself” kind of situations. One of the counters had an employee just taking packages that already had postage on them, so I made the decision to just drop them off instead of waiting in line for an hour while all the unprepared customers in front of me asked for help packing their stuff and debated between shipping speeds.

You just drop the packages and go. occasionally they miss scanning packages when they do this, and it hasn’t been a problem for me in the past (they just show up in the system when they get scanned at their first transit point) but on that day the two packages I dropped off were not scanned, and now they’re sitting in a pile somewhere and usps tracking shows they’ve yet to receive them from me.

earlier in the thread when I posted I said - just get a receipt. I decided not to this time and it definitely bit me in the ass. I expect they’ll show up at their destinations in another few weeks, but I’m out $200 because I didn’t feel like waiting in line.

In fact I meant exactly what I said. I posted earlier in the thread - I went to the post office and it was one of those “line wraps around itself” kind of situations. One of the counters had an employee just taking packages that already had postage on them, so I made the decision to just drop them off instead of waiting in line for an hour while all the unprepared customers in front of me asked for help packing their stuff and debated between shipping speeds.

You just drop the packages and go. occasionally they miss scanning packages when they do this, and it hasn’t been a problem for me in the past (they just show up in the system when they get scanned at their first transit point) but on that day the two packages I dropped off were not scanned, and now they’re sitting in a pile somewhere and usps tracking shows they’ve yet to receive them from me.

earlier in the thread when I posted I said - just get a receipt. I decided not to this time and it definitely bit me in the ass. I expect they’ll show up at their destinations in another few weeks, but I’m out $200 because I didn’t feel like waiting in line.
Gotcha. Sucks for you that the PO can't be depended on to do their job properly. Good luck.

Just got this desk from newegg shipped via FedEx. Shoe prints all over it and one where they broke through it.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210110_143059.jpg
    MVIMG_20210110_143059.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 0
*He's lazy and breaks several basic rules. He can make any package fit in or ON the mailbox so he doesn't have to go up the driveway. If a signature is required, he'll sign it/say we signed it at the door and cram it in the box, or leave the "not home" card in the mailbox if he can't, which is before the driveway. The previous carrier lady was super nice, always a smile and a wave, helped us out when we had to replace the mailbox row after it was taken out by a car, always went right to the door with any package, and noted how easy our route is to do.
Sounds like your carrier is related to mine. Our postmaster knows my wife and I personally because we spend so much time in his office filling out forms due to lost/damaged mail and general bullshit.

Sounds like your carrier is related to mine. Our postmaster knows my wife and I personally because we spend so much time in his office filling out forms due to lost/damaged mail and general bullshit.
Fortunately I haven't had to go that far, yet. I know the neighbors have put their complaints in, but at least for me, despite the shenanigans from this guy, everything was at least delivered somehow and intact. It's a long ways to the only post office, and I haven't had enough care to stand in line, yet. I did have a fair freakout when I purchased my S20 off the forum and I saw it was listed as signed for at the door and delivered while I was still at work. It was in the mailbox, and the signature was just a squiggle.

For giggles, I have two USPS packages coming priority from SoCal. A MB/CPU from the forum, and the RAM and SSD to run it from Newegg. We'll see which comes first and where on my property it ends up...

We’ve had so much mangled mail that if they catch it via sorting at the local branch, the postmaster brings it personally. We’ve had so many damaged mail items it’s absurd. Boxes too large for the mailbox left on or under it in the rain. Pictures crammed in smashed to bits, you name it.

We’ve had so much mangled mail that if they catch it via sorting at the local branch, the postmaster brings it personally. We’ve had so many damaged mail items it’s absurd. Boxes too large for the mailbox left on or under it in the rain. Pictures crammed in smashed to bits, you name it.
Leslie Jones stare in horror.gif

We document our mail delivery almost daily. I take pictures of the mailbox and report back to him often. It's sad honestly.

Back