Please Don't Use USPS, They Are Now Throwing Out Packages

that's fine. I've had packages missing for a week in december in years passed, that is my experience. We can differ.

Oh FFS...

USPS admits it is overwhelmed​

So why is a package sent by two-day priority mail still not delivered nearly two weeks later – and where is the backup?

When 13News first contacted the U.S. Postal Service last week, a spokeswoman said "The Postal Service is not commenting on local situations."

She did, however, send a USPS statement that said "The Postal Service has experienced a considerable increase in package volume…We apologize for the inconvenience of late arriving packages and are working to minimize the impact to our customers."

A few days later, the U.S. Postal Service issued a much more sweeping warning on its website. That alert says "USPS is experiencing unprecedented volume increases and limited employee availability due to the impacts of COVID-19."

On Wednesday, 13News spoke with two supervisors at local post offices who provided much greater insight about what's happening behind the scenes.

13News is not identifying the workers because they are not authorized to speak to the media. But their information provides USPS customers a much clearer picture of the challenges that post office workers are facing and the reasons their packages are not being delivered on time

The package I sent a buyer here on the forums was finally delivered on Monday. Sent from KS to OH on the 30th of November and finally delivered on the 14th. It was sent via USPS "Priority Mail". The same buyer (thanks!) bought another item from me and I sent it via UPS ground on Monday and it arrived yesterday.

Kwincy cy Yeah, I’ve started paying the extra few bucks (on average) for ups ground vs sending priority mail right now.

it’s a “slower” method but it seems to be getting there quicker anyways.

One thing I would highly recommend to anyone selling who does use USPS: get. A. Receipt.

If you have printed your own labels and are just dropping off, they HAVE to scan the package to give you a receipt. Sometimes there is a long line and they’re like “is anyone just dropping off packages?”

If you’re just dropping off, get the receipt. Don’t just leave the packages and go. It takes extra time, but if they forget to scan something and then it goes off to a busy distribution center that night, it could be days (or weeks) before it reaches the next “checkpoint” and gets scanned into their system.

that’s enough time for a buyer to get antsy, and in the case of a platform like eBay possibly file a “not received by x date” claim. With no record of the package actually being dropped off, you won’t have any way to prove you actually shipped, and you’re unlikely to get your stuff back from usps too.

Tell you one thing, this pandemic has really caused Amazon not able to deliver packages in 2 days any longer. It's now anywhere between 2-5 days. Sometimes longer.

I ordered 2 mice from Amazon. 1 was due to arrive 23 December, the other...26 December.

I spent at least an hour looking at the different sellers and arrival dates in order to select ones which would arrive when I am home to receive the packages.

The one due to arrive 23 December was delivered 10 minutes ago while I am at work. I'm 199% certain porch pirates will take it before I could drive home to get it so I'm not even gonna try. I'm just going to initiate a chargeback for it and refuse the other one because I'm fucking DONE with Amazon.

You simply can't make this up. 5 days to get back to exactly where it was 5 days ago.

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 12.00.06 AM.png

Here is the 5800X that I thought was going to end up lost from AntONLINE

1608354424883.png

I have a limited edition Glock slide coming. Said to be delivered today, but now the status says, late but coming.
Couldn't choose the shipping company but I really hope it's delivered, even if it's weeks from now. Some things can't be replaced.

USPS is certainly surprising me with how things are going this holiday season. I think this bluray set I bought is just in a big holding warehouse until the holidays are over (media mail, so deprioritization expected).
1608407212555.png

Well the package I sent on the 4th was delivered today finally. Hopefully the one I sent on the 7th shows up soon as well.

15 days for "priority mail."

my dad shipped mangos to his sister with usps a few months ago. when she got the package it was filled with tupperware or something. no mangos. pretty hilarious. usps ended up giving him $50 cause it was priority. also the package arrived like a week late.

Well my package did not arrive yesterday, big surprise. But at least it is now at my local post office now if you believe the tracking details. 14 days for Priority mail isn't too bad...:cautious:

Jinxed FedEx. Well mainly CA. My package is now going on 7 days late "in transit" to the city. I can't do anything about it. Luckily the receiver does not care since he's used to it. He told me it's normal to get packages 10-15 days late...

That could be normal for a large USPS hub during holidays since there is no context to compare the pics too?

BTW just got my Priority mail package today. 14 days, guess it could be worse like some in here. :cautious:

Last edited:
its probably really bad this year since a lot of people aren't going anywhere so they have to ship everything. Normally we just hand deliver stuff when we go home to family but this year we had to ship everything. Everything has taken WAY longer to get anywhere. Most packages we sent for the holidays have been somewhere for 3+ weeks. They are finally starting to arrive at the destinations.

At least they gave you the courtesy of a heads up. I think a lot less people would be complaining if the USPS was always so forthright.
You give people too much credit. They have a big red banner on their website : ALERT: USPS IS EXPERIENCING UNPRECEDENTED VOLUME INCREASES AND LIMITED EMPLOYEE AVAILABILITY DUE TO THE IMPACTS OF COVID-19. WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE AND REMAIN COMMITTED TO DELIVERING THE HOLIDAYS TO YOU.

It's a complete fuster cluck right now. I'm reluctant to ship anything in the state that things are in right now.

its probably really bad this year since a lot of people aren't going anywhere so they have to ship everything.
And yet I am having no trouble getting packages delivered early through UPS. I'm guessing it's because UPS (and Amazon as well) can hire temps, while USPS has to go through a a lot more red tape to add people to the roster.

I ordered a package in late October via USPS and it's still not here. I hate them so much.

Last edited:
You give people too much credit. They have a big red banner on their website : ALERT: USPS IS EXPERIENCING UNPRECEDENTED VOLUME INCREASES AND LIMITED EMPLOYEE AVAILABILITY DUE TO THE IMPACTS OF COVID-19. WE APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE AND REMAIN COMMITTED TO DELIVERING THE HOLIDAYS TO YOU.
Yeah, that wasn't there weeks ago when most of the posters in thread were shipping items out. They didn't bother posting anything until their failures started being confirmed by larger news networks. I promise you I would have chosen differently if that banner had been there. It wasn't.

They were still gladly taking my money and promising 2-3 day delivery.

Yeah, that wasn't there weeks ago when most of the posters in thread were shipping items out. They didn't bother posting anything until their failures started being confirmed by larger news networks. I promise you I would have chosen differently if that banner had been there. It wasn't.

They haven't had 2-3 delivery for months as far as I know. After the PM general stuff came out they slowed priority mail estimates from 1-3 days to 2-5.

Is someone here blaming everybody that uses them for not knowing better because of a fucking banner on their website? :confused: FFS a lot of retailers/shippers have their own tracking systems that just pull info from the USPS so customers never see that banner...like wtf

First world problems!

I'm just happy when any store has stock and isn't price gouging.
I've switched to using box stores. I have items that were supposed to arrive on the 9th that haven't showed up yet. I'm responsible for the mail at my building so I go there twice a day; we're on a first name basis with the post office. They're backed up 5+ days. They legit have PILES of boxes and deliveries. Its all piled up on the floor. They had about six people employed there, now its down to two or three. Deliveries are made in a 2 door Wrangler. Its a massive cluster they have going on there.

The entire system needs a rebuild. Someone like Elon Musk needs to come in there, buy it out, and redo it. Buy like a million trucks, rebuild the buildings, and nail down a new system.

Is someone here blaming everybody that uses them for not knowing better because of a fucking banner on their website? :confused: FFS a lot of retailers/shippers have their own tracking systems that just pull info from the USPS so customers never see that banner...like wtf
I think we agree? When I say "they didn't bother posting anything" I mean the USPS, not the posters in this thread. USPS knew everything was going to shit long before the banner went up.

I think we agree? When I say "they didn't bother posting anything" I mean the USPS, not the posters in this thread. USPS knew everything was going to shit long before the banner went up.

Mybad sorry for confusion. Yup we agree. 😁

The second package finally showed up. 16 days.
I'm expecting to be in the same boat. A package headed my way was in USPS possession on the 10th, was in the state next to mine on the 14th, and no updates since other than the generic arriving late update that they add when it isn't delivered on the ETA.

Status update: my media mail was released from lockdown. IL to IA in 16 days. Hopefully it picks up the pace to make it out to WA.

1608918971733.png

I absolutely know it's no fault of the seller and am not angry about a media mail package being deprioritized. I've just never experienced a USPS slowdown like this before.

SUNDAY DELIVERY HAPPENED ON 12/27. Everything worked out.

Last edited:
Status update: my media mail was released from lockdown. IL to IA in 16 days. Hopefully it picks up the pace to make it out to WA.

View attachment 312652
I absolutely know it's no fault of the seller and am not angry about a media mail package being deprioritized. I've just never experienced a USPS slowdown like this before.
Media mail yikes! I feel for ya...:D

It's Opa Locka, What do you expect? It's one of the worst distribution centers in USPS.
Opa Locka is probably run by the Ooompa loompas although they can probably get stuff done faster then the USPS these days!
I am too getign sick of (Thankfully not sick from) the COVID bullshit excuse.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
Back