Please critique my parts list

That's_Corporate

[H]ard|Gawd
CPU Block: Heatkiller Rev. 3.0 775 LT (Q6600)
Mounting kit too?
GPU Block: XSPC Razor 4870X2 or Swiftech Caldera 4870X2
Says "for reference design", I have a Sapphire. Problem?
Radiator: XSPC RX480 or RX360
Suggestions on which?
Pump: XSPC Dual Acrylic Top for Laing DDC + two Laing DDC pumps
Where can I get the laing DDC pumps from?
Reservoir: XSPC Single Bay Reservoir
...or should I get the XSPC dual bay res that includes the pump?
Fans (1400RPM target): Scythe GentleTyphoon 120mm 50CFM
...or perhaps get some variable ones + a fan controller?
Fittings and tubing: No clue... Help?

This will be going into a P180, and I'll probably mount the rad on the top.

Money isn't really an issue, so please feel free to suggest better performing (and I assume, more expensive) parts.

Last edited:
I recently mounted the same cpu block to an i7920... unless you're out for a really exceptional oc you probably don't need the 480 radiator, I'd go with the 360. I am running my cpu @ 3.9GHz and cooling a 280gtx running at 285 speeds, getting ~43C idle and ~60C load. I did not buy the backplate and didn't see much flexing on an asus p6t v2.

I also installed a single bay reservoir (a bitspower unit), it will be the last one I ever own. There is not enough vertical separation to keep from sucking bubbles back into the tubing headed to the pump, I've ended up placing the res at an angle to create the vertical needed. I would highly recommend any dual bay res over any single bay res.

My take on fittings & tubing: Plastic fittings are garbage, get metal. Smaller diameter tubing increases friction losses, 1/2" all the way.

Why suddenly decide to spend a bunch on a last-generation system?

The HK rev3 makes some sense because you can switch to s1366 or s1156 mounting (I assume), but that 4870x2 caldera block doesn't make much sense to me unless you can swap that to a 5970.

I'd keep components like that (outdated) aircooled.

A radiator is a universal investment, and 2 x 360's would work well for a CPU/GPU loop, or a 480.

Anyway... Just my thoughts

Hmm I was thinking of buying the same CPU block and one of those GPU blocks as I also have a Q6600 and 4870x2.

I think I might just get the Heat Killer and keep air cooling the 4870x2 as I am thinking a better video card will become cheaper and possibly utilize a cheaper GPU block (maybe not). But also i think the 4870x2 should be able to last me a while since it is so beefy.

But spending alot on WC parts that may not xlate over to my next build concerns me since they are pricey.

Let us know what you do and post pics!

I'm also skeptical about buying part-specific WC blocks for last-gen vid cards unless you can get one used. If you can score a used 4870X2 waterblock from someone that has already upgraded then by all means, go for it.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I plan to upgrade my CPU whenever they release the Thuban x6 and get my feet wet with WCing. It's supposed to be a 140W part so the extra cooling should be well-utilized. Whenever I am ready for a GPU upgrade I will go WC all the way, but I'm not going to WC my 4890s unless I can pick up used blocks for well under new price.

Back