Pleas be true: Dreamcast 2 in the works?

Tetrahedron

[H]ard|Gawd
I hope this is true, but I highly doubt it is

http://www.videogamer.com/news/06-12-2007-7049.html
Trademark application sparks excitement over SEGA re-entry into console market.

SEGA Corporation has filed a new application to protect the trademark Dreamcast - sparking rumours that the Japanese publisher is planning on making a shock return to the console manufacturing market with the Dreamcast 2.

The application, sent to the United States Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Applications and Registrations Retrieval (TARR) dated August 13 2007, relates to:

"Home video game machines; player-operated electronic controllers for electronic video game machines; video game interactive controller, namely, hand held pads, and floor pads or mats; joysticks for video games; computer cursor control devices, namely, computer mouse; flash memory cards; video game software, computer game programs".

Web chatter suggests the proof is in the detail of the application - the original Dreamcast didn't have a floor mat accessory and the Dreamcast's Visual Memory Unit (VMU) is far from the flash memory cards we know and use today - although we'd say that the VMU is pretty similar to the modern day memory cards.

The filing could, of course, simply be a further effort from SEGA to protect the Dreamcast name. According to the USPTO the original Dreamcast trademark is still active. However, the two descriptions are very different. You can see the original trademark description here.

We've contacted SEGA UK for comment. We'll update you on this potentially megaton story as we get it.

Meh. After the Sega CD, 32X, and Saturn I hope Sega stays making lousy Sonic games for other consoles.
Still, you've got to think that the success of the Wii is pretty inspiring to those guys.

I don't think its anything other than standard legal trademark protection stuff IMO. I don't think this gen has any room for a fourth console (dunno about next?).

I have no idea what hardware Sega would use anyways. Judging from some of the games they've bene putting out, I don't think R&D budget is that deep. The Xbox was the closest thing to a successor; Sega basically tossed MS the idea after working with them on WinCE for the DC.

Oh God, PLEASE

If SEGA came back into the console business, I would drop to my tears and weep towards the heavens. A prayer would have been answered.

With Sega making craptastic Sonic games, I'm not too excited. I loved my Genesis and the Dreamcast would have been great had it not been for the horrible controllers, but I just don't have faith in the company anymore.

still my favorite console.

Ditto... the Dreamcast is still easily my favorite console of all time. Unfotunately, like Defective mentioned, I don't have much faith in Sega these days. I don't know if some of their most talented people left, and they've shuffled their studios, but they just don't seem to have "it" anymore, once the Dreamcast died. :(

With that said, if they came back with a Dreamcast 2, and they went back to their roots, and pulled off some of the stuff that made the original Dreamcast such a great console, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I just don't see it happening though.

SEGA is out of the console business, they've said it. They're strictly software (and arcades machines).

i don't think they're gonna be able to release anything that can compare to the 360 or PS3...

Right now people are eating up the craptastic sonic games, they don't have to make good video games because they don't have too. If they created their own console they would put much more work into the games......at least I think they would.

Sega is making more money doing just software so they will proably stick to that. The sega Saturn is my favorite system to date the controllers were great it had a hand full of great RPG's, sega rally, Virtuall fighter, Time Cop, Shining force 3, nights into dreams, bomberman, and many others.

You'd never know with these corporations.. ;)

They've publicly stated that they wont ever attempt it again. Just because they renew a trademark doesn't mean they are planning a come back.. it just means they want to keep the brand they created.

Just splashed out a bit on some classic beauties for my Megadrive: Sonic series, Streets of Rage, Micro Machines, and Road Rash II. ROAD RASH.

ROAD RASH.

More Sega, please. Take your NES and your SNES and your little fat moustachio'd man running across some bricks, and put them in yourself. Road Rash, for christ's sakes.

I just don't see sega trying to make another console either.

That being said sonic games aside sega still makes some great games. I personaly can't wait to play the new nights game. Looks a little weird with the rocket mode for night and whatnot but Nights into Dreams is one of my favorite games of all time. Hell I even have Christmas nights still(the demo that you could play through as sonic).

What sega needs to do is get with MS and make a good dreamcast emulator for the 360. Hell a good saturn emulator as well. I would love to be able to download some of the great saturn and dreamcast games without dragging out the old console for it.

Hell if the did it for the PS3 I would go buy one for it.

Well, i dont know.What killed them was developmental support to begin with and lack of EA games also. Im more than sure that a company like MS would make sure that a DC2 wouldnt make it off the planning table.
I had a DC and that bought me back into gaming (nfl2k to be exact) and loved it but this console business is very cut throat now and room for another one is very slim.

If sega were to get enough backing to put money into a console, I think it would be financial suicide, especially if they tried to compete against any console.

Kind of hoping this is true also, loved the Dreamcast for some reason (well any console for that matter) even brought an Japanese limited edition one (Revolution 7), going to collect all the Dreamcast games someday.

Yes having to pick 4 Consoles would annoy some people but I think it would be interesting :D.

Why even bother. Sega has been going downhill for awhile now.

Shadow the Hedgehog, nuff' said.

What first party titles would sega have though? Sonic isn't what he use to be.

Sega has no chance of entering the market. They can't compete against MS or Sony who can sell their consoles for hundreds less than they cost to make. Sony and MS have lost billions to try to get market share.

The only way Sega could compete is if they get countries to enforce anti-dumping laws against Sony and MS, and make them sell their consoles for what they cost to make. But Sony and MS own to many politicians for those laws to ever be applied to them.

Any chance of the Sega Rally Revo having lan play on the PC? Maybe a new Daytona?

Debunked. Can't say I'm surprised at all.

Gamedaily.com said:
Sega of America PR Director Charlie Scibetta is currently looking into the trademark issue and why it was updated. In the meantime he told us that Sega "has no plans to get back into the console business," adding, "We're very happy being a platform agnostic company and have moved up the ranks the past three years from #11, to #9, and now stand at #6 in terms of our market share by units among third-party publishers. We like our current strategy and have no plans to change in the middle of this outstanding growth."

Link

Maybe we can get a Shadow the Hedgehog 2 now. Yay!

no surprise there

anyway, if sega were to get back in the game, i would certainly pick up their console, as it is i might even be more inclined to be a sega fanboy (if they made a decent console) then a nintendo fanboy, for some reason nintendo games are great, but its the 360 that gets me comming back all the time.

i always saw the xbox as the spiritual succesor to the dreamcast, both of which i loved (save the unreliable as fuck xbox dvd drive), and im currently loving the 360 too

I'm surprised with all the Sega hate around here. They were a fine company that created a lot of fun times for people. A few crap shoot games don't mean anything when looking at the big picture. I enjoyed the Master System, Genesis, CD, and I for one loved the DC. I would welcome them back to the pack, but for the next generation. It's a little late to enter now, and Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo have too strong a footing right now. I almost wish that Sega would've merged with Nintendo when they were leaving the scene- but here's to dreaming right?!

Its not really hate for sega its just common sense. Everyone loved the DC but the ps2 literally pushed them off the cliff with games and 3rd party support. Would you really think that a company like MS would allow them to get back into this business? Also, games like nfl2k, beside their in house developers, are what made the dc, they sold VC a very long time ago. The most important thing they need is third party support, MS learned this last generation, and that would be exactly what a company like MS would buy up to prevent sega to get back.

IMO there's no way that this gaming economy could support a fourth console.. development costs too much, most people already own a "now" gen console, sega doesn't have the mindshare it used to (except for the few of us who fondly remember their past consoles {hell I loved my genesis,saturn and dreamcast}) and for the love of god I don't want more controllers laying around my house.

I wonder if this is a possibility:

MS turns their hardware division over to Sega to oversee and produce, and MS returns to just providing software and support to Sega. Think about it, Sega and MS as first party developers. The other consoles wouldn't stand a chance. It would be an easy way for them to still cash in on all of the console business, yet not loose the money they are loosing on the 360 hardware side of things. Not to mention, it would allow MS to deeply penetrate the Japanese market and become a real player in that market. Maybe?

Either way, the DC was my all time favorite console too. The DC pioneered online console play and had a great selection of first rate titles. I remember the all nighters playing Worms World Party and Daytona USA online.

The only way Sega gets back in the game is if they join forces with Microsoft. MS is looking for a way to capture a much larger segment of the Japanese market and theres no better way than letting a Japanese gaming company handle the task...it would be awesome if the Xbox 720 was actually called Dreamcast 2...or Saturn/Genesis part deux.:p

I wonder if this is a possibility:

MS turns their hardware division over to Sega to oversee and produce, and MS returns to just providing software and support to Sega. Think about it, Sega and MS as first party developers. The other consoles wouldn't stand a chance. It would be an easy way for them to still cash in on all of the console business, yet not loose the money they are loosing on the 360 hardware side of things. Not to mention, it would allow MS to deeply penetrate the Japanese market and become a real player in that market. Maybe?

Either way, the DC was my all time favorite console too. The DC pioneered online console play and had a great selection of first rate titles. I remember the all nighters playing Worms World Party and Daytona USA online.

Thing is ms can do a better job at hardware then sega can. If anything what would happen if ms was to buy sega and make them an in-house developer? I think the chances of it happening are slim to none but hell it would be interesting.

It may seem crazy, but i totally think it could work. The market is dying for a low cost alternative that can still compete graphically with the big guys. If someone could put out a console that competes with the Wii cost wise, and the 360 and PS3 graphically, done deal.

It may seem crazy, but i totally think it could work. The market is dying for a low cost alternative that can still compete graphically with the big guys. If someone could put out a console that competes with the Wii cost wise, and the 360 and PS3 graphically, done deal.
There is a reason the ps3 and 360 cost what they do. By the time something could come out and compete graphics wise at a lower price, ms and sony could probably afford to lower their prices as well.

One thing is for sure. MS has enough capital to take punches and keep on going. Sony is in the same boat. Though the idea of MS picking up Sega makes sense for the Japanese market, I think it unlikely.

They say over and over they aren't getting back into the console market, but they never said anything about the handheld market. Dreamcast Portable anyone?? :cool:

They say over and over they aren't getting back into the console market, but they never said anything about the handheld market. Dreamcast Portable anyone?? :cool:
umm..yeah, They can ask Sony about competing with Nintendo in the handheld market. Besides...Sega already tried that in the 90's and failed.

Back