PlayStation Vue Gives You Best Value By Cutting Viacom Channels

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the official PlayStation blog, Sony has decided that, in order to give you the best value, it needed to cut MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon and Spike from its PlayStation Vue service.

Additionally, starting at 12:01am Eastern Time on November 11, all Viacom-owned networks will no longer be available on PlayStation Vue. This includes channels such as Comedy Central, Spike, and MTV. At PlayStation, we always strive to provide the best value and service for our fans. As part of our ongoing evaluation of the PlayStation Vue offering, we have determined that removing the bundle of channels from Viacom is the best way for us to continue to offer the most compelling value to our fans.

I wouldn't have any problem with them dropping those channels, if I was a subscriber, although my kids might have a problem with Nickelodeon going away.

Because they want negotiations to continue, they can't say "Viacom attempted to charge us exorbitant fees for their programming and we don't want to increase the price our customers pay."

AMC tried the same tactics because "FUCK YOU", The Walking Dead, that's why. Don't blame Sony, the content providers are the ones milking consumers dry.

Damn. I occasionally used Comedy Central. Rarely.

Mostly I stick with NHL games adult swim and a few things here and there (like Preacher on AMC)

Well i was thinking about getting Vue because my local cable provider removed all Viacom channels about a year ago and i really wanted comedy central back. Guess i wont be switching now.

Because they want negotiations to continue, they can't say "Viacom attempted to charge us exorbitant fees for their programming and we don't want to increase the price our customers pay."
Other carriers have said mroe or less exactly that about various content providers. Why shouldn't they say it.

The reality is that people want maybe 30% of those channels and the rest are bullshit filler to get carrier fees and places to run bulk ads.

AMC tried the same tactics because "FUCK YOU", The Walking Dead, that's why. Don't blame Sony, the content providers are the ones milking consumers dry.

Which I've always found to be an idiotic, stubborn stance by media companies, given that consumers can just vote with their, well...torrents.

I work for a cable company and i can see why they are doing this ,viacom are greedy fucks that want to overcharge for those channels, thats why sony is droping it, the cable company i work for would love to do that to but cant, there only option is to pass the cost down to the customer, thats why tv is so expensive, greedy networks

Well i was thinking about getting Vue because my local cable provider removed all Viacom channels about a year ago and i really wanted comedy central back. Guess i wont be switching now.

Check out Hulu. It's not just a commercial ridden online tv portal anymore. For $10 you get commercial free HD episodes on demand of pretty much every channel that matters, from just about any device you want. It's not perfect, but it has value. Now once I get caught up on shows I've missed out on, will I keep it? Eh, not sure. Them not having first run episodes of all shows (some, but not all) is kind of a bummer. Now that being said, the $5.99 bargain plan that includes commercials you can't skip gets old SUPER fast. I feel it's worth the extra $4 to get around that.

They have a free trial, see what happens. If the Mrs wouldn't murder me if she didn't have her HGTV and Cooking channels I think I could cut cable and just use Netflix/Hulu and OTA

Comedy Central is the only tragedy from that list.

Godamn, Nickelodeon is still around? I remember Ren and Stimpy from my childhood days. Cartoon Network is a MUCH more accomplished channel in terms of kid's entertainment, last I watched TV.

Godamn, Nickelodeon is still around? I remember Ren and Stimpy from my childhood days. Cartoon Network is a MUCH more accomplished channel in terms of kid's entertainment, last I watched TV.

When my kids were much younger, I wanted to show them Ren and Stimpy. Cool, I'll download a few episodes...

Did you know there were some adult themed (titties and such) episodes? I didn't....

Check out Hulu. It's not just a commercial ridden online tv portal anymore. For $10 you get commercial free HD episodes on demand of pretty much every channel that matters, from just about any device you want. It's not perfect, but it has value. Now once I get caught up on shows I've missed out on, will I keep it? Eh, not sure. Them not having first run episodes of all shows (some, but not all) is kind of a bummer. Now that being said, the $5.99 bargain plan that includes commercials you can't skip gets old SUPER fast. I feel it's worth the extra $4 to get around that.

They have a free trial, see what happens. If the Mrs wouldn't murder me if she didn't have her HGTV and Cooking channels I think I could cut cable and just use Netflix/Hulu and OTA
Im going to sound really stupid, but i dont like to actively select content to watch like netflix or hulu. I like to just flip on the tv, select my favorite channel and watch whatever is on while im on my computer. I dont care that much about shows where i will go select an episode or season to watch. But have a re run of south park on and ill just leave it on the channel and watch it. Im in a small minority where i dont really like streaming video services because i have to select what I want to watch. Im weird.

These networks bundle many of their channels together and require that bundle to be sold in entirety to cable providers to get you to pay more. It sucks for consumers who wish it were possible to just a la carte your tv selection. I think streaming channels is going to help move in that direction.

Comedy Central is the only tragedy from that list.

To be fair Nickelodeon did bring us Avatar The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. The latter probably being some of the best animation and art direction I've even seen. Otherwise can't say I've cared for their programming. (Outside of Invader Zim)

time to cancel vue.

Only loser is consumer. Sony keeps the rate the same, while their costs drop.

time to cancel vue.

Dropping 1 package isn't going to affect their price enough to justify changing the price of the subscription. If they changed subscription price based on a fraction percent profit margin adjustment it would always be changing.

Dropping 1 package isn't going to affect their price enough to justify changing the price of the subscription. If they changed subscription price based on a fraction percent profit margin adjustment it would always be changing.

Its a huge drop, about 15 channels overall. Its about a 15% drop in channels in each package.

at this rate pretty much everyone will remove viacom channels. it's the same with the whole fox sports 1 and FS 2, there's only a few providers out there that carry fox sports 2 because no one wants to pay the ridiculous prices fox wants.

Im going to sound really stupid, but i dont like to actively select content to watch like netflix or hulu. I like to just flip on the tv, select my favorite channel and watch whatever is on while im on my computer. I dont care that much about shows where i will go select an episode or season to watch. But have a re run of south park on and ill just leave it on the channel and watch it. Im in a small minority where i dont really like streaming video services because i have to select what I want to watch. Im weird.

I was like you years ago. However after a few years of only doing netflix or Amazon I no longer miss channel surfing. Especially since for the few things I watch I'm spending $20/mo give or take between netflix and Amazone vs $200/mo with cable. The only thing I miss are currently broadcasting shows which I never watched until I could binge the entire season anyhow. Personally I like over $2000 a year in my pocket a ton more than mindlessly channel surfing.

Ah yes they also said EA Access provides no value to their gamers... If they're using this as an excuse and not passing the savings then it is BS.

meh

but they replace it with BBC... even more meh now that top gear is gone. Long as they don't raise the price i don't care.

time to cancel vue.

Funny you blame sony and not viacom for this predicament.

Why do people all blame the cable companies, they don't set the prices for this bundled shit!!!

Why do people all blame the cable companies, they don't set the prices for this bundled shit!!!
Becuese if all the cable companys gew some balls and said we are not paying more the content companies would stop rasing the rates.

I dont have a contract with Viacom. I know at the end of the day its viacoms fault. But like I pointed out, with Viacom gone, that eliminated about 15% of the channels that are part of the package I was paying for. Sonys' costs are now dropping, but my package price isnt.

People blame the cable Co, because thats who we pay.

Vue was going to be my plan to cut cable...too bad. Comedy Central is one channel I want.

I guess SlingTV is still the option.

The UI on SlingTV was horribad when I had it. Made the switch to Vue and eh, I can deal with losing 3 channels - though MTV did have The Shannara Chronicles, which was a decent show, so that's a shame. What can you do? /shrug

I want my MTV!!

Ok, I understand you want to keep rates down but that sucks to not pass the savings to the consumer. I hope Vue has something in the works, because it is a lot better than Sling.

Back