Playstation VR Thread.

Domingo

Fully [H]
At first I was a little disappointed these weren't going to be available for Xmas. At the same time, with a wave of new PC hardware hitting this fall, my wallet should be glad these aren't coming quite yet.
This should give them time to get their ducks in a row with a pile of new launch games and features. I'm hopeful they will have enhanced versions of original PSVR titles, too.

Decko87

[H]ard|Gawd
Dual OLED screens with no screen door effect... I'll be in for one if they add PC support. Certainly not buying a 500 dollar console to buy a 400+ dollar headset however.

Aurelius

2[H]4U
Dual OLED screens with no screen door effect... I'll be in for one if they add PC support. Certainly not buying a 500 dollar console to buy a 400+ dollar headset however.
Don't think that's likely to happen. Both for business reasons (to drive PS5 sales, of course) and just because supporting computers involves a lot of extra development and testing. With that said, PSVR2 with a PS5 costs less than some PC-based VR options...

Decko87

[H]ard|Gawd
Don't think that's likely to happen. Both for business reasons (to drive PS5 sales, of course) and just because supporting computers involves a lot of extra development and testing. With that said, PSVR2 with a PS5 costs less than some PC-based VR options...
That's fair, and they're also ostensibly worse. I'd rather have the flexbility of my own machine as well. How else am I supposed to have anime girls in my living room?

jobert

Gawd
The cable will likely drive me nuts in any game where I have to actually move around. I quit using VR for a while until airlink came out as it bothers me that bad. That said I am willing to give it a try in the future after a pro version of the PS5 comes out and there are plenty of games to make it worthwhile.

MaZa

2[H]4U
The cable will likely drive me nuts in any game where I have to actually move around. I quit using VR for a while until airlink came out as it bothers me that bad. That said I am willing to give it a try in the future after a pro version of the PS5 comes out and there are plenty of games to make it worthwhile.

The choice of cable is really puzzling. It uses an USB cable, which means it uses video streaming. But if you are going to streaming then why not also wireless which is fantastic now that we are used to it? I was almost certain that wireless would be an aftermarket addon but after finding out that the cable is hardwired that is not going to happen. But if you hardwire the cable then why do streaming, which makes image quality worse, in the first place!? Why not use a clean, uncompressed and artifact free signal straight from the HDMI port!?

XenIneX

Gawd
The choice of cable is really puzzling. It uses an USB cable, which means it uses video streaming. But if you are going to streaming then why not also wireless which is fantastic now that we are used to it? I was almost certain that wireless would be an aftermarket addon but after finding out that the cable is hardwired that is not going to happen. But if you hardwire the cable then why do streaming, which makes image quality worse, in the first place!? Why not use a clean, uncompressed and artifact free signal straight from the HDMI port!?

They're probably using DisplayPort Alt Mode (or some functionally-equivalent proprietary abomination). There's plenty of bandwidth on a USB-C cable to losslessly feed a VR headset.

MaZa

2[H]4U
They're probably using DisplayPort Alt Mode (or some functionally-equivalent proprietary abomination). There's plenty of bandwidth on a USB-C cable to losslessly feed a VR headset.

Can PS5 do that? It does require special USB-C port with that feature after all.

XenIneX

Gawd
Can PS5 do that? It does require special USB-C port with that feature after all.

Per the iFixit teardown, it's got a Texas Instruments TUSB1044 chip which does:
  • Protocol Agnostic Reversible 4 Channel Linear Redriver Supporting up to 10 Gbps
    • USB Type-C with USB 3.1 Gen 2 and DisplayPort 1.4 as Alternate Mode.
  • Supports Processors with USB 3.1 and DisplayPort Mux Integrated for Type-C Applications

So... maybe.