Playstation VR Thread.

Resident Evil 4 will be getting a free VR update post-release.

https://twitter.com/BIO_OFFICIAL/status/1628311954904457216
1677160369126.png

There's an option within the PSVR2 setup to tell it you plan to stay seated. No clue if it'll work for everything, but that seems to be the key to using a surround-sound audio system right there.
The little earbuds that it comes with have a nice clip-in function, but I do hope they make some alternative audio options. My headsets won't fit with the visor on.
I find that I still start sweating with the headset on, and the top of the lenses still kinda fog up or blur for me. Not sure if that can be helped (with any VR set), but it's just like with the original PSVR in that regard.

I appreciate the simplicity of hooking it up, but my cat goes absolutely apeshit for the cable that hooks the headset into the PS5. No clue if it's a different material or what, but my cat took a bite out if it almost immediately. I'm gonna have to kick her out of the room every time I use this thing or otherwise she'll probably bite right through it while I'm playing.

is the PS VR2 a major improvement over the 1st gen?...how does it compare overall to the other VR headsets out there?...I haven't really been interested in buying a PS5 ever since Sony started porting all their major titles to PC but I would consider picking one up for VR (especially since the PS5 is actually readily available)

is the PS VR2 a major improvement over the 1st gen?...how does it compare overall to the other VR headsets out there?...I haven't really been interested in buying a PS5 ever since Sony started porting all their major titles to PC but I would consider picking one up for VR (especially since the PS5 is actually readily available)
I've seen reviews saying it's the best HMD released so far, which is quite the compliment. One of the things some people are complaining about is the feature that focuses the graphical fidelity on where your eyes are focused, that the blurring in your peripheral vision is distracting. I imagine that is to improve performance to the level required for VR rendering on the PS5.

Unfortunately, there may never be a driver made to use it on PC according to the person who got the first gen one working.

I've seen reviews saying it's the best HMD released so far, which is quite the compliment. One of the things some people are complaining about is the feature that focuses the graphical fidelity on where your eyes are focused, that the blurring in your peripheral vision is distracting. I imagine that is to improve performance to the level required for VR rendering on the PS5.

Unfortunately, there may never be a driver made to use it on PC according to the person who got the first gen one working.

so taking price out of the equation you would choose the PSVR2 over the Meta Quest and Valve Index?

so taking price out of the equation you would choose the PSVR2 over the Meta Quest and Valve Index?
Trick question. You can't use the Quest or Index on a PS5, and you can't use PSVR2 on PC.

That said, I do want to buy a PSVR2 some time this year. I had a good time with the original PSVR.

Setup was super easy and WOW, to me, the sensation is great, clear and bright.

As a PSVR1 owner, I'd call it evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Graphically I dunno if it's as big of a leap forward as I'd hoped. It suffers from most of the same form factor and viewing angle issues, too. That's only based on a little content so far, though.
However, hooking it up is like 5x as easy. Once I finally get used to the button layouts on these controllers, I can tell I'm gonna love these, too. Based on the menus, I feel like it might have some neat AR functionality, too. For me, the PSVR was a neat intro to VR gaming, but over time it was such a pain in the ass to hook up that I lost interest. As long as this thing is well supported, I don't think I'll be as quick to bail on it.

As a PSVR1 owner, I'd call it evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Graphically I dunno if it's as big of a leap forward as I'd hoped. It suffers from most of the same form factor and viewing angle issues, too. That's only based on a little content so far, though.
However, hooking it up is like 5x as easy. Once I finally get used to the button layouts on these controllers, I can tell I'm gonna love these, too. Based on the menus, I feel like it might have some neat AR functionality, too. For me, the PSVR was a neat intro to VR gaming, but over time it was such a pain in the ass to hook up that I lost interest. As long as this thing is well supported, I don't think I'll be as quick to bail on it.
I didn't play my PSVR as much as I should of because of how much of a chore it was to hook it up. The inside-out tracking and one USB-C cable is definitely an upgrade.

Day and night difference. Between the ~4K HDR res, the 120hz refresh, a very good OLED panel, light weight with great balance and the ability to wear your own glasses (for most) makes every other headset pales by comparison (except that it does not work on PC :grumpy:) . Although I'm not usually sensitive to screen blur and ghosting while playing games on a monitor. I start tearing up with a headaches (within 30 minutes) and motion sick (depending on the game) with all the 1st Gen headsets. So far, I haven't really experienced either one for the few hours that I spent between Horizon, GT7 and Kayak VR. Ordered late so unit just arrived this morning (FedEx did ring the door bell and waited for a signature). It seems the 120hz helps with the eye fatigue and headaches. and the fast pixel response help minimize the motion blur and ghosting. Some 2nd Gen headset may have an advantage in some area but as an overall system that's easy to setup, nothing beats the PS VR2 now.

Last edited:
Waiting to hear how non vr games look. Would be cool to sit in bed and play a game without a monitor

Also how vr games work or if they work while staying seated

Waiting to hear how non vr games look. Would be cool to sit in bed and play a game without a monitor

Just my opinion, but not good. I would rather have a tv. Also the screen seems too high for me, my eyes have to look higher up than they naturally sit.

VR2 is not true 4K and the HDR spec is not really that bright (but still better than most 2nd gen headset on the market) so non-VR games still look better on my TV. It also look quite stunning in cinematic mode for streaming media if you don't have a large high end 4K TV as it give a larger picture than viewing a 75" TV at 8' distance.

I tried my PSVR2 for the first time today. I really didn’t like it. The fresnel lenses make everything look blurry unless you’re dead on center and the display seemed pretty washed out.

I tried No Man’s Sky and the resolution was really low. It reminded me of Skyrim on the original PSVR. Pistol Whip looked nice but I could play that on my Quest Pro.

I am really leaning towards returning this because it was a lot of money and I just don’t think I’m enjoying it.

The fresnel lenses make everything look blurry unless you’re dead on center
Yes, you have to get the headset perfect, luckily i can crank that bola to hell and it stays put.

and the display seemed pretty washed out.
Yea, kinda weird to pair with an OLED. Love the fade to black, love the blacks, but the ANSI i think suffers. I had Fresnel anamorphic lens on an old projector and it was similar. Hard to explain until you've seen it.

I tried playing Horizon Forbidden West with the PSVR2 in cinematic mode but I wasn't impressed. There seems to be a screen door affect going on. The display in cinematic mode is not 100% crystal clear. It's definitely playable and the projected display is large but I'm not a fan of the grainy image.

I tried playing Horizon Forbidden West with the PSVR2 in cinematic mode but I wasn't impressed. There seems to be a screen door affect going on. The display in cinematic mode is not 100% crystal clear. It's definitely playable and the projected display is large but I'm not a fan of the grainy image.

It's called Mura, it's not exactly the same as a screen door effect, probably worse TBH. Basically defects in the display panels.

Back