PlayStation VR Sales Eclipse the 3 Million Mark

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Sony has announced that sales of their PlayStation VR HMD has eclipsed the 3 million mark. Software sales for VR titles on the platform are ready to pass the 22 million mark soon with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR leading the charge.

1. The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim VR - 2. PlayStation VR Worlds - 3. Rec Room - 4. Resident Evil 7 biohazard - 5. The Playroom VR - 6. Job Simulator - 7. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - 8. Batman: Arkham VR - 9. Farpoint - 10. Superhot VR

I wonder if they are designing the PS5 around being very VR capable.

How does PlayStation VR compare to Vive/Rift? (Obviously a well equipped PC with a nice GPU should trump it.)

It all comes down to what games you want to play. Each platform has a lot of exclusives. For me the PSVR was better due to portability.

while i do have a very respectful gaming pc, current vr headsets for pc are still a little to high to me, but i did get a psvr when it was on sale for 199 and i must say it does have its limitations but its done really well and it alot fun for what it is, i dont think its worth its original asking price but at 200 its well worth it

while i do have a very respectful gaming pc, current vr headsets for pc are still a little to high to me, but i did get a psvr when it was on sale for 199 and i must say it does have its limitations but its done really well and it alot fun for what it is, i dont think its worth its original asking price but at 200 its well worth it
I thought the $199 sku did not even include everything you needed to play all games in VR?

BTW why do you have a 4690k listed as an i7 in your sig?

Mmmh... Those numbers do not look good...

I mean, that's 22 months to sell what the Vita did in 9. And we know how Sony treated the Vita...

And the software sales numbers look padded as fuck. The only way they make sense is if they're including every sold copy of any game with an optional "VR Experience". (e.g. Every copy of Gran Turismo Sport or Rise of the Tomb Raider counts as a PSVR title, even though the overwhelming majority of players don't have PSVR.) And considering how few titles are full-price $60 games, I'm betting that Sony's take is way below what they were looking for.

I suspect that Media Molecule's Dreams is going to be PSVR's last big chance. If that doesn't turn out to be a massive system seller, I'm afraid this iteration of the platform has had it.

Sometimes you have to crawl before you can walk. More units in the wild is more potential for content purchase for developers. This is a good thing.

How does PlayStation VR compare to Vive/Rift? (Obviously a well equipped PC with a nice GPU should trump it.)

I bought a PSVR for my PS4 pro last november and it's great. I just got a rift a week ago and in most aspects it's better. My rig has 16gb ram, i7 4790k and an RX 580 4gb. It runs most games I've played and medium - high settings pretty well. The one thing that I hate on the rift are lens flares or whatever they're called. Basically any time there's a light on a dark background you get some sort of lens glare that's annoying. You don't really notice it when gaming but it is nonexistant on the psvr.

I bought a PSVR for my PS4 pro last november and it's great. I just got a rift a week ago and in most aspects it's better. My rig has 16gb ram, i7 4790k and an RX 580 4gb. It runs most games I've played and medium - high settings pretty well. The one thing that I hate on the rift are lens flares or whatever they're called. Basically any time there's a light on a dark background you get some sort of lens glare that's annoying. You don't really notice it when gaming but it is nonexistant on the psvr.

For me alot of that lens flare gets amplified from any grease on the lens, either hair or skin. Also it improved once you properly center your eyes in the "sweet" spot..using the alignment portion of the Rift OS.

Mmmh... Those numbers do not look good...

I mean, that's 22 months to sell what the Vita did in 9. And we know how Sony treated the Vita...

And the software sales numbers look padded as fuck. The only way they make sense is if they're including every sold copy of any game with an optional "VR Experience". (e.g. Every copy of Gran Turismo Sport or Rise of the Tomb Raider counts as a PSVR title, even though the overwhelming majority of players don't have PSVR.) And considering how few titles are full-price $60 games, I'm betting that Sony's take is way below what they were looking for.

I suspect that Media Molecule's Dreams is going to be PSVR's last big chance. If that doesn't turn out to be a massive system seller, I'm afraid this iteration of the platform has had it.

Oh? I thought these games all came out in specific VR versions.
Ok, the ones above that have VR in the title are a separate version just for VR. Resident Evil would work in either mode and would provide an inflated number like you said. Probably same with the other titles that don't specifically put VR in the title.

That being said, I am surprised RE7 isn't at the top of the list.

Oh? I thought these games all came out in specific VR versions.
Ok, the ones above that have VR in the title are a separate version just for VR. Resident Evil would work in either mode and would provide an inflated number like you said. Probably same with the other titles that don't specifically put VR in the title.

That being said, I am surprised RE7 isn't at the top of the list.
Horror is somewhat of a niche genre, and immersive VR horror would be doubly so. So, I'm surprised it's as high as it is.

What's concerning is what's above it on the list. You've got a mildly physics-based limited sandbox aping the art style of Nintendo Wii -era Mii-trash. You've got a tech-demo collection that screams, "we don't know what'll work in VR, so we're just throwing this box of shit at the wall and seeing what sticks". And, well, Skyrim -- which is at least a game, though old and obscenely overpriced. Kind of concerning that the most compelling PSVR experience is that retread.

But even that kinda gets worse. See, if you run the numbers, the estimates of Skyrim VR's sales from its 11/17/17 release through the end of 2017 come to about 37k copies for the entire Christmas season. And it was the pack-in title for one of the PSVR packages -- which was desperation-priced for the same period. So if that's the absolute peak -- launch window, with holiday rush, and adding clearance-priced platform pack-ins -- how bad are the long-tail sales on an average Tuesday? Has Skyrim VR even managed to clear 100k total sales on PSVR?

This isn't good.

Back