Playstation VR price/release announced

I wouldn't be surprised if consoles follow a more PC-like upgrade path (or would 'smartphone-like' be more accurate?). A few years ago I would've never believe a console would need to 'install' a game and consoles would forever be 'place the disc inside and play), but they all require installations now.

I really don't think smartphones are good example for getting good games. Top end phones are under-served, bottom end phones get crushed by requirements. It's aim for the middle an hope it works, really a mess.

If I was a Developer, I would just ignore any PS4.5 because most of the market would be PS4.0, and the PS4.5 would be backward compatible anyway. Given that Sony releases a new PS every 6-7 years, that is 2019.

The only thing I can see is they pull PS5 a year early in 2018. Should be able to do console 4K by then (maybe).

IMO PS next is 2018 at the earliest, and it will be a PS5, not a dot release.

just gonna bring up HDDVD vs Bluray argument here. I remember ppl swearing HDDVD was superior, but the sole fact of the matter was home penetration with the PS3 made HDDVD die a stupid quick death. Not saying other VR competition will die out, but it bodes well for adoption for there to be that large of a market for a VR device. And, like others have said, ive only read positive experiences so far from ppl who have been able to demo the system. I'm in for one. You should want the Playstation VR to succeed. I really dont know why anyone would want to shit on this device with a backer like Sony and huge dev resources already on board.

Also 399 is spot on. I don't see how anyone could complain about that price. Sure you need to add on the cam and move controllers, but lots of us already have them, so its no big deal. Even then its at a very great price point imo.

I also think it is too soon for a console to do 4K inexpensively. You really need something like a GTX 970. Can't see that power in an inexpensive console for a few years yet.

While I have no insight into whether or not they'll try I agree it's an over-optimistic target, since they still don't offer 1080 across the board even after 2 generations of "HD" consoles. They may come out with something which can technically render at 4K, but nothing is going to push that many pixels with any sort of reasonable graphical fidelity. That's still asking a lot of high end PCs.

Not to mention I doubt the current adoption of 4K TVs really justifies it.

Yar, targeting 4K gaming is a bit hard to swallow. If anything, I read that they were looking at bringing 4K Blu-Ray playback to the PS4 (which I thought it already had). With that said, Spencer hinting at a hardware refresh coming sooner than later for Xbone and now these rumours about the PS4, they could very well be looking at a decent refresh.

I just really hope, if Sony does go ahead and offer an upgraded console, there's a decent trade-up program offered by retailers. And if they do refresh their console, please offer some sort of expansion port for future upgrades.

I think that is a baseless rumor. If consoles start having upgrade versions, that pretty much removes some of the big selling points. Single target for Devs, not getting left behind for buyers.

I also think it is too soon for a console to do 4K inexpensively. You really need something like a GTX 970. Can't see that power in an inexpensive console for a few years yet.
While I have no insight into whether or not they'll try I agree it's an over-optimistic target, since they still don't offer 1080 across the board even after 2 generations of "HD" consoles. They may come out with something which can technically render at 4K, but nothing is going to push that many pixels with any sort of reasonable graphical fidelity. That's still asking a lot of high end PCs.

Not to mention I doubt the current adoption of 4K TVs really justifies it.

Regardless of the specs of a machine, developers will always be choosing between max res / 60fps and a better looking game at 30fps or lower resolution. Same thing will happen when the 4K console shift finally happens.

Regardless of the specs of a machine, developers will always be choosing between max res / 60fps and a better looking game at 30fps or lower resolution. Same thing will happen when the 4K console shift finally happens.

If Sony really released a PS4.5, developers would just ignore it, because it would be a small portion of the market and backward compatible.

It's just a stupid rumor.

If Sony really released a PS4.5, developers would just ignore it, because it would be a small portion of the market and backward compatible.

It's just a stupid rumor.

Totally agree on PS4.5 being a horrible idea.

Pretty pumped. Wife found me a Move controller for $14 at eb. I'm thinking these refurbished units will be disappearing fast.

I was worried Sony would unveil an updated controller, however they're now advertising bundles w the same move controller.

Pretty pumped. Wife found me a Move controller for $14 at eb. I'm thinking these refurbished units will be disappearing fast.

I was worried Sony would unveil an updated controller, however they're now advertising bundles w the same move controller.

The 'complete' PlayStation VR bundle is $500, pre-orders open next Tuesday

The basic, $399 PlayStation VR set will not be available for pre-order, according to Sony.

Since everyone who preorders will be getting two Move controllers, I suspect they will be a getting a ton of Move controllers traded in.

I found my Move controllers and the batteries are 100% dead / won't hold a charge. I guess it works out for me since I didn't have the Camera.

Last edited:
I'm so going to get the bundle if I'm able to and the ordering page doesn't crash while ordering.

I preordered the big bundle today. Already have everything, accessory wise, but i wanted a spot, ill preorder the core bundle on the 29th if possible.

Looks like I am going to shoot for the $400 bundle now, never saw the big bundle hit Amazon :(

Im still on the fence with all this, are there any display units out in the field?

Amazon sold out within 5 mins but i was able to pre-order via Best Buys.

Amazon sold out within 5 mins but i was able to pre-order via Best Buys.

Just preordered at Best Buy, thanks. I'll switch my order over to Amazon if I get a chance between now an launch.

You're welcome and I plan to do the same once Amazon opens up again.

Best Buy is still taking orders, there is no way they have that many VR headsets... I feel this is already doomed.

Thanks for jinxing it, LOL!

Best Buy chronically fucks up preorders and popular items on their website. What will happen here is a bunch of people won't even know they are fucked until launch day and they get a generic "Item has been delayed" email. It is a terrible sign when Amazon sells out in five minutes and Best Buy is still taking orders after seven hours :( Best Buy's website is run by complete stooges that can't handle anything where demand exceeds supply.

Best Buy chronically fucks up preorders and popular items on their website. What will happen here is a bunch of people won't even know they are fucked until launch day and they get a generic "Item has been delayed" email. It is a terrible sign when Amazon sells out in five minutes and Best Buy is still taking orders after seven hours :( Best Buy's website is run by complete stooges that can't handle anything where demand exceeds supply.

I have no doubt it will end up this way but since I ordered from Best Buys and will probably get the email, I'm blaming you since you were the first to mention it. =)

$400, ouch, man these VR things are phone prices! I think I'll just stick with the Oculus or Rift when they hit the market.

I have no doubt it will end up this way but since I ordered from Best Buys and will probably get the email, I'm blaming you since you were the first to mention it. =)

And Best Buy is still taking preorders! I've seen a few people preorder at Best Buy in the last four hours and they are super excited about it, going to suck when those orders get nuked. I have a backup preorder at a local GameStop now, I'm covered :eek:

Lol I see people refer to Oculus and Rift seperately so much I get confused.

Oculus: Name of company that researches, develops, and manufactures VR head mounted displays (HMD)
Rift: HMD device manufactured by Oculus previously sold to public as lower quality development kits DK1 and DK2.

I guess the confusion is that Oculus and Rift can be used interchangeably since Oculus hasn't put out an official consumer product yet. I forgot what it's called when your name becomes synonymous with any product in a given market but it's bad. I.E. Band-Aid is a brand of consumer adhesive bandages but everyone refers to all of these products, regardless of brand as Band-Aid.

Oculus: Name of company that researches, develops, and manufactures VR head mounted displays (HMD)
Rift: HMD device manufactured by Oculus previously sold to public as lower quality development kits DK1 and DK2.

I guess the confusion is that Oculus and Rift can be used interchangeably since Oculus hasn't put out an official consumer product yet. I forgot what it's called when your name becomes synonymous with any product in a given market but it's bad. I.E. Band-Aid is a brand of consumer adhesive bandages but everyone refers to all of these products, regardless of brand as Band-Aid.

I know I was just confusing Rift for Vive, I just always call Rift, Oculus.

And Best Buy is still taking preorders! I've seen a few people preorder at Best Buy in the last four hours and they are super excited about it, going to suck when those orders get nuked. I have a backup preorder at a local GameStop now, I'm covered :eek:

I just did a backup order at my local GameStop also, just in case Best Buys over sells and your comments ends up being true, LOL.

Just an FYI, I was listening to the PS I Love You XOXO podcast where they had an interview with Shuhei Yoshida. Apparently the reason for the October release date is because Sony strongly underestimated the demand for the PS VR. Shuhei indicated that they were originally ready for a June/July release, but delayed it to October to ensure there were plenty of units available at launch. So Best Buy and Gamestop still taking pre-orders for launch date delivery is still entirely possible.

Just pre-ordered on Amazon and going to cancel my other orders from Best Buys and Gamestop

Looks like Amazon jumped the gun. Pre-ordered on Amazon at 1:58 PM PST through the mobile app using 1-Click Preorder. Glad to be on the Amazon bandwagon!

Also just got one at 1:58PM PST using the mobile app. *high five*

Now to see if I can cancel the Gamestop order without actually talking to a Gamestop employee...

Amazon has it in stock still, much longer than last time. I think my assumption was right that there is going to be a large quantity available and that is why Best Buy and Gamestop never stopped taking pre-orders.

Edit: Out of stock within an hour this time.

Last edited:
Back