"Playstation VR Is Ridiculously Polished For Something Still in Development"

zamardii12

2[H]4U
I personally can't wait for the Playstation VR, and I personally believe PSVR will make or break the possibility of VR being mainstream. But this latest just got me even more excited.

"Can it really compete with Oculus Rift and HTC Vive? Having just tried it, I can safely say: Hell yes."

"Yet as rough as the alpha version of the was, it made one thing clear: The PS VR headset itself is very close to being finalized and feels absolutely nothing like the Rift or the Vive felt at this stage of the game."

"First, there’s only one necessary plug needed between headset and console. Total. The Vive has an entire melange of cords and ports needed to get to gaming and the Rift requires at least a USB cord and HDMI cable (bundled together to snake out of the headset to the PC)."

"And second, it’s really easy to put on and focus the headset. Both the Rift and the Vive require some adjustments to get content in focus, particularly if, like me, you’re a stunning example of human evolution and require glasses to see the world. While the Rift and Vive are more customizable than PS VR there’s something to be said for a headset that just works. I wore a lot of headsets last night and never had to do more than make sure I had each properly seated on my noggin. Focus was always smooth."

"After spending the last month living and breathing VR, I’m surprised at how refreshing the PS VR demo felt. There’s a polish to the experience that’s just never been there with the Rift and Vive."

I personally think this is the biggest thing:

"The Vive was created by a mobile phone company and the Rift by a Kickstarter startup. The PS VR is being built by one of the largest consumer electronics companies in the world, and it has decades of experience, not just in gadgets, but specifically in gaming. They’re also the third major headset to the game so they’ve no doubt learned a lot from the early missteps of Oculus and HTC."

Sony for years has been perfecting their camera, motion tracking technology starting with the Playstation 2. I think Sony has the best chance for success in the VR space as of right now. It has all their developers and partners making games for it. I just hope Sony sticks with it and really pushes it. I know the arguments on these forums are going to be about how the PS4 is so underpowered, but I think the experience itself, the cost, and the fact that it doesn't have 452 wires running all over the damn place to make it work is going to be a hit. Not to mention that there are well over 40 million people already who have a PS4 and developers can take advantage of the hardware given enough time to really take advantage of the hardware. I think it's entirely possible to have a game that looks as good as Uncharted 4 or The Order 1886 in VR one day.

Oh, and Ace Combat 7 is being made from the ground-up for PSVR. A fucking ACE COMBAT game made specifically for VR is a Holy shit moment. And this isn't going to be any Ace Combat Assault Horizon bullshit. This is going to be the Ace Combat we've been wanting for a long time.

http://gizmodo.com/playstation-vr-is-ridiculously-polished-for-something-s-1769594537

I want to add this quote I found that perfectly describes my feelings towards the VR competition:

"But affordability and accessibility are just as, if not more, important than capability and specs. At least when it comes to the general public."

Last edited:
I just hope Sony sticks with it and really pushes it.

They seem to have got a lot right so far, but this is the key point. It's no secret that Sony doesn't have a great record of long term support for its flavour-of-the-month peripherals. If they do come out with a PS4K, and it has a closer relationship with PSVR, then it has a better chance.

I can easily believe it's a more polished physical experience than the PC headsets. If they were to open it up to PC users, who knows.

Controls sometimes felt jittery

And there's not a lot they can do about that given they're using previously-released Move controllers, short of coming out with a new version, but that wouldn't go down well.

Last edited:
yeah im most excited about the fact that there are so many ground up titles coming to the PS. Lets be honest, PC gaming can barely manage a PC only AAA title, let alone a plethora of quality/meaningful VR ones, without them having to rely on a Console first title to port. We all know spec wise the Sony was is down, but if anyone can help get VR to the masses, it will be this headset.

The controllers are reported to suck in a big way.
They had better fix that.

The controllers are reported to suck in a big way.
They had better fix that.

I have a feeling that the Move controllers will just be the first iteration of the motion controls for PS VR. I think they wanted to release PS VR this year with some form of motion controls so they just adapted the Move controllers for a faster release. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce some "enhanced" motion controlers next year that are much better.

I have a feeling that the Move controllers will just be the first iteration of the motion controls for PS VR. I think they wanted to release PS VR this year with some form of motion controls so they just adapted the Move controllers for a faster release. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce some "enhanced" motion controlers next year that are much better.

I have my fingers crossed they revise the controllers before launch. Move controllers just feel like cheap shit with poor feeling buttons + body on the controller feels like a three cent plastic tube.

Back