Playstation Vita

The game I was looking forward to playing on this was Monster Hunter, but it looks like that's not going to happen. Hopefully they'll announce something soon.

The game I was looking forward to playing on this was Monster Hunter, but it looks like that's not going to happen. Hopefully they'll announce something soon.

they will probably release one by end of next year
there's no point releasing it on launch if they cant get at least million sales

so true. i have been working my way through the original duke nukem on iphone for a long time. the controls are just so hard to use. my dsi works for my portable gaming needs though, and probably will for a while still. i might get a vita used or after the first price drop/shrink.

Duke Nukem works great on my Xperia Play Phone!:p, so does quake 3 and all other fps!

im guessing that phone has buttons on it? :/

It has a slide out "controller." Instead of a keyboard, it has a Playstation style button lay out. Instead of analog sticks, it has analog touchpads. Better than having your thumbs cover the screen while you play.

PS Vita Memory Cards Are A Requirement, Games Won't Even Start Without Them

Games that require Memory Cards- and this includes games like Uncharted- will not even boot up without the memory card. This means that unlike game consoles, where you can start and even play a game without a memory card (so long as you don't save the game), you can't even play your game unless you have a memory card.

All PS Vita memory cards are proprietary and sold separately. They are not sold with the PS Vita.

The PS Vita memory cards are highly expensive, at least in Japan-Prices range from 2,200 yen (about $29 for a 4GB card) to 9,500 yen (about $145 for a 32GB card). This means that the cost of a PS Vita will effectively be $289 at least, if you want to utilize any of its features.

PS Vita Memory Cards Are A Requirement, Games Won't Even Start Without Them

Games that require Memory Cards- and this includes games like Uncharted- will not even boot up without the memory card. This means that unlike game consoles, where you can start and even play a game without a memory card (so long as you don't save the game), you can't even play your game unless you have a memory card.

All PS Vita memory cards are proprietary and sold separately. They are not sold with the PS Vita.

The PS Vita memory cards are highly expensive, at least in Japan-Prices range from 2,200 yen (about $29 for a 4GB card) to 9,500 yen (about $145 for a 32GB card). This means that the cost of a PS Vita will effectively be $289 at least, if you want to utilize any of its features.

if this is true then i will either not buy, or i will wait til someone makes a hack workaround. sony can shove $30 4gb flash memory straight up their asses. cool device otherwise though. :D

It has a slide out "controller." Instead of a keyboard, it has a Playstation style button lay out. Instead of analog sticks, it has analog touchpads. Better than having your thumbs cover the screen while you play.

Xperia PLAY FTW! I love having the gamepad functionality with Xperia PLAY optimized games & the FPSE PSX emulator is awesome when you want to actually play PSX games, too. :)

Since my phone already does what I want, I highly doubt I'll be buying a Vita. If they come out with a PLAY 2 or something close to the Vita, that will override the Vita right from the start.

im guessing that phone has buttons on it? :/

Xperia Play on the right. Looking forward to Android Street Fighter 4 in the new year!

Xperia PLAY FTW! I love having the gamepad functionality with Xperia PLAY optimized games & the FPSE PSX emulator is awesome when you want to actually play PSX games, too. :)

Since my phone already does what I want, I highly doubt I'll be buying a Vita. If they come out with a PLAY 2 or something close to the Vita, that will override the Vita right from the start.

110% agree but in other news Sony has just bought out Sony Ericsson so I'm now not sure the Xperia Play 2 will ever see the light of day if it could take potential sales from another department.

Xperia Play on the right. Looking forward to Android Street Fighter 4 in the new year!

110% agree but in other news Sony has just bought out Sony Ericsson so I'm now not sure the Xperia Play 2 will ever see the light of day if it could take potential sales from another department.

They sure do look close in appearance. I think that Sony had their hand in the PLAY's development entirely to make sure that it worked well & the Playstation Suite will be released soon, too. They may just be developing the next version for all we know with comparable technology to the Vita. That would soak up more cash from the cell phone market & provide them with revenue for the niche gaming smartphone market. The PLAY is the ONLY phone on the market with a gamepad. Sony is smart enough to keep that in mind.

They sure do look close in appearance. I think that Sony had their hand in the PLAY's development entirely to make sure that it worked well & the Playstation Suite will be released soon, too. They may just be developing the next version for all we know with comparable technology to the Vita. That would soak up more cash from the cell phone market & provide them with revenue for the niche gaming smartphone market. The PLAY is the ONLY phone on the market with a gamepad. Sony is smart enough to keep that in mind.

I hope your right, a quad core Xperia Play 2 with at least 1Gb of internal memory (the 400mb the Play has is it's one massive downfall IMO) with a camera at least like the Arc to run alongside the Vita would be awesome. Would make Sony a force in the handheld market.....I suppose thinking about it with mobile gaming seemingly swapping to mobile phones then this is a shrewd move.

I hope your right, a quad core Xperia Play 2 with at least 1Gb of internal memory (the 400mb the Play has is it's one massive downfall IMO) with a camera at least like the Arc to run alongside the Vita would be awesome. Would make Sony a force in the handheld market.....I suppose thinking about it with mobile gaming seemingly swapping to mobile phones then this is a shrewd move.

The next phone might be a true Playstation phone. I'm dreaming but it's a good thought that I hope works out.

Well it's good they got it out now at least. Any later of a release date would have been really bad.

Some of you guys say you love your PSP. Are there really any games besides god of war and ratchet and clank that are good?

Well it's good they got it out now at least. Any later of a release date would have been really bad.

Some of you guys say you love your PSP. Are there really any games besides god of war and ratchet and clank that are good?

There are if you like JRPGs.

This thing wont sell that well considering the entry price is essentially going to be $300. That would make it the most expensive console of any kind on the market. While it doesn't shock me that Sony is forcing more proprietary nonsense on people (looooooooooooooooooog history of that after all), I still think it is nothing but BS. Forcing people to use Memory Stick Pro Duos and what not was bad enough, but I really don't understand why they have decided to use a new format just for the Vita (outside of the fact that they can charge a massive premium on it). You would think they would have learned their lesson after they released PS3s with a $500+ dollar starting point. Oh well, I'd bet we'll see a pretty large price cut on the Vita just like we did with the 3DS....well....maybe not THAT big....
they have selective hearing when it comes to suggestions like they were told umd sucks by pretty much every user so they switched to a flash cart like nintendo uses i guess they could not learn from the fail of the psp go... To NOT CHANGE THE FUCKING MEMORY CARD FORMATS.... memory stick pro duo made sense they are sony's brand they are in a variety of sony products they made sense the m2 stupid idea but it made some sense for the same reasons no really good reason for the switch but again adapters and size made sense... NEW type of card completely WTF sony are you trying to kill the game division...

Ill be waiting till it drops to fail price and is hacked... finally an upgrade worthy of upgrading to over my psp 2000 with cfw of 6.60 firmware...

PSP's are so 2005.....we're talking about Playstation certified Android phones....

My PsVita rant from the Vita's Facebook page:

(Sorry for grammatical errors. Juat copied and pasted.

I think Sony hasn't learned from selling consoles at so high of a price that nobody wants to pay for it (playstation 3 launch, anyone)? And now you are selling a portable console for over $300 when you can get a playstation 3 for $250. And, sony again is making the mistake of missing the holiday season. Nintendo 3DS already went from $250 to $170 because nobody was buying it. Sales are going to be bad. Bad timing to release after holidays in a bad economy, with a high price, and only 3-5 hours battery life (with bluetooth, and wifi off, and 60% screen brightness)... Oh yeah, and NO REMOVABLE BATTERY! So once your Vita dies, you'd better be near a plug. And if that isn't enough, some games will require you to buy sony's proprietary memory card just to save games which is $120 for a 32gb memory card. Are you kidding me? You can buy a 32gb sd card for less than $50 these days. Wtf sony. I'm excited about the Vita's capabilities, bit damn will it be expensive. $250 wifi vita + $40-$50 game + memory card for game saves = way too expensive for portable console/playstation 3 + 2-3 games. /rant

Pricing concerns, given the memory card shenanigans, is a valid criticism...
though I will still buy it, without hesitation. I paid more for a PSP and Lumines at launch.

My PsVita rant from the Vita's Facebook page:

(Sorry for grammatical errors. Juat copied and pasted.

I think Sony hasn't learned from selling consoles at so high of a price that nobody wants to pay for it (playstation 3 launch, anyone)? And now you are selling a portable console for over $300 when you can get a playstation 3 for $250. And, sony again is making the mistake of missing the holiday season. Nintendo 3DS already went from $250 to $170 because nobody was buying it. Sales are going to be bad. Bad timing to release after holidays in a bad economy, with a high price, and only 3-5 hours battery life (with bluetooth, and wifi off, and 60% screen brightness)... Oh yeah, and NO REMOVABLE BATTERY! So once your Vita dies, you'd better be near a plug. And if that isn't enough, some games will require you to buy sony's proprietary memory card just to save games which is $120 for a 32gb memory card. Are you kidding me? You can buy a 32gb sd card for less than $50 these days. Wtf sony. I'm excited about the Vita's capabilities, bit damn will it be expensive. $250 wifi vita + $40-$50 game + memory card for game saves = way too expensive for portable console/playstation 3 + 2-3 games. /rant
i waiting for the price drop of fail to get one and by then it will be hacked

I notice a lot of people complaining about the $300 price tag & pointing out that the ps3 can be bought for less, etc...Funny enough, when Sony revealed the price points it was widely hailed as being a very low price. I'm wondering if you guys realize that small things often cost more than big things? Consider the price of an iphone, for instance...

Anyone else miss when all consoles/handhelds did was play games? I hate having to pay for all the bells and whistles.

I notice a lot of people complaining about the $300 price tag & pointing out that the ps3 can be bought for less, etc...Funny enough, when Sony revealed the price points it was widely hailed as being a very low price. I'm wondering if you guys realize that small things often cost more than big things? Consider the price of an iphone, for instance...

yeah personally i dont mind the base price at all, very reasonable. i mean a ps3 doesnt have a high pixel density touchscreen, 2 cameras, gyroscope, microphone/speakers, 3g/4g?, etc. and it doesnt have to be fit into such a tiny form factor. i am pretty pissed they didnt just go with sd, microsd, or even their own memory stick format. will see.

yeah personally i dont mind the base price at all, very reasonable. i mean a ps3 doesnt have a high pixel density touchscreen, 2 cameras, gyroscope, microphone/speakers, 3g/4g?, etc. and it doesnt have to be fit into such a tiny form factor. i am pretty pissed they didnt just go with sd, microsd, or even their own memory stick format. will see.

The sad thing is they likely did that to combat piracy since the only way to get things into the boys wool be through the port or Bluetooth they can try to limit what is put on the cards if we can just mount it like any other storage then they did it to nickel and dime us

32gb memory card will be $90~$99 most likely
i don't know where some of you guys are getting $120 from
by that logic, PS3 should be $330 USD on 160 gig model since it's 25000 yen in japan

32gb memory card will be $90~$99 most likely
i don't know where some of you guys are getting $120 from
by that logic, PS3 should be $330 USD on 160 gig model since it's 25000 yen in japan
as of this moment the new sony memory card that mind you exists only as sony vita memory cards is priced by sony at 140... you can get a micro sd 32 gig for about 30 on amazon...this is a problem for every consumer out there. as sandisk will have to license it from sony and they will have to price it maybe 120... so let me ask you this who is getting fucked by sony now... at least they bundle a 4gig
with it...

http://www.myce.com/news/sony-revea...e-memory-card-pricing-and-battery-life-51693/

Last edited:
http://www.destructoid.com/ps-vita-memory-cards-might-kill-your-wallet-211733.phtml

here $145 9500 yen if you have to get nit picky these are all sony projected prices they might be lower more likely they will be higher... Im going to wait and see how the 3rd party cards are priced and im also waiting for the price drop that sony will no doubt put on it in an attempt to sell this turd...

ps3/psvita is 25000 yen in japan that means ps3 should be $330 in states
psp is 16800 yen in japan that means psp should be $210 in states
please they always price is accordingly for each region
they don't straight convert into usd from yen

I was able to play with one today. This thing blows away any handheld device I've ever used.
I have a Nexus S 4g phone with superamoled and the Vita absolutely destroys it in colors, sharpness, and brightness.
I played a bit of uncharted, modnation racer, and little big planet. Everything was super smooth. Especially the home screen/xmb thing. I completely forgot about the cameras on it so I didn't test it. The touchscreen was very easy to use with LBP. Definite day one buy for me.
Things to note: Heavy, Large, and it felt like the X, O, square, and triangle buttons where tiny.

32873814745420999321125.jpg

Haha. Reminds me of the tapwave zodiac... so long ago. That thing was way ahead of its time.

Memory card prices from Gamestop are out.
Everyone in here was wrong. The conversion was accurate:

4GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $29.99
8GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $44.99
16GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $69.99
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card - $119.99

Ridiculous.

I paid like $60 for a 16 GB memory stick pro duo earlier this year for my PSP.

Kind of worth it (16 GB was worth it, but I agree, $60 is too much), but you're right, the prices are redonkulous.

Back